Author Topic: Question about Dragan Bender  (Read 3096 times)

Question about Dragan Bender
« on: February 06, 2016, 07:46:02 PM »

Offline coffee425

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122
It looks like Dragan is oozing with basketball skills. His weaknesses all seem to be based on his lack of physical strength (rebounding, post defense, inconsistent post offense).
So my question is, does anyone know how much quality weight/strength he can gain based on his body type?
Compared to other tall lanky players at 18, will he ever fill out the way that Unibrow, Aldridge, Joakim, and Gortat since their teenage bodies?
Or will he only end only staying lanky like Durant, Pau, Dirk, and older Duncan?
Even at the end of the game, we lined up in different formation that he hadn't seen and he called out our play before I got the ball. I heard him calling it out. -John Wall on Brad Stevens

Re: Question about Dragan Bender
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2016, 08:18:04 PM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
This was also an area of concern for me. I was watching the game he participated in earlier in the year (chicago), and they had a former nba scout provide commentary at one point. He wanted to emphasize that Bender will be insanely young when drafted, but he has already shown signs of adding muscle to his frame. The scout also felt that Bender has a frame that could at the best case scenario add 15 or 20 pounds by the time he is in his prime.

This sounds like bad news to those who want him to be a 270 Ish Marc gasol type, bUT he could feasibly hit 235-245 during his best years.  That would be plenty for a pf/sf.

It was such an obscure game a bunch of months ago, so I can't provide a link, so this is technically here say, but it should be a good jumping off point. Cheers.
#JKJB

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2016, 08:19:30 PM »

Offline coffee425

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122
This was also an area of concern for me. I was watching the game he participated in earlier in the year (chicago), and they had a former nba scout provide commentary at one point. He wanted to emphasize that Bender will be insanely young when drafted, but he has already shown signs of adding muscle to his frame. The scout also felt that Bender has a frame that could at the best case scenario add 15 or 20 pounds by the time he is in his prime.

This sounds like bad news to those who want him to be a 270 Ish Marc gasol type, bUT he could feasibly hit 235-245 during his best years.  That would be plenty for a pf/sf.

It was such an obscure game a bunch of months ago, so I can't provide a link, so this is technically here say, but it should be a good jumping off point. Cheers.

hmmm olynyk is 240... this could work.
Even at the end of the game, we lined up in different formation that he hadn't seen and he called out our play before I got the ball. I heard him calling it out. -John Wall on Brad Stevens

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2016, 08:38:29 PM »

Offline Yenohb

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 73
Some of the scouts said he hasn't started lifting weights yet. As per Jonathan Givony of DraftExpress.com He can take his game to the next level by starting to lift weights upon arrival to US.

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2016, 08:53:47 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
For what's it's worth he went from 202lbs in 2014 to 216lbs in 2015. Given his young age I have very little worries that he will be similar in size and build to pau gasol once he hits his prime. Google Pau when when he has a rookie and look at him now. I personally see a very simulate body type.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2016, 09:00:14 PM by CFAN38 »
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2016, 08:57:00 PM »

Offline Yenohb

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 73
Had a recent interview with DraftExpress. He said he is currently @ 100-102KG which is on the 220-225lbs range. Says he isn't focusing right now on gaining weight rather on the fundamentals of the game etc. Pretty smart kid for his age, showed a lot of maturity in the interview.

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/Dragan-Bender-Exclusive-DraftExpress-Interview-5363

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2016, 08:15:21 AM »

Offline Walter Moss

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 37
he is a great 18yo game and muscle phenomenon with amazing skillset

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2016, 08:58:46 AM »

Offline TwinTower14

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
what a fluid athlete for someone 7'1.  You watch the highlights of him running the floor, catching and finishing all in one motion?  I am curious on how he compares to Porzingis at the same age?  I believe Bender is two years younger?  Also he kind of looks like Justin Bieber, not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing? hahaha

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2016, 09:07:46 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
His offensive game lags behind Porzingas.

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2016, 12:19:41 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
I just came across a good article about him.  Thought I'd share.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/european-dispatch--getting-to-know-dragan-bender-195451386.html

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2016, 12:26:02 PM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
I just came across a good article about him.  Thought I'd share.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/european-dispatch--getting-to-know-dragan-bender-195451386.html

Didn't know John Givoni writes for The Vertical now. TP for the share.

Versatility has always been the key to Bender’s game. He was considered a non-shooter early in his career, yet continuously found ways to be productive with his passing, ball-handling and high basketball IQ. He plays with great confidence and does not hesitate to assert himself in games. Even when most young players would be comfortable parking in the corner and staying out of older teammates’ lanes, Bender comes into Euroleague games looking to make his presence felt.

This is what I think separates Bender as a prospect from someone like Kelly Olynyk. IMO he doesn't seem like the passive euro big who gets lost in the fray.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 12:34:06 PM by Smartacus »

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2016, 01:42:40 PM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203

True but there is the hope that he catches up quickly...he just turned 18 (November!).

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2016, 01:52:03 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

True but there is the hope that he catches up quickly...he just turned 18 (November!).

If we take Bender, I will certainly root for him, but I never like the idea of drafting a player higher than the player you hope for him to be (Bender this year at 3 / Porzingis last year at 4). I remember feeling this way about MKG, too (although I can't remember who he was compared to).

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2016, 02:06:22 PM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203

If we take Bender, I will certainly root for him, but I never like the idea of drafting a player higher than the player you hope for him to be (Bender this year at 3 / Porzingis last year at 4). I remember feeling this way about MKG, too (although I can't remember who he was compared to).

But I don't think you can compare drafts...Bender at #3 in 2016 while Porzingis was drafted at #4 in 2015 doesn't factor into my process...

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2016, 02:56:04 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

But I don't think you can compare drafts...Bender at #3 in 2016 while Porzingis was drafted at #4 in 2015 doesn't factor into my process...

Oh, totally - I just want to make sure we take the best player available at that point, not just take a player who reminds us of another successful player. How many potential Dirks have we seen through the years?