Author Topic: Sully is ballin'  (Read 1253 times)

Sully is ballin'
« on: February 07, 2016, 03:26:43 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
I know a lot of us here would give him up for Horford , Monroe and similar players , but he has really been playing good lately . He brings a bit of a mean streak that our other bigs don't have .

If he could only get his 3pt shooting to around 35% ....  or better yet stay inside and do work  .

At least he is raising his value while helping us move up in the standings.

Re: Sully is ballin'
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2016, 02:16:59 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
He's been playing great lately.  I love that for the most part he seems to have forsaken the three ball in favor of the long two.

I know the long two is the "worst shot in basketball," but for me there's something to be said for bigs who pick and pop to about eighteen feet as opposed to going out behind  the three point line.  Sully seems so much more comfortable from that range.

I just don't like him seeing himself as a three point shooter.  He'll help himself by staying within his range.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2016, 04:29:31 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Let's hope he can keep the trade value trending up till deadline

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2016, 06:19:09 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
He's been playing great lately.  I love that for the most part he seems to have forsaken the three ball in favor of the long two.

Let us hope he sticks to it, he lacks aptitude for the three and it takes him away from the boards.

But as I said when KO was tearing it up, I doubt this lasts, and I suspect he will vanish and stink again.   Our bigs are not consistent on offense at all.

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2016, 08:06:04 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
CBS instructed to play sully and Zeller more min is my guess.

Trade deadline fast approaching

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2016, 08:19:33 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
CBS instructed to play sully and Zeller more min is my guess.

Trade deadline fast approaching

Other than his minutes have decreased...

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2016, 08:35:03 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
If he could only get in shape he could be something special. Since it hasn't happened yet, I don't see him ever turning that corner. It's a shame.

It was apparent in the game yesterday afternoon. He had a fantastic first half and just wore himself out. Came in to the second half and was just miserably short on every shot cause his legs were gone and he didn't have much left.

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2016, 08:46:27 AM »

Offline TwinTower14

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
If he could only get in shape he could be something special. Since it hasn't happened yet, I don't see him ever turning that corner. It's a shame.

It was apparent in the game yesterday afternoon. He had a fantastic first half and just wore himself out. Came in to the second half and was just miserably short on every shot cause his legs were gone and he didn't have much left.

He is huge right now. I think this is the heaviest I have seen him.

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2016, 08:50:08 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 858
Sullinger still has a lot to show.  This has been a good season in that he hasn't suffered any serious injury but he still has not shown that he can get his body to the point he needs to in order to play a full season at a consistent level.

He started the season very well and had played pretty well for the last few games but in between, there was a pretty long lull where he didn't play well.  I like Sullinger, I see a lot of unique big man talent but his window to figure it out, while still open, is starting to close some.

I am OK if we trade him assuming it is a good deal of course.  I am OK if we sign him to a good deal.   I would hate to lose him for nothing (always a risk) but the worst thing in my mind would be to overpay to resign him.

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2016, 09:16:46 AM »

Offline GryphMinuteMan

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 7
He's been playing great and I don't know how he does it sometimes. I'm still shocked that he seems to be gaining weight DURING the season. How is that even possible? He must go to town on buffets or something.

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2016, 09:17:26 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
How in god's name is Sully "Ballin" lately?  His overall game has been borderline terrible.

Sully has scored more than 8 points only 7 times in the last 13 games and is averaging 10 points, 7 rebounds, 2 assists, 1.5 turnovers and 3 fouls in 20 minutes over those 13 games. 

Over that stretch he's shooting 42.8% from the field, 14.2% from three has taken only 25 free throws (an average of not even 2 attempts per game) at 72%.

While his Per 36 rebound, scoring and assist numbers numbers have been very nice (18, 12.6 and 3.6) on average, he has been horribly inconsistent from one game to the next, his shot has been all over the place, and his decision making in the clutch has been consistently terrible.

Sully has basically had two standout games in the past 13 and outside of those games has bene 'solid' at best.

Regardless of his outright scoring and rebounding numbers, what is the use of a Power Forward who can't finish around the basket efficiently, can't hit an open three to save his life, and can't get to the line two times a night?

No, you don't need to be a great scorer to be a valuable asset in the NBA - Amir Johnson is living proof of that.  But if you are shooting as god-awful as Sully has been for the past three seasons then you need to recognise that and make an adjustment - either work on your game and improve those numbers, or just straight up stop shooting the [dang] ball.

For the season Sully is shooting:
* 57% inside three feet
* 39% from 3-10 feet
* 32% from, 10-16 feet
* 39% on two's outside 16 feet
* 26% on threes
* 53% on free throws
* Scoring efficiency of 1.02 points per FGA

Those ear by far the worst overall shooting numbers of Sully's entire career, and as long as he's shooting like that and taking 15 FGA Per 36 Minutes, he's starting to become a massive liability on offence.

Worst thing is that this isn't even a one off unlucky year - he's been close to this level of terrible for three years running now. 

We just need to accept it, this is who Sully is - he's a historically bad offensive player.  His offensive role on the team should be reduced to pretty much zero.  His horrible decision making means he should NEVER be allowed the court in the last 5 minutes unless it's garbage time. 

Ultimately Sully should be demoted to a Reggie Evans / Omer Asik role, where the only things he is allowed to do on the court are rebounding and defend the post. No shooting, under ANY circumstances.  If that were to happen, then maybe he could actually be a positive asset for this club.

Until that happens he is killing us, and we can't even trade him because nobody is giving up quality assets for an out of condition big man with attitude problems who cannot score.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 09:24:12 AM by crimson_stallion »

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2016, 09:18:19 AM »

Offline TwinTower14

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
He's been playing great and I don't know how he does it sometimes. I'm still shocked that he seems to be gaining weight DURING the season. How is that even possible? He must go to town on buffets or something.

its insane. Whoever signs him is going to be disappointed. If he doesn't have the discipline now to get in shape he never will. It's a shame because he is very talented and skilled.

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2016, 09:19:07 AM »

Offline Ed Hollison

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 195

Exactly. The fact that he's consistently shown the propensity to gain weight over the course of the season should give you pause about his future. As he gets older, these issues are going to get worse, unless he has a massive behavioral change in his life, which seems unlikely.
"A thought of hatred must be destroyed by a more powerful thought of love."

http://fruittreeblog.com

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2016, 09:32:21 AM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664

Exactly. The fact that he's consistently shown the propensity to gain weight over the course of the season should give you pause about his future. As he gets older, these issues are going to get worse, unless he has a massive behavioral change in his life, which seems unlikely.

Yup and this is a contract year for him.  What happens when he gets a big long term contract?  That's partly why in other threads I have advocated for trading Sully and non Brooklyn picks for Greg Monroe.

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2016, 09:38:40 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875

Yup and this is a contract year for him.  What happens when he gets a big long term contract?  That's partly why in other threads I have advocated for trading Sully and non Brooklyn picks for Greg Monroe.

Please god, yes.

But sadly, I am pretty confident that the Bucks are that stupid. 

In fact I don't think even MJ is stupid enough to give up a player of Monroe's calibre for Sully and some mid-to-late first rounders.  That's saying something, because MJ is one hell of a stupid executive.   

Sadly I think we're going to have little choice but to let him walk in free agency.  I doubt we'll be able to find a trade for Sully that returns any more than a mediocre first round pick.