Author Topic: Woj: Celtics haven't had any serious trade talks yet, could be quiet deadline  (Read 7568 times)

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
On air this morning.

http://clnsradio.com/boston-celtics-news/item/13204-adrian-wojnarowski-boston-celtics-yet-to-engage-in-serious-nba-trade-conversations

-says Love isn't available
-Griffin might be available this summer (just speculation).
-says team may prepare fans for not much action over trade deadline.
- no stars really available to cash in assets right now

Haven't got time to elaborate perhaps others can.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

Offline LHR

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 33
  • Executive Producer & Host: Celtics Beat Podcast
Well I don't want to elaborate too too much - would love if people listened ;)

But it was pretty clear this past week of 'buzz' esp earlier in the week were due to social media/story aggregation wildfires (Woj and I discussed that a bit in depth at beginning of interview.)  Not saying that talks didn't exist, but there just not serious enough yet.  Those talks take place "every day" and if he "were to report on everyone of those - there'd not be enough room on the Internet for them."

One thing to really watch out for is, esp with the media are phrases like "Have Discussed" - for example "Team X and Team Y 'Have Discussed' a Trade for Player Z" - that means nothing.  Those are the types of talks that Woj said happen every day.  There haven't been any serious offers made back and forth by both teams where they were actually engaged in serious trade conversations.  Obviously, all trade talks have to evolve from something, but...

I've noticed recently as well that the Celtics and some of their execs have really peddled the value of draft picks and the value they will have down the road.  Asked Woj if that very well could be the organization getting a head start on some PR as they gear fans up for not making that "transformative" (their phrase, not mine) move that a lot of fans feel inevitable.  Woj pretty much agreed.  That guy isn't there, but one possibility could be Blake Griffin for the Celts in the summer.  His name has been out there now, albeit in the 'have discussed' headlines - very, very, very unlikely he's moved now.  Summer - different story.

Even I asked about possibly making one of those "incremental" moves like IT last year - cited Greg Monroe - even he felt a talent comparable to Monroe would be a stretch for someone the Celtics could acquire within these next few weeks.  What to watch for is Morris - he very well could be the domino just as last year's trade deadline where Dragic was the domino that triggered a crazy finish to the deadline.

Can't remember what else we talked about, as bizarre as that is. Interview was like 35-40 mins - know we did some Durant->GSW(?) Lakers ("not attractive destination") and his website of course.  Which again, kind of all ties into how the media operates around this time.

Best wishes and infinite thanks to those who actually go ahead and listen!
LHR
Author: Fall of the Boston Celtics
Available Here: http://www.clnsradio/LHRbook

EP & Host: Celtics Beat Podcast
Available here: http://apple.co/1E29sq0

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Quiet before the storm.

(or not)

Offline Al91

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 18
Eh, no offense to Woj but I'm sure many of us are familiar with how frenetic the 24 hours before the deadline are as compared to the 1-2 weeks prior.
Long-form is far from dead, but please refrain from paragraph-laden posts! Who wants to read that?!

Offline mahonedog88

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 119
None of what Woj said really surprises me.  We've been hearing for about 2 and a half years now about a "fireworks" trade.  People have to understand that Wyc is the owner, but ultimately still a businessman.  It's his job to plant even just the remote possibility of a big trade in order to attract all of the casual viewers that know this isn't a true championship team yet.

I'm at the point now where until a trade actually happens, I will assume that one won't happen.  And if there isn't a good deal on the table, whether the player isn't good enough or if the other team is asking for too much, then don't do a deal just to do a deal.  Personally, I wouldn't hate it to see what this current team's ceiling is, both in terms of record and playoffs.

Now if we get to the draft, or the middle of the summer, and STILL no deals have been done, theeen I think it's really fair to get on Danny Ainge for not getting something done.

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I've always felt there was never going to be a major trade this year.  It could happen, but it would have to be a unique situation where a star basically demanding to be traded.

I say this because teams are going to want this year's Brooklyn pick.  But Danny isn't going to just give that pick up for just any star.  But until the exact value of the pick is know, post draft lottery, it's just hard to project what the true value is (there's usually a huge difference in value from even just the #1 pick to the #3 pick).  Danny probably wants #1 pick value for the pick, but other teams are probably looking at it from a worst case scenario.  There's probably too big of a gap for agreeable terms to be reached.

The other possibility is to trade some of our lesser valued 1st round picks, but right now none of them look particularly great.  Non-lottery picks usually only get you fringe all-stars, slightly past their prime stars, players demanding a trade, or players on expiring contracts.  I'm not sure how much a player that fits those criteria really helps the Celtics this year.  If one does, I suspect Ainge would make a move if the money is right.  Ainge isn't likely to trade for an overpaid player nor is he likely to trade for a good player on an expiring deal, though, that's not his MO.

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
A good bye to Lee is going to be about the extent of the moves.

Appears he is going to hold on to his younger guys like Young and Rozier , let em develop and gain value .    One could catch fire .

Think DA will give CBS a break , let the Celtics get more playoff experience , develop , Sully, Crowder , KO more ....their experience and time should increase their value this summer.

A major trade might happen ....if LeBron fails this year....he has out clause this summer and next as well.  Could be some teams blow up .

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I don't know if Woj touched on this (can't listen yet) but one thing I've heard mentioned by him before is that because the draft class is considered to be a bit weak this year that might dampen trades.  I find that unconvincing.  Last year was one of the most active deadlines ever, and I can't think of a single trade that involved a 2015 first that conveyed.  Only two trades that I can think of even involved a 2015 1st that had some chance of conveying -- the MCW-Knight-Lakers pick swap (pick was top-5 protected) and the Javale McGee salary dump (pick from OKC was top-18 protected).  It's pretty standard fare these days to trade picks multiple years into the future.

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
The Celtics want to trade for a star.  The stars that are going to be available are guys on expiring contracts who are all but guaranteed to leave, so that you overpay on a rental in hopes of convincing them to stay, and stars on bad teams who are too old to be the centerpiece of a long-term rebuild.  Those guys aren't available now, so a trade seems unlikely, although Ainge wil almostl certainly pull the trigger if he gets good value for someone on the Thomas-Crowder level of player like Gallinari.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

Offline Al91

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 18
I don't know if Woj touched on this (can't listen yet) but one thing I've heard mentioned by him before is that because the draft class is considered to be a bit weak this year that might dampen trades.  I find that unconvincing.  Last year was one of the most active deadlines ever, and I can't think of a single trade that involved a 2015 first that conveyed.  Only two trades that I can think of even involved a 2015 1st that had some chance of conveying -- the MCW-Knight-Lakers pick swap (pick was top-5 protected) and the Javale McGee salary dump (pick from OKC was top-18 protected).  It's pretty standard fare these days to trade picks multiple years into the future.

I've been thinking a lot about that bolded text lately and I'm convinced that the media flip-flop all year regarding that year's draft class strength, and then afterwards it's heralded as a great class. I've heard the guys like Sedano, Guitterez, and El-Hassan talk at different points about the last three draft classes (especially Sedano) and herald them as great classes....though at the time none of them were thought to generate any franchise-altering talent outside of 1-3 guys.

I don't know, I've been out on the draft for a couple years. I'm not really interested in any part of it this year besides where our picks will land. Otherwise, I'll just liven up around July.
Long-form is far from dead, but please refrain from paragraph-laden posts! Who wants to read that?!

Offline GreenCoffeeBean

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 91

Appears he is going to hold on to his younger guys like Young and Rozier , let em develop and gain value .    One could catch fire .

Think DA will give CBS a break , let the Celtics get more playoff experience , develop , Sully, Crowder , KO more ....their experience and time should increase their value this summer.

A major trade might happen ....if LeBron fails this year....he has out clause this summer and next as well.  Could be some teams blow up .

We're 30-22 with the same exact squad as last year. CBS doesn't need a break; he's bleeping awesome.

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!

Why should brad Stevens need a break? He's done way more with this roster than I think almost any other coach could do... Give the man a raise.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
i doubt anything will really happen at the trade deadline, and not just on the Celtics front. The biggest name that could move is Markieff (is it Markieff?) Morris in Phoenix. And maybe Ty Lawson, if there are any buyers. But other than that, I think it'll be real quiet. This offseason will be interesting though.
- LilRip

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Well I don't want to elaborate too too much - would love if people listened ;)

But it was pretty clear this past week of 'buzz' esp earlier in the week were due to social media/story aggregation wildfires (Woj and I discussed that a bit in depth at beginning of interview.)  Not saying that talks didn't exist, but there just not serious enough yet.  Those talks take place "every day" and if he "were to report on everyone of those - there'd not be enough room on the Internet for them."

One thing to really watch out for is, esp with the media are phrases like "Have Discussed" - for example "Team X and Team Y 'Have Discussed' a Trade for Player Z" - that means nothing.  Those are the types of talks that Woj said happen every day.  There haven't been any serious offers made back and forth by both teams where they were actually engaged in serious trade conversations.  Obviously, all trade talks have to evolve from something, but...

I've noticed recently as well that the Celtics and some of their execs have really peddled the value of draft picks and the value they will have down the road.  Asked Woj if that very well could be the organization getting a head start on some PR as they gear fans up for not making that "transformative" (their phrase, not mine) move that a lot of fans feel inevitable.  Woj pretty much agreed.  That guy isn't there, but one possibility could be Blake Griffin for the Celts in the summer.  His name has been out there now, albeit in the 'have discussed' headlines - very, very, very unlikely he's moved now.  Summer - different story.

Even I asked about possibly making one of those "incremental" moves like IT last year - cited Greg Monroe - even he felt a talent comparable to Monroe would be a stretch for someone the Celtics could acquire within these next few weeks.  What to watch for is Morris - he very well could be the domino just as last year's trade deadline where Dragic was the domino that triggered a crazy finish to the deadline.

Can't remember what else we talked about, as bizarre as that is. Interview was like 35-40 mins - know we did some Durant->GSW(?) Lakers ("not attractive destination") and his website of course.  Which again, kind of all ties into how the media operates around this time.

Best wishes and infinite thanks to those who actually go ahead and listen!
LHR
tp!

Offline LHR

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 33
  • Executive Producer & Host: Celtics Beat Podcast
back at you
Author: Fall of the Boston Celtics
Available Here: http://www.clnsradio/LHRbook

EP & Host: Celtics Beat Podcast
Available here: http://apple.co/1E29sq0