Author Topic: The Perfect Consolation Prize is Brown  (Read 7371 times)

Re: The Perfect Consolation Prize is Brown
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2016, 10:05:24 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
Brown has some tantalizing highlight reels.

Still, he seems to have a pretty wide range of outcomes, from Terrence Williams to Tony Wroten to Tyreke Evans to James Harden.

His ceiling is virtually limitless due to his physical tools. I'd be happy with him at #3, but he's a RISKY pick.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2016, 10:27:07 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

Actually he's not risky at all. Hey may not become a star, but that's true a virtually anyone drafted.

I think his Floor is Kidd Ghilchrist which is a great player to have, he just can't shoot, and that's the thing that's holding Brown back, but his shot looks a lot better at this point. So I like his chances.

« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2016, 10:29:44 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson

Actually he's not risky at all. Hey may not become a star, but that's true a virtually anyone drafted.

I think his Floor is Kidd Ghilchrist which is a great player to have, he just can't shoot, and that's the thing that's holding Brown back, but his shot looks a lot better at this point. So I like his chances.

MKG is a special defensive talent, Jaylen is not. His shot is much better than MKG's, but that's not saying much. Look, I like Brown. I had him at #3 on the Big Board I posted earlier in the week. But the reality is that this is a pretty weak draft and Brown is a very flawed prospect.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2016, 10:55:37 PM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318

MKG is a special defensive talent, Jaylen is not. His shot is much better than MKG's, but that's not saying much. Look, I like Brown. I had him at #3 on the Big Board I posted earlier in the week. But the reality is that this is a pretty weak draft and Brown is a very flawed prospect.

Brown is currently a step down from MKG as a prospect. Not an indictment to Brown but let's not jump the shark here...MKG was an elite defensive prospect on a team that eventually won the championship.

Brown still has a long way to go before he surpasses Bender Imo.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2016, 11:31:52 PM by Smartacus »

« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2016, 11:53:18 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson

Brown is currently a step down from MKG as a prospect. Not an indictment to Brown but let's not jump the shark here...MKG was an elite defensive prospect on a team that eventually won the championship.

Brown still has a long way to go before he surpasses Bender Imo.

Bender is starting to grow on me. His lack of playing time makes him so hard to evaluate though. I can't stand that competitive Euro League teams don't play their young guys.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2016, 12:06:24 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Valentine is the perfect consolation prize for me.  Perfect replacement for Turner next season.
Can do everything Turner can do but is a much better 3 pt shooter

One of the steals of the 2016 draft

« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2016, 12:24:31 AM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
5th after Dunn and Bender.  He'll be better than Bender for like 3 years, then will eventually get outclassed.  He'll never be better than Dunn

« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2016, 12:29:46 AM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 215
Valentine is the perfect consolation prize for me.  Perfect replacement for Turner next season.

Are you saying you would take Valentine with the 5th pick? 

I'm taking a swing on Diamond Stone way before Valentine.

I mean Valentine is a safe pick but it would be surprising for him to have any future star possibility. Would be a waste of a top pick.

« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2016, 12:36:20 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Smartacus and max: Have you seen any highlights or read updates on Bender since Draftxpress? I haven't come across anything but would like to see if it's out there. Or, is your optimism based on what you saw prior to this season?

Quetz: I've only seen Dunn twice, once about a week ago against Depaul. Man, he really struggled. Incredible athlete, and I sung him praises earlier this season (pick #3, even) based on highlight reels and some articles, but I'm not sure about him yet either.

Both have such size and athleticism that there's little doubt they will be solid NBA rotation players. Like Pho said, though, I wonder for both of them where they will end up -- huge range of outcomes.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 12:42:19 AM by tarheelsxxiii »
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2016, 12:52:12 AM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
Smartacus and max: Have you seen any highlights or read updates on Bender since Draftxpress? I haven't come across anything but would like to see if it's out there. Or, is your optimism based on what you saw prior to this season?

Quetz: I've only seen Dunn twice, once about a week ago against Depaul. Man, he really struggled. Incredible athlete, and I sung him praises earlier this season (pick #3, even) based on highlight reels and some articles, but I'm not sure about him yet either.

Both have such size and athleticism that there's little doubt they will be solid NBA rotation players. Like Pho said, though, I wonder for both of them where they will end up -- huge range of outcomes.
Bender has a smooth looking shot for someone his size. He also moves really well. He's very coordinated and looks quick. I think it's very close to a can't miss with this guy. Of course the lack of game clips makes it difficult. But guys his size don't normally shoot as smoothly and also move as quick. I'm going with my gut and calling this a great pick if we get him.

The only knock so far is that he doesn't naturally slide into the pocket when he's on the perimeter and off the ball from the videos I've seen. Also, he brings the ball too low and into players around the rim. But these things can be fixed.

Also, not much video on his defense or rebounding. This could be a game changer if there was some evidence that he could be a great help defender or not.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 12:57:46 AM by KeepRondo »

« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2016, 12:55:45 AM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson

With Bender the only thing to look for are the tools since he's so crazy raw. I've watched whatever highlights of his I could find, but I also have to trust the opinions of writers who I respect. As of right now, I'm cautiously optimistic about Bender, very cautiously though.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2016, 12:55:53 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

I mean Valentine is a safe pick but it would be surprising for him to have any future star possibility. Would be a waste of a top pick.

where do you come up with this? 

why does he not have any future star possibility?

He has one of the best handles out of all the 2016 prospects. One of the best pure passers. And is 6'6 with a 6'9 wingspan. Not too shabby.

« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2016, 01:20:19 AM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo

where do you come up with this? 

why does he not have any future star possibility?

He has one of the best handles out of all the 2016 prospects. One of the best pure passers. And is 6'6 with a 6'9 wingspan. Not too shabby.
He's not quick enough to play the 2 or 3. And he's undersized to play the 4. He also doesn't have much lift.

I'll give you the fact that he has a lot of game and that's what makes him a safe pick. But he's going to have trouble against better athletes.

« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2016, 02:57:42 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
 Nope. I'll Take Brown over MkG 10 times out of ten.
 I was shocked he went second in that draft.

MkG better rebounder and defender. Let's look at the numbers

Mkg 11.9 ppg 7.4 RPG 1 spg  1 bpg
 Per 40, 15.3 ppg  9.5 rpg 1.3 spg 1.2 bpg

Jaylen Brown 15.8 ppg 5.5 RPG .7 spg .6bpg

Per 40  23.1 ppg 8.1 RPG 1 spg 1 bpg

So 8ppg more as a freshman. And he's got great potential as a defender.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 04:02:56 AM by KG Living Legend »

« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2016, 04:51:28 AM »

Offline Sixth Man

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 82

Hield, Stone, Valentine - now that would be an interesting, if highly unlikely, trio for us.  Personally, I'd be over the moon with that.