Author Topic: Does win in Cle change what you want to do at deadline?  (Read 2570 times)

Re: Does win in Cle change what you want to do at deadline?
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2016, 08:29:08 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
If JR Smith didn't give Turner an and-1 opportunity, we wouldn't have won lol. 5 points in 5 seconds is not something you see everyday. That said, no, this doesn't change anything. I still want to make a move to improve the team (D12 or Horford, for example), but I wouldn't give up major assets until the offseason.
- LilRip

« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2016, 08:29:21 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
I still see us getting crushed by the cavs in the playoffs if we manage to get that far.  It was a great win, but the playoffs are a different beast.

I think the plan stays the same.  We will go for a quasi star if we can get him for a bargain.  We will go all-in on a legit superstar if one hits the market.  Otherwise we will head into the offseason with double max cap space and tons of flexibility.

Negative LarBrd33 to the rescue.

I disagree. Just because the fourth youngest team was swept out of the playoffs by the Cavs last season, doesn't mean that we can't win this year. This was a Celtic team that was star-studded by the Cavs earlier this year. The Celtics played the Cavs like a younger brother plays a bigger brother--timid, scared, and indecisive. Last night might have been the Celtics figuring out that they can grind against the Cavs. Thomas was not efficient, but he started to figure it out a little in the 4th. Crowder got a lot of open shots that he normally makes, but again, he looked a little scared offensively (not defensively).

This is a different team than last year. They are tougher, grittier, and more efficient. They have developed.

Don't underestimate how togetherness, feistiness, and positivity can beat negativity, passivity, disconnecteness, and entitlement.

I'm not guaranteeing a win if the Celtics played the Cavs in the playoffs, but I don't think we get "crushed."
in defense of lb, his point is a valid one shared by many here. lb has posted with a preposterous amount of negativity in the past, which has stirred up copious amount of justified ire. but in this instance his post is realistic and i think sincere.

here, i agree with him and his reasonsing.
I've posted copious amount of rational thought and realism with a mild twinge of pessimism.  This team would get crushed by the Cavs in a 7 game series. 

DefenseWinsChamps, you should change your name to "TalentWinsChamps".   Unless LeBron gets hurt or we shake up the roster in a significant way, this team isn't getting over the Cavs hump.  Let's not forget that this Boston team beat the Cavs twice last season.  It didn't stop them from curb-stomping us in 4 games come playoff time.

I think we've played really well.  OUr team is better than last year (on pace to win 47 games).  We should be happy about the win last night.  The team is on a hot streak.  If we stand pat, we'd maybe even sneak out a win or two against them... but in a 7 game series, we're not beating them. 

Don't take my word for it.  Ainge himself admits this team isn't competing for a championship.  As he describes it:  “The reality is that we haven’t done anything yet other than not falling to the bottom of the barrel.”

Nothing changes.   If an upgrade can be had for very little (Gallo for a late 1st), we'll probably jump on it.  If a true superstar game-changer like Cousins, Blake or Durant hits the market... Boston will give up the entire farm to try and snag the guy.  Otherwise, we'll stay the course, do our best to go deep into the playoffs, hope for the best in the lotto and go hard in free agency.

The celtics xan beat any team in the east in a playoff series save for the cavs. Atl and tor are beatable but the cs match up bad with the cavs. Last night was a great win but remember love was out and the jr smith foul was apparently ruled incorrect by the nba

« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2016, 08:45:54 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
If JR Smith didn't give Turner an and-1 opportunity, we wouldn't have won lol. 5 points in 5 seconds is not something you see everyday. That said, no, this doesn't change anything. I still want to make a move to improve the team (D12 or Horford, for example), but I wouldn't give up major assets until the offseason.

NBA admitted that Smith didn't actually foul him.

Thanks, refs! 

Seriously, though... this is why I refuse to ever complain about refs.  It goes both ways.  Fans only whine about the ones that hurt their team.  Their bad calls down the stretch gave us an undeserved win.  Not just the JR Smith thing, but they could have easily called Marcus Smart for multiple fouls when he was boxing out Mozgav. 

Anyways... win or loss there, bottom line is that nothing changes.  Great win even with the help of the refs.  Excited to see if something presents itself at the deadline.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2016, 08:57:16 PM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2016, 08:52:12 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804

Thanks, refs! 

Seriously, though... this is why I refuse to ever complain about refs.  It goes both ways.  Fans only whine about the ones that hurt their team.  Their bad calls down the stretch gave us an undeserved win.  Not just the JR Smith thing, but they could have easily called Marcus Smart for multiple fouls when he was boxing out Mozgav. 

Anyways... win or loss there, bottom line is that nothing changes.  Great win even with the help of the refs.  Excited to see if something presents itself at the deadline.

So the bad calls on us don't count? LOL

You can literally go through every close game and find reffing mistakes. If that's your measure then the winning team never actually wins.

You act as if the Celts shouldn't get credit for capitalizing on those mistakes. It happens, we just made good on their (refs and Cavs) mistakes!

Undeserved win my...
« Last Edit: February 06, 2016, 09:01:07 PM by ImShakHeIsShaq »
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2016, 08:56:11 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

Thanks, refs! 

Dunno.  Did the NBA review all of the plays or just this one?  Luckily, admitting to the mistake doesn't change the result in the win/loss column.

« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2016, 08:58:43 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699

Thanks, refs! 

Dunno.  Did the NBA review all of the plays or just this one?  Luckily, admitting to the mistake doesn't change the result in the win/loss column.

Id be fine with this, even if they reverse the win.. IF THEY ADMIT THEY HOSED US IN 2010 AND REVERSE THE FAKERS WIN

« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2016, 09:10:11 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
seriously the nba comes out with a statement like this ? Good lord they have to protect Lebron no matter what . It really is sickening ....

« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2016, 09:28:14 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
I still see us getting crushed by the cavs in the playoffs if we manage to get that far.  It was a great win, but the playoffs are a different beast.

I think the plan stays the same.  We will go for a quasi star if we can get him for a bargain.  We will go all-in on a legit superstar if one hits the market.  Otherwise we will head into the offseason with double max cap space and tons of flexibility.

Negative LarBrd33 to the rescue.

I disagree. Just because the fourth youngest team was swept out of the playoffs by the Cavs last season, doesn't mean that we can't win this year. This was a Celtic team that was star-studded by the Cavs earlier this year. The Celtics played the Cavs like a younger brother plays a bigger brother--timid, scared, and indecisive. Last night might have been the Celtics figuring out that they can grind against the Cavs. Thomas was not efficient, but he started to figure it out a little in the 4th. Crowder got a lot of open shots that he normally makes, but again, he looked a little scared offensively (not defensively).

This is a different team than last year. They are tougher, grittier, and more efficient. They have developed.

Don't underestimate how togetherness, feistiness, and positivity can beat negativity, passivity, disconnecteness, and entitlement.

I'm not guaranteeing a win if the Celtics played the Cavs in the playoffs, but I don't think we get "crushed."
in defense of lb, his point is a valid one shared by many here. lb has posted with a preposterous amount of negativity in the past, which has stirred up copious amount of justified ire. but in this instance his post is realistic and i think sincere.

here, i agree with him and his reasonsing.
I've posted copious amount of rational thought and realism with a mild twinge of pessimism.  This team would get crushed by the Cavs in a 7 game series. 

DefenseWinsChamps, you should change your name to "TalentWinsChamps".   Unless LeBron gets hurt or we shake up the roster in a significant way, this team isn't getting over the Cavs hump.  Let's not forget that this Boston team beat the Cavs twice last season.  It didn't stop them from curb-stomping us in 4 games come playoff time.

I think we've played really well.  OUr team is better than last year (on pace to win 47 games).  We should be happy about the win last night.  The team is on a hot streak.  If we stand pat, we'd maybe even sneak out a win or two against them... but in a 7 game series, we're not beating them. 

Don't take my word for it.  Ainge himself admits this team isn't competing for a championship.  As he describes it:  “The reality is that we haven’t done anything yet other than not falling to the bottom of the barrel.”

Nothing changes.   If an upgrade can be had for very little (Gallo for a late 1st), we'll probably jump on it.  If a true superstar game-changer like Cousins, Blake or Durant hits the market... Boston will give up the entire farm to try and snag the guy.  Otherwise, we'll stay the course, do our best to go deep into the playoffs, hope for the best in the lotto and go hard in free agency.

"Twinge of pessimism" - I actually do respect your opinion on here. Fans overhype their own players so much. It's obvious you want to have a balanced approach.

But I think your pessimism gets in the way quite a bit. Again, I will say that the Celtics team last year was 4th youngest in the league, few of whom over played a meaningful playoff minute, and none of whom were starters on a playoff team. There should be some optimism that the Celtics will be better than last year.

Other reasons for optimism:
Brad Stevens>Tyrone Lue
Celtics connectedness>Cavs connectedness
Celtics defense>Cavs defense
Celtics effort>Cavs effort
We have defenders who can guard Lebron and Irving at a really good level

I do appreciate your balanced approach, but I completely disagree that we would be "crushed" by the Cavs. I think we can and would take them to 6 games. If the Celtics come out more aggressively and confidently, like they play against the Warriors, we'd have a really good shot, but for some reason, we always play tight, nervous, and tentative against the Cavs.

« Reply #38 on: February 07, 2016, 09:45:53 AM »

Offline Al91

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 18
One win shouldn't alter a franchise's plans facing the deadline. Just like one loss, or a small string of losses, shouldn't result in a coach's dismissal (ex. Malone last year, McHale this year). Unfortunately, the latter happens all too frequently.
Long-form is far from dead, but please refrain from paragraph-laden posts! Who wants to read that?!