Author Topic: Woj: Celtics haven't had any serious trade talks yet, could be quiet deadline  (Read 7559 times)

Offline CroCorvus

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 41
there is many teams who are under performing, so I don't buy this quiet deadline thing at all.

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
there is many teams who are under performing, so I don't buy this quiet deadline thing at all.

You need to look for a team that is under-performing and has no interest in being a player in free agency, so you have to rule out teams with unrealistic hopes that they can land some talent.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 269
After last years deadline, I honestly expect the unexpected.

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
I'm predicting a 4 team trade headlined by Matthew Dellavedova.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
They shouldn't make a deal for the sake of just making a deal. It's got to be the right deal. If there aren't any willing partners, then stay pat. Worst case, they buy out Lee and get some cap relief and still have all their draft picks.

That being said, I expect them to make a move to get another scorer on the team.

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
DA is cheap an cautious trader

He waits for the right character to become available.

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
I don't know if Woj touched on this (can't listen yet) but one thing I've heard mentioned by him before is that because the draft class is considered to be a bit weak this year that might dampen trades.  I find that unconvincing.  Last year was one of the most active deadlines ever, and I can't think of a single trade that involved a 2015 first that conveyed.  Only two trades that I can think of even involved a 2015 1st that had some chance of conveying -- the MCW-Knight-Lakers pick swap (pick was top-5 protected) and the Javale McGee salary dump (pick from OKC was top-18 protected).  It's pretty standard fare these days to trade picks multiple years into the future.
I could see Ainge doing some "rollover" on the lesser value 1st rounders and maybe the 2nd rounders too.  There just too many picks now to use them all with this deep roster. A couple teams out there will be looking for picks and tis a chance to trade them up to something higher in future years.

Offline OhioGreen

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 55
It's Groundhog Day, Edge of Tomorrow Celtic style:

No major trades at trade deadline
Team plays inspired ball last part of season, makes playoffs
Team gets first round boot
Draft is bust, regardless of where we pick
Best free agents have no interest in Boston
trade fireworks fizzle again
C's hype whatever draft picks they made bigtime
Next season starts with high hopes of big trades at trade deadline
Rookies ride bench or rot in DLeague
No major trades at deadline

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261

That's some world class pessimism!

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
They shouldn't make a deal for the sake of just making a deal. It's got to be the right deal. If there aren't any willing partners, then stay pat. Worst case, they buy out Lee and get some cap relief and still have all their draft picks.

That being said, I expect them to make a move to get another scorer on the team.

But...doesn't he expire after this year anyway???  ???

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
I'm happy with no moves till summer

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533

He does. But he doesn't want to be hwre. It's would probably be best for all parties if they can't trade him. He's taking up a spot on the roster. He can go to a different team that could give him more playing time.

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238

He does. But he doesn't want to be hwre. It's would probably be best for all parties if they can't trade him. He's taking up a spot on the roster. He can go to a different team that could give him more playing time.

As long as he doesn't go to the Nets!!!

If they can't trade him, I'd rather have him stuck to the bench and risk the bad will they risk with players and agents  than give the Nets ANY help at all. He might not be a great player, but he immediately becomes the 3rd best healthy player on that team.

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
It sounds like last year's deal that brought in IT kind of came at the last second. I'm not ruling anything out, especially because Ainge always seems active. If something shakes loose, he'll be there to catch it.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

Offline OhioGreen

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 55

That's some world class pessimism!

Hey, it's just the reality of what has transpired here.  Like Mahonedog88 mentioned, we've heard the "fireworks" talk for two plus years now, and.........zip!  When was our last "huge" trade?  Our last "huge" FA signing?  Our last "huge" draft pick?  We keep hearing " Wait til this, wait til that, but nothing ever happens! 
Danny has scared off all the GM's in the league for fear of being abused in deals.  We've not really ever had a boatload of cash to sign FA's with, and now that we will, EVERBODY will cause of the new salary cap coming.  And where once all draft picks were really valuable, now teams only want the top two or three in trades, and of course we now have umpteen picks that nobody really wants.  Heck we couldn't even move up a few spots in the draft last year for four first round draft picks!  We're just stuck in this bad loop with no way out.  Call it what you want--pessimism is one, but it is what it is!