Author Topic: We are now in the third seed so what does that mean for the trade deadline?  (Read 3497 times)

Offline Hawkeye199

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 131
 We are the third seed so how does this affect our moves during the trade deadline. I was thinking of trying for aaron gordon. I would flip him and amir johnson. So aaron gordon takes his role and his minuates. He is a rly young competitive guy. he is as good defensively as noel. However he has developed a 3 point shot. His personality would fit well with crowder and smart. He would not help our offense to much as he is still developing it but he would contribute more then amir johnson. Plus he is cheaper and a better defender. If he can really continue to develop his 3 point shot he could become a serge aback type. This trade would not sacrifice the future of the team but help them be a little more competitive this year.

I would send amir johnson to orlando with james young and a non brooklyn pick  Danny can figure out how to make the salaries work.

Thoughts?
zach lavine-jeremy lin-tyus jones
jeremy lamb-tyshen prince-Andre miller
will barton- beljina-
Kevin love-kevin garnet-payne
Karl anthoney Towns-JJ hickson

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
I think Ainge is much more careful with trades.  Unless it's a blockbuster he looks at moving Lee.  I could see him doing a vet upgrade off bench for playoff push.  I think Amir adds lots of intangibles and gives us true center size. 
Would love to add sf off the bench , someone like PP, guy who can give minutes, score and do a bit of everything.  Not that Paul is coming back but Dudley, dunleavy...someone who is true sf and give quality minutes

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Id love Paul Pierce to come back and just hit big shots.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

Offline sahara

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 84
We are a big market team and we are very good. Wait for the offseason if nothing good comes up.

Online Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
I'm pretty sure Orlando is not giving up on Gordon just yet.  They have a lot of very young but high upside guys and it's not clear yet who will stick there.

Beyond that, I have to believe that upcoming moves will focus on more offense or at least somebody who can come in and hit big shots.

Three seed now but the spread down to 6/7 seed is small.

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Say good bye to Lee

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Being third seed does not affect our trade deadline at all, and neither is beating the Cavs with one game.

Ainge knows what he got in his hands, no winning streak, no matter how awesome it looks, is going to change that.

What it will do is potentially increase the trade value of some of our assets (while decreasing others, like Lee/our pick), but it doesn't alter the mindset in the least of what to do in the trade deadline.

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 378
You look at NY/Milw/Brooklyn in the East...Denver/N.O./Phoenix in the West---you'll see these teams have ZERO shot at the playoffs--and should be sellers....Minny is too young--they'll keep what they have.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

Offline flybono

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
You have 2 chips, the Brooklyn #1 and Olynyk.

Combined, could get you a legit big or legit shooting guard which this team needs big time..

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Gordon is nowhere near as good defensively as either Noel or Amir.  In fact he is statistically one of the worst defensive PF's in the NBA.

Defensive RPM:
Nerlens Noel: +3.33 (4th among PF)
Amir Johnson: +2.87 (7th among PF)
Aaron Gordon:  -0.28 (77th among PF)

Even despite his age and perceived upside, I still don't think I'd trade Amir for Gordon.  Never liked Gordon's game and I still don't.  He's basically a poor man's Amir Johnson in that he puts up similar Per 36 stats, but has nowhere near Amir's defensive ability of offensive BBIQ.   

I wouldn't declare war on the Celtics if they made a move for Gordon, but I wouldn't be thrilled about it.  Gordon looks like he has the potential to be a borderline starter at best, and we have heaps of guys who have that type of potential.

Re: We are now in the third seed so what does that mean for the trade deadline?
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2016, 06:48:16 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 378
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2016, 06:58:40 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=h969joh

now this was Funny.

We'd probably have to give up a 2nd rounder to make that happen, but we'd gain a valuable trade player exception which can be used on draft night (we'd probably lose it in the Summer since we'll probably renounce just about everything depending on opportunities).

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2016, 10:27:55 PM »

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 56
http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=hfoqd2k Add Dallas 2016 and this is probably the way to get this trade done. Frye is 33 and has two more years left after this so we may be doing them a favor even though he can still shoot the 3. Young has little value right now and perhaps forever. I'm not a Gordon fan and hope that we can pick up a pure scorer like Gallo without giving up our Brooklyn picks or our core players, which may prove difficult.

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2016, 10:49:15 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
I think the biggest thing is that it is easier to stand pat.

It makes it harder to justify moving established guys for young guys or picks.

Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2016, 11:05:49 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Gordon is nowhere near as good defensively as either Noel or Amir.  In fact he is statistically one of the worst defensive PF's in the NBA.

Defensive RPM:
Nerlens Noel: +3.33 (4th among PF)
Amir Johnson: +2.87 (7th among PF)
Aaron Gordon:  -0.28 (77th among PF)

Even despite his age and perceived upside, I still don't think I'd trade Amir for Gordon.  Never liked Gordon's game and I still don't.  He's basically a poor man's Amir Johnson in that he puts up similar Per 36 stats, but has nowhere near Amir's defensive ability of offensive BBIQ.   

I wouldn't declare war on the Celtics if they made a move for Gordon, but I wouldn't be thrilled about it.  Gordon looks like he has the potential to be a borderline starter at best, and we have heaps of guys who have that type of potential.

I often respect your opinion on a number of subjects, but have to respectfully disagree with you on Gordon. The few times I have seen him play he has been very effective on both ends of the floor. The stats you provided obviously don't lie, but Gordon is still very young and has tremendous upside. I would be willing to bet that he is pretty much the top guy Orlando would want to keep (similar to Smart for Boston). If both Smart and Gordon were available on draft day, I believe Ainge would have taken Gordon.