Author Topic: We are now in the third seed so what does that mean for the trade deadline?  (Read 3495 times)

Re: We are now in the third seed so what does that mean for the trade deadline?
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2016, 11:16:26 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=h969joh

now this was Funny.

We'd probably have to give up a 2nd rounder to make that happen, but we'd gain a valuable trade player exception which can be used on draft night (we'd probably lose it in the Summer since we'll probably renounce just about everything depending on opportunities).

How could it be used on draft night?
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2016, 11:23:35 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=h969joh

now this was Funny.

We'd probably have to give up a 2nd rounder to make that happen, but we'd gain a valuable trade player exception which can be used on draft night (we'd probably lose it in the Summer since we'll probably renounce just about everything depending on opportunities).

How could it be used on draft night?

It wouldn't really be useful in a trade since we will be under the cap and I think we would have to renounce the TPE if we sign any reasonable free agents (creates a cap hold).

« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2016, 05:29:59 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
More interesting is how Atlanta perform in the lead up to the deadline. If they fall down to 5th or 6th seed then do they think more seriously about moving Horford for youth?

« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2016, 05:43:22 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
It could mean that other GMs will see the Celtics as close to title contenders and raise their prices, hoping that the Celtics will overpay in the hopes of winning now.  It could mean that Ainge will feel that the team is close enough to contention that he doesn't have to make a trade and can rely on free agency and draft picks to make incremental improvement that makes the team a serious title threat next season.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2016, 07:21:37 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
It could mean that other GMs will see the Celtics as close to title contenders and raise their prices, hoping that the Celtics will overpay in the hopes of winning now.  It could mean that Ainge will feel that the team is close enough to contention that he doesn't have to make a trade and can rely on free agency and draft picks to make incremental improvement that makes the team a serious title threat next season

Nice one, close to contenders.  Thanks for making my money funny.  Ainge has been working the phones, that sound like a guy who is content?

« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2016, 10:59:35 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I think it changes little.   If Ainge can find a move that helps this team this year that has minimal impact of the teams flexibility next year, I can see him doing it.

I don't see him making a big move to add a good player (non-star level) who has long term good to big money attached to his contract.

« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2016, 11:03:42 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Being a three seed means you are 100% a buyer. No way dealing players for picks or prospects at deadline.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 01:08:22 PM by Csfan1984 »

« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2016, 01:04:38 PM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219
It could mean that other GMs will see the Celtics as close to title contenders and raise their prices, hoping that the Celtics will overpay in the hopes of winning now.  It could mean that Ainge will feel that the team is close enough to contention that he doesn't have to make a trade and can rely on free agency and draft picks to make incremental improvement that makes the team a serious title threat next season

Nice one, close to contenders.  Thanks for making my money funny.  Ainge has been working the phones, that sound like a guy who is content?

Close enough to contention. Close enough to think that true contender status is two key additions away, e.g., a wing volume scorer and a defensive anchor.

Ainge would be working the phones even if we'd just won three straight titles. That's just Ainge being a dutiful GM. If he's more active than usual it's probably because he has an unusual wealth of picks and prospects, not because he's especially discontent with this team.
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2016, 01:40:25 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Being a three seed means you are 100% a buyer. No way dealing players for picks or prospects at deadline.

With Ainge, being the #3 seed means absolutely nothing. I think he would be the first to tell you that. He also stated on the radio about a week ago that this team is not at all a contender.

« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2016, 01:52:09 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson

With Ainge, being the #3 seed means absolutely nothing. I think he would be the first to tell you that. He also stated on the radio about a week ago that this team is not at all a contender.
So you think he will be a seller?

« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2016, 01:59:58 PM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261

By most measures we're the 7th-8th best team in the league right now, so I'd argue too, we're close to being a contender.  Of course Ainge is working the phones, because we're close, but not there yet.

« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2016, 02:02:37 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700

He is not a buyer or a seller, he is an opportunist. He will go for whatever brings the best value for any of his assets, otherwise he will keep his assets and see where the Nets pick lands. The team record at any point of the season doesn't phase him either way.

« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2016, 02:12:59 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

He is not a buyer or a seller, he is an opportunist. He will go for whatever brings the best value for any of his assets, otherwise he will keep his assets and see where the Nets pick lands. The team record at any point of the season doesn't phase him either way.

He's not going to be a seller, however.  There's no point, other than under-cutting the work that his coaching staff has put in.  He will be a buyer or more likely a holder.

« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2016, 02:13:42 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson

I dont think he will sell regardless of opportunity to do so. GMs that don't take into account the team in it's standings as well as PR isn't doing the job right. DA and the Celtics know all about PR. It's a business. He won't be a seller.

« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2016, 02:21:22 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 533
It means if they could add a proven shooter who can give them a real #2 option to IT at crunch time (moving Bradley to #3) they can make things real interesting vs anyone in the East.