Author Topic: Woj: Celtics haven't had any serious trade talks yet, could be quiet deadline  (Read 7528 times)

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
The thing about Gallinari is that I don't believe his efficiency has gone up, it's his usage rate.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/g/gallida01.html

If you compare his shooting percentages this year vs his breakout season at age 21, they are actually slightly lower for fg%, 2p%, 3p%, and efg%

So it's not his skill level that has increased rather, he's been given an increased role in the offense and he hasn't hesitated to take the shot that his team needs.

I believe Gallinari is a good player, but he's not the "star" player that we've been searching for.  I also agree that Isaiah Thomas is more valuable because he provides scoring at a position, PG, that traditionally doesn't provide a lot of scoring except from a select few players, the Russell Westbrooks, the Chris Pauls, etc.

PS Hell no, I wouldn't trade I. Thomas.  Finding his combination of skills and scoring ability in a PG is just too rare.

One thing Gallo is doing more efficiently this year is getting to the line.  His free-throw rate is about double from last year.  As someone who shoots free throws in the high 80s, that's a big improvement.

But no way would I trade IT4 for Gallo.

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
The thing about Gallinari is that I don't believe his efficiency has gone up, it's his usage rate.

If you compare his shooting percentages this year vs his breakout season at age 21, they are actually slightly lower for fg%, 2p%, 3p%, and efg%

So it's not his skill level that has increased rather, he's been given an increased role in the offense and he hasn't hesitated to take the shot that his team needs.

I believe Gallinari is a good player, but he's not the "star" player that we've been searching for.  I also agree that Isaiah Thomas is more valuable because he provides scoring at a position, PG, that traditionally doesn't provide a lot of scoring except from a select few players, the Russell Westbrooks, the Chris Pauls, etc.

PS Hell no, I wouldn't trade I. Thomas.  Finding his combination of skills and scoring ability in a PG is just too rare.
the league has a number of PGs that can score and also run an offense.  even defend better.  not sure why you think IT is a rare PG.  If the right deal comes up, I have no qualms trading IT. 

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
I would welcome Gallo for a bunch of cheap assets, but I don't think it makes sense to give up IT/Smart/Bradley/Crowder/Amir/KO/Sully or even Zeller or dare I say Turner for him. The point would be to try to add to what we have without killing our chemistry or future flexibility.  Our bad package of Lee, Rozier and the Dallas pick and a second rounder as a bonus is still better than what most teams will offer.

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Top 10 trade rumors
http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-basketball/25474767/ten-players-who-could-be-on-the-move-at-the-nba-trade-deadline

Blake Griffin interests me the most but most likely won't happen until summer.

Al Horford also interests me.  If we could pay a price to get him in before his free agency and he agrees to a long term deal, could be worth it...  Would add a true center to anchor our lineup.

Offline furball

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 95
I would welcome Gallo for a bunch of cheap assets, but I don't think it makes sense to give up IT/Smart/Bradley/Crowder/Amir/KO/Sully or even Zeller or dare I say Turner for him. The point would be to try to add to what we have without killing our chemistry or future flexibility.  Our bad package of Lee, Rozier and the Dallas pick and a second rounder as a bonus is still better than what most teams will offer.

Um, I just have to ask, if you don't give up any of those guys, when exactly would Gallo play?  Not that I want Gallo, I am just curious. 

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391

the league has a number of PGs that can score and also run an offense.  even defend better.  not sure why you think IT is a rare PG.  If the right deal comes up, I have no qualms trading IT.

Well, IT is an all star, which technically makes him one of the top players right now. I wouldn't trade IT for a George Hill or Jeremy Lin, for example. However, I also agree that there are a bunch of guards who can score and run an offense, while also defending better. As a matter of fact, more and more, the league is turning into a scoring guard's game.

- LilRip

Offline LHR

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 33
  • Executive Producer & Host: Celtics Beat Podcast
Danny could've had Al Horford two years ago ago so just doesn't make sense to explore that avenue now...unless of course he can be had for a Christmas Tree Shop price.
Author: Fall of the Boston Celtics
Available Here: http://www.clnsradio/LHRbook

EP & Host: Celtics Beat Podcast
Available here: http://apple.co/1E29sq0

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Danny could've had Al Horford two years ago ago so just doesn't make sense to explore that avenue now...unless of course he can be had for a Christmas Tree Shop price.
Could he?

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
No trades!

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2951
At this point , with Celtics making decent progress , CBS happy,  chemistry good between players , Zeller play n again , and Lee determined not be be kept I don't for see any changes ...thank goodness.

Making a radical change like trading IT , AB, or even Sully doesn't seem like the type of move that is coming soon from this FO .

Unless there is some sort of awesome trade DA can finally pull off that MOVES the needle significantly ,  I just got to think lateral movements for players of the smae basic level of skill is just not happening.

Danny players are young . He should be in no hurry to trade .

Summer could bring change ,  I expect waiting to see where the Nets picks lands will. Be significant .

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
Top 10 trade rumors
http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-basketball/25474767/ten-players-who-could-be-on-the-move-at-the-nba-trade-deadline

Al Horford also interests me.  If we could pay a price to get him in before his free agency and he agrees to a long term deal, could be worth it...  Would add a true center to anchor our lineup.

These are not trade rumors. These are pure speculation click-bait. Like, hey, Horford's contract is expiring, so the Hawks will at least think about trading him... won't they?

The headline should be:

"Top 10 players whom it's not totally illogical to think their teams might explore trading"
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Top 10 trade rumors

These are not trade rumors. These are pure speculation click-bait. Like, hey, Horford's contract is expiring, so the Hawks will at least think about trading him... won't they?

The headline should be:

"Top 10 players whom it's not totally illogical to think their teams might explore trading"

Woj did say on his podcast that there is a chance that Horford will be available close to the deadline.  It sounds like Atlanta is listening to offers and gauging his value, while weighing that against the probability they can re-sign him and how much that will cost.  He may be available, but it won't be at a discount, and it may depend on if they can get enough for Teague and maybe other players to justify blowing up the team a bit.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

Offline TheTruth34

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 10
The Celtics want to trade for a star.  The stars that are going to be available are guys on expiring contracts who are all but guaranteed to leave, so that you overpay on a rental in hopes of convincing them to stay, and stars on bad teams who are too old to be the centerpiece of a long-term rebuild.  Those guys aren't available now, so a trade seems unlikely, although Ainge wil almostl certainly pull the trigger if he gets good value for someone on the Thomas-Crowder level of player like Gallinari.

Agree on the Celtics motives.  The two guys I'd like to see them go after (assuming the price is reasonable) are Tyreke Evans and Horford.  Evans can handle the ball and initiate the offense at the 2, allowing Avery to focus on harassing opposing PGs.  Horford would be a considerable upgrade at the 5 and fits well into CBS's space and pace offense.  Simply add Durant 😀 and that's a heck of a rotation with Crowder, IT as your 6th and 7th guys.

Offline 10610786d

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 27
At this point , with Celtics making decent progress , CBS happy,  chemistry good between players , Zeller play n again , and Lee determined not be be kept I don't for see any changes ...thank goodness.

Adding a guy like Howard could potentially ruin Stevens. I quite like the idea of playing it safe right now.