Author Topic: Larry Bird doesn't expect to live a long life  (Read 2905 times)

Larry Bird doesn't expect to live a long life
« on: February 06, 2016, 04:26:32 PM »

Offline Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 150
This is the first I've heard of Bird's longevity concerns. Kind of makes sense because of his height and health factors. Rarely do we hear of professional basketball players dying in their 90's.

To be fair most people don't make it to 90. Then again, these players were uber athletes, one would expect most of them to live to age 90 or better. 

http://nesn.com/2016/02/larry-bird-contemplates-own-mortality-doesnt-expect-to-live-to-age-75/?utm_source=zergnet.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=zergnet_885052

Re: Larry Bird doesn't expect to live a long life
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2016, 04:58:29 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I am tall about the same size as Larry in height.   I am 6-8.5 in shoes.   Being tall is hard on your heart, it also puts you at higher risk for cancer.   It is a fact.   

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/crux/2013/11/08/is-being-tall-hazardous-to-your-health/

It is nothing one can get treatment for.   I have reaped benefits of being tall, too.   It helps in sports, I am a lot stronger than men younger than me.   People get out of my way, no one cuts in front of me in line and people only mouth off to me on the internet.   I would not trade a thing.

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2016, 05:19:41 PM »

Offline Emmette Bryant

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 286
I have reaped benefits of being tall, too.   It helps in sports, I am a lot stronger than men younger than me.   People get out of my way, no one cuts in front of me in line and people only mouth off to me on the internet.   I would not trade a thing.

You forgot the part about getting all of the chicks.

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2016, 06:09:39 PM »

Offline Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 150
Hadn't thought of this before, either Celtics players or former players have had their share of heart problems, e.g., Pete Maravich, Dennis Johnson, Danny Ainge, Larry Bird, Reggie Lewis, (Len Bias was never officially a Celtic I believe) Jeff Green...Likely there are more that I hadn't thought about or we don't their status. 

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2016, 06:14:41 PM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
I have reaped benefits of being tall, too.   It helps in sports, I am a lot stronger than men younger than me.   People get out of my way, no one cuts in front of me in line and people only mouth off to me on the internet.   I would not trade a thing.

You forgot the part about getting all of the chicks.

That only took  two posts lol
« Last Edit: February 06, 2016, 06:21:16 PM by Clench123 »

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2016, 06:22:47 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
This is the first I've heard of Bird's longevity concerns. Kind of makes sense because of his height and health factors. Rarely do we hear of professional basketball players dying in their 90's.

To be fair most people don't make it to 90. Then again, these players were uber athletes, one would expect most of them to live to age 90 or better. 

http://nesn.com/2016/02/larry-bird-contemplates-own-mortality-doesnt-expect-to-live-to-age-75/?utm_source=zergnet.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=zergnet_885052

Also to be fair the NBA hasn't been around long enough for many of the prominent players to have reached 90.  Tommy and Russell started their careers when the league wasn't even a decade old and they're still just 81.

But yeah, extremely tall people usually have some major health issues that go along with it.  Seems more prominent among the real giants though.

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2016, 06:34:05 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
It would probably bode better for him if he would hit the elliptical, do some light weight training, and take up yoga. Obviously anything can happen to anybody, but there are many ways for everybody to give it their best shot - even if it is harder that they are tall.

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2016, 06:47:28 PM »

Offline BornReady

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 40

Actually generally pro athletes don't live as long as general population
Though they r fitter than regular people
Being in sports pushes their physical limits and makes them more prone to injuries

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2016, 06:57:42 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
A lot of the big guy from basketball and football are really going fast .....boxer and wrestlers too.....

The Heath habit s , foods , drugs etc were not good during the 60-80 era in particular . 

All the Moses Malone types seem to be really passing on .   

Tho the euro white males seem to live long,  but men from those Slavic ounties are tall anyway or more natural.to be large of statue

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2016, 06:59:15 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

Actually generally pro athletes don't live as long as general population
Though they r fitter than regular people
Being in sports pushes their physical limits and makes them more prone to injuries

I always got the feeling that this was because some of them just never really did anything athletic again after retiring from their sport - basically getting 'burnt out' after working so hard for so many years. Have you seen some of these dudes? They aren't just 'big guys', they are quite overweight.

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2016, 07:01:17 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
I m worried about Shaq he just gets bigger and bigger

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2016, 02:58:06 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville

Most ppl reading this won't  live to 90.

Larry says instead he won't make it to 75.

He might know something he does not want to say  :-\

Other than that, all I can say is that there is a negative correlation between extreme height and longevity but the correlation is not so strong as to make assumptions based only on this.