Poll

How much are you willing to pay Sully?

Less than 7.5 mil
7.5-10 mil
10-12.5 mil
12.5-15 mil
More than 15 mil

Author Topic: How much are you willing to pay Sully?  (Read 5643 times)

Re: How much are you willing to pay Sully?
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2016, 05:26:11 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Sully is high maintaince

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2016, 06:07:46 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
$6-7 million per annum

not happening

« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2016, 06:20:14 PM »

Offline jbpats

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 406
Sully will be overpaid by some mediocre team. He's worth 8-10 he'll get 14, hopefully just not from us.

« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2016, 06:30:35 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 378
The thing about Sully is---When things get tough---He's the one who rolls up his sleeves--and gets to work....Him and Marcus....I expect him to get a 3 year deal worth $35-38 Mil.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2016, 06:33:08 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Sully is not scard to ball in the paint .

We NEED him and Smart .

IF KO is not scoring points .   He is worthless IMO.

« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2016, 06:34:48 PM »

Online Celtic Fan Forever

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2437
At most 10 mil a year
2023 CelticsStrong Historical Draft Champions - OKC Thunder
PG: Chauncey Billups/ Baron Davis
SG: Michael Redd/ Dan Majerle/ Allan Houston
SF: Peja Stojakovic/ Gerald Wallace/ Toni Kukoc
PF: Shawn Kemp/ Antonio McDyess
C: Dwight Howard/ Tyson Chandler

« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2016, 06:39:40 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
Sully is not scard to ball in the paint .

We NEED him and Smart .

IF KO is not scoring points .   He is worthless IMO.

Yup.

« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2016, 06:47:43 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
I was a bit stuck choosing between the first two ranges.

I feel Sully's talent is worth of a $7.5M - $10M but I don't see him as a future starter here, and that's too much to pay for a long term backup. 

So in the end I dropped back to $7.5M, but that is specific to the Celtics and our current situation.  If he went to a team that had a need for his skills and where he was worthy of a long term starting role, then I'd give him $10M - $12M probably. 

For us, he's just not worth an 8 figure salary IMHO given all of his weaknesses. 

« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2016, 06:48:32 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
As I've said before, what to pay Sully is the least of my worries. It comes secondary to timing of when to sign him and interest Ainge might have on him. The amount of money really comes after that.

Money is the least of my concerns in the context of next Summer.

He's definitely not a priority. The priority is looking into available stars and potential stars that are out there.

So how much I'm willing to pay? It is really dependent on how the rest of the Summer goes and trade opportunities.

Here's a previous post of mine:

There are two key questions here that are more important than price: Ainge's interest in Sullinger and timing.

I mention this because price is irrelevant when once considers the potential to go after 2 max free-agents.

I haven't run the calculations lately, but things will be tight to make that happen regardless (I don't think we'll be going after the $30+ million types, so if we remove that from the equation then things become more practical/likely). So keeping this in mind the key part is how much does the cap hold from Sullinger affect the possibility of going after these types of players.

And that's why timing is important, in the assumption of actual interest from Ainge, getting a verbal agreement from Sullinger instead of letting him go to the market and sign an offer sheet is very important to keep our cap space flexibility. If this can't be managed, I think it's very unlikely that Sullinger is retained (unless Ainge already judged the free-agent opportunities to be non-existent, but I doubt that's going to be the case). if Ainge can't secure a verbal agreement early, then I'm fairly certain Sullinger will be all but gone unless his market value is poor, so that's the unknown in this.

I'm not saying that we should overpay Sullinger, and I have no interest in that, but in the scheme of things, that's the least of our worries in the context of how it'll affect this particular free-agency period. After that is analyzing how it'll affect future free-agency situations.

We have a lot of youth coming in, we have a big man prospect that seems to project favorably, so losing Sullinger is not the end of the world.

But worth pointing out that there's room to retain him if management still has interest in him without it actually affecting our buying power much this off season. That's why interest and timing are the key factors here, and price comes in right after that.

If Ainge has no interest in him, then just move him at the trade deadline and move on. There's still quite of basketball to be played, let's see how it goes from here through February.

« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2016, 06:56:23 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
Has Ainge ever had to match an offer sheet--?....He signed Bradley and Crowder before they got offers from other teams---am I correct on this--?

« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2016, 07:39:50 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
My opinion on this would be the same as respected Celticsblogger LooseCannon.

I want to wait until summer and see what the market is for Sullinger.  I value being flexible and don't want to get locked into a single strategy at this point.  Sure, I would trade him now if someone gave a ridiculous offer, but I am okay with having the option to either match or let him walk depending on how much other teams want to give him and what other moves the Celtics can make.

I will admit to being very wary that Sullinger is the sort of player who might put on more weight if he gets a big, long-term contract.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2016, 08:12:00 PM »

Offline ThaPreacher

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 174
  • THA PREACHER
Sully is high maintaince

Trade fodder. Can't imagine the Celtics overpaying for a role player.
Better to deal him and find the athletic stretch for the pace and space offense.

Why do I have this feeling that if the Celtics extend him, we'll find him in the North Section of Boston with Mark Blount eating wings on a bloated contract! :o
"Just do what you do best."  -Red Auerbach-

« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2016, 08:29:47 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
5 million annually,  two guaranteed years
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2016, 08:33:12 PM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
$6-7 million per annum
Sounds right to me . He is not more valuable than Crowder.

« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2016, 08:39:53 PM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
If Sulinger goes to another team my projection is that he turns into someone like Dejuan Blaire.
Not efficient , rarely used. Maybe not right away but in a year or two .