Poll

How much are you willing to pay Sully?

Less than 7.5 mil
7.5-10 mil
10-12.5 mil
12.5-15 mil
More than 15 mil

Author Topic: How much are you willing to pay Sully?  (Read 5642 times)

Re: How much are you willing to pay Sully?
« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2016, 09:13:31 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
I expect DA will let the market dictate sully contract and match and not crazy offer. I will not be surprised if we also see a big baby for bass like trade. I personally think the team that should be most interested in Sully is NO. If they can figure out a way to first the Asik signing and move him restrain Anderson and sign or trade for sully I think Davis, Sully and Anderson are 3 very complimentary bigs.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2016, 09:33:10 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
If Sulinger goes to another team my projection is that he turns into someone like Dejuan Blaire.
Not efficient , rarely used. Maybe not right away but in a year or two .

Sounds about right.  Third stringer.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2016, 10:09:39 PM »

Offline tankcity!

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 129
He's shooting 42% from the field...I agree with Phosita, $5M per year.

« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2016, 10:12:47 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
$6-7 million per annum
Sounds right to me . He is not more valuable than Crowder.

This is true in hindsight, but we need to look at context.

Crowder was signed to that contract when he just finished a season averaging 8 points, 3 rebounds and an assist along with 28% 3PT - and this came after never averaging more than 5/3/1 prior to that.

Danny gave him a $7m a year contract, and right after that he elevated his numbers to 14/5/2 with 35% 3Pt and elite caliber defense.  No team would have really seen that coming, and if they did we probably never would have snatched him on anything near $7M. 

The difference with Sully is that he's talent level and potential are well established.  He was pretty highly hyped coming out of college until the red flags came up about his back, and at the age of 23 he already has career Per 36 numbers of 16 / 11. 

Yes, we all know he has red flags (conditioning, attitude, etc) but nobody can deny that he has talent, and you have to think there will be some GM out there who is going to get desperate and take a gamble, hoping they can pick up the next Zach Randolph.

« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2016, 10:13:38 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
If Sulinger goes to another team my projection is that he turns into someone like Dejuan Blaire.
Not efficient , rarely used. Maybe not right away but in a year or two .

Sounds about right.  Third stringer.

In other words, his career projected path sounds very similar to that of big baby - not at all surprising really. 

Both are/were very talented players with conditioning/attitude issues that the have not yet seemed to be able to overcome. 

« Reply #35 on: February 07, 2016, 10:21:52 PM »

Offline tankcity!

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 129
$6-7 million per annum

Crowder was signed to that contract when he just finished a season averaging 8 points, 3 rebounds and an assist along with 28% 3PT - and this came after never averaging more than 5/3/1 prior to that.

Danny gave him a $7m a year contract, and right after that he elevated his numbers to 14/5/2 with 35% 3Pt and elite caliber defense.  No team would have really seen that coming, and if they did we probably never would have snatched him on anything near $7M. 

The difference with Sully is that he's talent level and potential are well established.  He was pretty highly hyped coming out of college until the red flags came up about his back, and at the age of 23 he already has career Per 36 numbers of 16 / 11. 

Yes, we all know he has red flags (conditioning, attitude, etc) but nobody can deny that he has talent, and you have to think there will be some GM out there who is going to get desperate and take a gamble, hoping they can pick up the next Zach Randolph.

You basically countered yourself in the same post. Sully is fat. That is the difference between him and crowder. Besides, what does Sully exactly bring? I'm not in love with his defense. He's not an effective score. He isn't consistent. He is only a great rebounder. Maybe he can grew into more, but I haven't seen much improvement year over year. You have to remember how much of a leap Crowder made pver each year. Unlike Sully, who is the same player he was last year.

« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2016, 10:22:40 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
I worry about his back. I'm not sure the surgery permanently fixed things.  The original doctor report mentioned a shortened career.

I'd sign him for no more than 3 years - $8 million per

http://espn.go.com/nba/draft2012/story/_/id/8069495/2012-nba-draft-docs-medically-red-flag-jared-sullinger-sources-say
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #37 on: February 07, 2016, 10:36:43 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
I worry about his back. I'm not sure the surgery permanently fixed things.  The original doctor report mentioned a shortened career.

http://espn.go.com/nba/draft2012/story/_/id/8069495/2012-nba-draft-docs-medically-red-flag-jared-sullinger-sources-say

It would help his back if he'd weight about 260  instead of 300 plus.

« Reply #38 on: February 07, 2016, 10:56:29 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
$6-7 million per annum

You basically countered yourself in the same post. Sully is fat. That is the difference between him and crowder. Besides, what does Sully exactly bring? I'm not in love with his defense. He's not an effective score. He isn't consistent. He is only a great rebounder. Maybe he can grew into more, but I haven't seen much improvement year over year. You have to remember how much of a leap Crowder made pver each year. Unlike Sully, who is the same player he was last year.
Sullinger is a very good passer as well. He also usually shoots well from the midrange. This year has been odd. Ultimately he is our only big who can battle with physical bigs. Look at some of his best games, they come against Chicago (Gasol and Noah) Sacremento (Cousins) NO (Davis) and hes always been a big game player.

So he is a really good rebounder, a very very good passer, a decent shooter (usually) and he is a competent defender post player.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #39 on: February 07, 2016, 11:13:46 PM »

Offline positivitize

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 614
  • Puns of steel
nothing.

Bye bye Sully.
My biases, in order of fervor:
Pro:
Smart, Brown, Hayward, Tatum, Kemba, Grant Williams, Sleepy Williams, Edwards!

Anti:
Kanter, Semi, Theis, Poierier

« Reply #40 on: February 07, 2016, 11:17:48 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

It would help his back if he'd weight about 260  instead of 300 plus.

I agree with the salary and the weight of these two posts. I realize with the new tv deal that salaries are going to look bloated for some time, but I want to see who the gm is that is going to sign Sully to a $12M+/yr contract - I just don't see it happening. He may have a reputation for being skilled and effective at rebounding, but he also has super-reputation for being fat and not [really] doing anything about it.

If we sign a couple max-ish guys and can then go over the salary cap to sign him, then that would be ideal.

« Reply #41 on: February 07, 2016, 11:22:27 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289

« Reply #42 on: February 08, 2016, 09:44:22 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
The thing about Sully is---When things get tough---He's the one who rolls up his sleeves--and gets to work....Him and Marcus....I expect him to get a 3 year deal worth $35-38 Mil.

The only time Sully rolls up his sleeves is when he's staring at a giant triple cheeseburger on his place.

He is HANDS DOWN the worst clutch player on this team.  He can't make shots to save his life and consistently showcases some of the worst decision making I've ever seen in clutch situations.  Having Sully on the court at the end of games - you may as well just forfeit and hand the opponents the W.

Putting him in the same sentence as Marcus Smart is highly insulting to Smart...who has come through with huge plays in the clutch all season long.

« Reply #43 on: February 08, 2016, 09:52:36 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
If he stays til the summer I'd be happy with $10m/year on a 3 year deal, team option or partial guarantee on the final year.

He gets more than Crowder, Thomas etc essentially because of the big man premium that always seems to get paid. As long as it's a team friendly deal I'm fine with it. I also think that if he reaches RFA then he'll take a backseat until Danny is done chasing the big fish.

The wrinkle is whether he'll be here or not. If there is a deal to be done before the deadline then I think Sully is involved. Things like Sully, Lee and picks for Horford or Sully and picks for another rookie scale guy

« Reply #44 on: February 08, 2016, 09:56:31 AM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
Team friendly or goodbye.

He's a decent backup center. I agree with the 6-7 million per year, 2-3 years.

This being a contract year, and still he can't condition himself. Over pay for Sully and you'll be sorry. Unless you enjoy being a middle of the pack team.