Author Topic: Tyler Zeller: He's Pretty Good!  (Read 2822 times)

Tyler Zeller: He's Pretty Good!
« on: February 07, 2016, 04:42:07 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
He's averaging 13.8 points and 6.5 rebounds in 20.8 minutes over the last 5 games on 68.6% shooting.  Thow in 1.5 assists and 1.3 blocks for good measure.

I'd resign Tyler Zeller today and every other day of the week before I'd consider giving Jared Sullinger a contract.

When he's given consistent minutes in the right role (i.e. about 20 minutes a night as the backup center alongside guys who share the ball and can shoot), he's pretty darn good, and quite consistent as well.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Re: Tyler Zeller: He's Pretty Good!
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2016, 04:46:30 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
I'm a Zeller fellar
Yup

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2016, 04:48:04 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
He's averaging 13.8 points and 6.5 rebounds in 20.8 minutes over the last 5 games on 68.6% shooting.  Thow in 1.5 assists and 1.3 blocks for good measure.

I'd resign Tyler Zeller today and every other day of the week before I'd consider giving Jared Sullinger a contract.

When he's given consistent minutes in the right role (i.e. about 20 minutes a night as the backup center alongside guys who share the ball and can shoot), he's pretty darn good, and quite consistent as well.
I agree. A terrific role player, could be a part of a really terrific bench. Jerebko is the same. Give him a consistent (small) role and he will flourish.

The big thing is, you have to make sure you pay him according to that role. Dont pay him starter money or even 6th/7th guy money.

Id love to see Turner, Zeller, Jerebko all back but you just cannot cannot overpay these guys.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2016, 04:49:28 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Me too.

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2016, 04:52:16 PM »

Offline TA9

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 118
  • I Bleed Green
He has definitely been a key player during this 10 game run by the C's. Will be interesting to see if he can keep up filling the statsheet though.
Jack of all trades, master of none.

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2016, 04:56:04 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
Tp
Agree AND zeller has height!

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2016, 04:56:46 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
They're both going to be pretty to cheap to sign this offseason.

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2016, 05:00:20 PM »

Offline sahara

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 84
Keep the white boys!

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2016, 05:00:44 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
Pho ~~ as you know, I'm in total agreement.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2016, 05:10:26 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
I like his play but I'd guess this is us showcasing him for a trade. Luckily he is performing very well.

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2016, 05:24:20 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Now that CBS "finally " has Lee where he belongs

Zeller can get enough time to build a rhythm and THUS confidence.

He is smiling and enjoying himself.

Zeller is just flat out better than Lee at this point ......Lee has no business on the court.

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2016, 05:28:21 PM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
I can't understand why Zeller lost his minutes. My gut tells me he had some sort of understanding with Stevens.

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2016, 05:29:06 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I can't understand why Zeller lost his minutes. My gut tells me he had some sort of understanding with Stevens.

Bad defense.

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2016, 05:32:29 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385

But, I'd ask whether resigning Zeller is putting the cart before the horse. Sure, he is good in the role you described. But if we are going to still need to find a starting C and PF and end up playing some small ball lineups anyway, is Zeller really worth what it's going to take to keep him? 

I know the salary cap is going to spike, but can we really afford to pay 10-12 million a year for a guy whose future role may be to play less than 15 mpg (a legit center should be at least 32-35 mpg, leaving potentially less than 15 mpg if we are going to play some small ball). Again, I like Zeller, but that seems like a huge overpay when we could probably get some aging vet at a reduced rate to do an adequate job at less than half the price.

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2016, 05:37:24 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
I like Zeller two, but I have two questions?

Who will be cheaper?

Does it matter that Jared is our best post defender?