Author Topic: The Pacers have an absolute stud in Myles Turner. Steal of the draft.  (Read 3913 times)

Re: The Pacers have an absolute stud in Myles Turner. Steal of the draft.
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2016, 02:01:33 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
But that playoff run last year though! I'll cherish those memories forever.

Cmon, Pho.

Hey Wyc got to sit in his big-boy baseline seats for two whole ass-kickings and the pleasure to watch those wonderful Cavs get the brooms out on our own Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline.n court, AND little Brad got to coach 4 whole losing playoff games (invaluable, especially in a first round sweep compared to his 2 coaching stints in the NCAA Finals), and our players got to feel real playoff basketball, all at the expense of Wnslow/Turner or what we could've parlayed them into.

Yah, well worth it....sadly, many on here still cling to the belief that it was.

« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2016, 02:02:20 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

Cmon, Pho.

Hey Wyc got to sit in his big-boy baseline seats for two whole ass-kickings and the pleasure to watch those wonderful Cavs get the brooms out on our own ****n court, AND little Brad got to coach 4 whole losing playoff games (invaluable, especially in a first round sweep compared to his 2 coaching stints in the NCAA Finals), and our players got to feel real playoff basketball, all at the expense of Wnslow/Turner or what we could've parlayed them into.

Yah, well worth it....sadly, many on here still cling to the belief that it was.

And, you know, Isaiah Thomas
I'm bitter.

« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2016, 02:11:19 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
who cares? we've got TERRY ******' ROZIER!!
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2016, 02:19:02 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
This is my hell.......

« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2016, 02:20:58 PM »

• Ray Allen

Cmon, Pho.

Hey Wyc got to sit in his big-boy baseline seats for two whole ass-kickings and the pleasure to watch those wonderful Cavs get the brooms out on our own ****n court, AND little Brad got to coach 4 whole losing playoff games (invaluable, especially in a first round sweep compared to his 2 coaching stints in the NCAA Finals), and our players got to feel real playoff basketball, all at the expense of Wnslow/Turner or what we could've parlayed them into.

And, you know, Isaiah Thomas
IT did not push the meter enough to over-achieve like that. TP PHO and 60 year old dude!

« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2016, 02:28:26 PM »

• Ray Allen
Phew! It'd been a whole day since the last Turner thread. Glad you started a new one, Chambers.
Turner should be playing for us, right now. We honestly should have picked 11th or at worst traded for him. It was negligent to not let some guys go at the deadline and it ended up costing us big........it's just taken a few people this long to realize it.

Turner is a chip and even if he never turns into an all-star we could at worst be using him in a trade.

« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2016, 02:39:14 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469

Cmon, Pho.

Personally, I'm happy with the moves Danny made last season to acquire Crowder and Thomas.  I'm happy this team is developing a winning culture. 

I don't see much use in fretting over what players we didn't get by winning too many games. I like the position this team is in for the future, and I like that they are trying to win games and succeeding at it more often than not while rebuilding.

DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2016, 02:47:39 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
1.) Ainge clearly wanted to be out of the playoffs, but he can't go down and tell the players to throw games.  He wasn't expecting them to be as good as they were and did too good of a job if anything recognizing undervalued gems.

2.) If he did get caught throwing games, that would be pretty bad.

3.) That should have been our pick, but freak injuries to Bosh and PG13 caused them to miss the playoffs.  It was a very low probability that we shouldn't have drafted there and there's not much you can do about it.

4.) We have a better asset than Myles Turner that we have to keep happy and that is Brad Stevens.  Can you imagine going to Stevens and telling him to throw a couple games?  He's on a super cheap contract and we're going to have to make sure he's as happy as a clam to resign him.  If I had to pick between having Stevens as a coach for the next 15 years or drafting KAT as a rookie, I would have a really hard time picking and that isn't just homerism.

5.) If we hadn't made the playoffs last year, I don't think we'd be a 3 seed right now.  I think we'd be a 7 or 8 seed and get rolled out of the first round again.  I don't buy into the idea that being a 3 seed will make it much more likely we nab a star, but I like that we now have a legit shot to make it to the ECF.

« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2016, 02:54:59 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238

Cmon, Pho.

Personally, I'm happy with the moves Danny made last season to acquire Crowder and Thomas.  I'm happy this team is developing a winning culture. 

I don't see much use in fretting over what players we didn't get by winning too many games. I like the position this team is in for the future, and I like that they are trying to win games and succeeding at it more often than not while rebuilding.

We could have had our cake and eaten it too.

Thomas, Smart and Sully were all hurt at some points in time between the trade deadline and the end of the season. They easily could have been "rested" longer and Young and KO been force-fed minutes. We could have fought like hell and just missed the playoffs, and the assets that we would've accrued because of missing the playoffs would've put us farther ahead in the process (even though we're doing pretty well) than we are now.

But Wyc and Stevens wanted us there, and they won out, and we lost out.

« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2016, 03:47:35 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469

Cmon, Pho.

We could have had our cake and eaten it too.

Thomas, Smart and Sully were all hurt at some points in time between the trade deadline and the end of the season. They easily could have been "rested" longer and Young and KO been force-fed minutes. We could have fought like hell and just missed the playoffs, and the assets that we would've accrued because of missing the playoffs would've put us farther ahead in the process (even though we're doing pretty well) than we are now.

But Wyc and Stevens wanted us there, and they won out, and we lost out.

I don't think guys could have realistically "rested" longer than they needed to.  These are pros that want to play.  These guys want to win games.  Once you start asking them to abet in schemes to lose games for draft position, I think you are headed down a dangerous path.

Look, I agree with the theory that last year's team probably ended up being significantly better than Ainge expected.  That, to me, is a credit to the players and the coaches.

I don't think taking steps to sabotage the good thing they had going would have been helpful for the future health of the franchise, regardless of the resulting drop in draft position.

I know many think that abstract terms like "team culture" are meaningless.  I don't.  I think it's important to build a winning attitude and culture.  Of course you need talent, but you don't sacrifice playing the right way and competing to win for a chance at that talent.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2016, 03:54:11 PM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367
Myles Turner is a player who I thought would slip no further than the 8th pick on draft night. If you want to blame our genius coach for pushing us into the playoffs at the price of Myles Turner or Justise Winslow, blame the incompetent front offices that pushed them that far down the ladder for tormenting us with the possibility.

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2016, 04:04:31 PM »

Offline positivitize

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 614
  • Puns of steel
how is this a real argument?

wining > losing on purpose.
My biases, in order of fervor:
Pro:
Smart, Brown, Hayward, Tatum, Kemba, Grant Williams, Sleepy Williams, Edwards!

Anti:
Kanter, Semi, Theis, Poierier

« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2016, 04:25:26 PM »

Offline tomrod

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 26
Oh he looks like Bill Russell on defense and Kareem on offense. Shame on Ainge and Stevens for not turning the celtics into a joke and tanked last year. Burn them! boohoo

« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2016, 04:31:29 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
how is this a real argument?

wining > losing on purpose.

i would agree that it makes a tad more sense to judge the Cs on players taken after their slot in a given draft, as opposed to ones they missed out on because they didn't lose enough to reach an earlier pick...
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2016, 04:36:29 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Phew! It'd been a whole day since the last Turner thread. Glad you started a new one, Chambers.
Turner should be playing for us, right now. We honestly should have picked 11th or at worst traded for him. It was negligent to not let some guys go at the deadline and it ended up costing us big........it's just taken a few people this long to realize it.

Turner is a chip and even if he never turns into an all-star we could at worst be using him in a trade.

You have a point.  Just look at how many wins Bass is adding to the Lakers this year!
I'm bitter.