Author Topic: Will we keep all our 1st round picks this year?  (Read 766 times)

Will we keep all our 1st round picks this year?
« on: February 06, 2016, 04:49:30 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 364
I was just looking at mock drafts and kind of remembered that right now we have 3 first round picks in the draft and the top 2nd round pick. Do you think we keep all these first round picks on a team with limited spaces? or possibly move/include them for future higher pick or players

im pretty confident we will keep the brooklyn pick because that is looking to be top 3-5 pick and we can get someone solid (unless someone like durant or griffin is available). but the others, its hard for me to see us adding another rozier style player to groom/learn

Re: Will we keep all our 1st round picks this year?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2016, 04:54:31 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
If we have to we will, DA won't be forced to move a pick bc of space, he's not in the business of giving them away.

I don't believe we will but won't be surprised if we do. DA structured contracts so that he has the option to go either way.
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2016, 04:58:31 PM »

Offline TA9

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 118
  • I Bleed Green
That's a hard one. Personally, I can't see him keeping all those picks. Imagine him having to draft 5 new players and offer them all a contract on this team. That would give us 8(!) fairly young players on this team (including the sophomores; Rozier, Hunter and Mickey). But then again he could potentially draft and stash.
Nonetheless, it will be interesting to see what will happen when draft comes around in June ::)
Jack of all trades, master of none.

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2016, 04:59:27 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
I think he'll likely trade them, but we have a lot of expiring contracts this year.  He could easily keep them or stash players like Bender or Zhou Qi.  He's got the flexibility to make a trade, but also not have to make one at the same time.

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2016, 05:17:07 PM »

Offline Emmette Bryant

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 286
Although I think he'll trade them, he possibly could draft international players

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2016, 05:28:13 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I agree a few international players may be the option he choose with the later first

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2016, 06:21:46 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I don't think Danny will be using those later first rounders(Celtics and Mavs) on players that will be playing for the Celtics net year. If Ainge gets a top 2 pick, suddenly he has a rotational player role taken up because Simmons and Ingram will need playing time for development. Its the same way Smart instantly became a rotational player the minute he was drafted.

I think after the Brooklyn pick, every other pick is trade fodder if they get Simmons or Ingram. Whether Danny trades themwith players for future picks or whether as part of a package to land someone, if the C's get their guy, they won't be needing all those other picks as Ainge is going to sell free agents on Stevens, Simmons or Ingram, IT, Crowder, Smart, winning environment and a deep bench to lure the free agents.

If the C's don't get a top 2 pick I expect Ainge to package every other pick in this draft in order to move up in the top 2.

Either way, I think we end up with Simmons or Ingram and no other firsts. The high 2nd rounders will be used to stash players. Remember, signing Euros can sometimes get tricky if the 1st round slot gives them future earnings less than they would get playing in Europe. Drafting stashed players in the second round allows for the ability to offer much larger contracts that the player will be happy to take over the more stringent lottery salary slots you have to pay out for if drafted in the first round.

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2016, 08:05:25 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
Nah

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2016, 08:29:58 PM »

Offline konkmv

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
I think he will try to trade for a 2017 first... maybe with ou pick..and use thw dallas pick wit some seconds to move up...

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2016, 08:31:26 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
Can't see us keeping all picks. A trade has to happen or we'll be letting a lot of talent go for no reason other than "roster space".
- LilRip