Author Topic: Does win in Cle change what you want to do at deadline?  (Read 2536 times)

Re: Does win in Cle change what you want to do at deadline?
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2016, 02:33:50 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Title says it all.  Of course 1 game shouldn't change your entire philosophy on what you think the team should do at the deadline, but I think more discussions should be had now that it's clear we can at least compete with the top of the east.  To me this was a big win for the celts mindset as they finally got over the hump against a team that clearly stands in the way of any eastern team attempting to make a run.

1. Are you more/less willing to trade for a rental?

2. Are you more/less willing to trade Nets '16 (to a lesser extent '17 swap and '18)

3. Are you more/less willing to trade one of our core (IT, AB, Crowder, Marcus)

I'm not saying I now want to mortgage the future or that I'm now sold on all our dudes, just want to see where people are at on the deadline now.

Only a fool would think that this one win makes us capable of beating them in a series.  The title says you should never quit your day job and try to GM more than anything to me.

We should always be striving to get better as a team, one win should never change that mindset.  Even good teams can improve.

« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2016, 02:56:36 PM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 215
Not really because I didn't want to make any moves beforehand unless it's for a Westbrook type.

The best move is to post the best record we can and win a series or two. From there we got 50 mil in cap and a top 5 draft pick.

Durant signing with us is not so crazy anymore. But Cs gotta finish strong. And if we miss on Durant, Westbrook could be the next domino to fall in OKC. If both fail, we still might get a top two pick.

No need to panic. One stupid move might lock us into only being as good as the Clips. We don't want to get locked into being really really good but not able to contend for championship status.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2016, 05:10:55 PM by KeepRondo »

« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2016, 02:56:51 PM »

Offline i believe in brad

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 30
Title says it all.  Of course 1 game shouldn't change your entire philosophy on what you think the team should do at the deadline, but I think more discussions should be had now that it's clear we can at least compete with the top of the east.  To me this was a big win for the celts mindset as they finally got over the hump against a team that clearly stands in the way of any eastern team attempting to make a run.

2. Are you more/less willing to trade Nets '16 (to a lesser extent '17 swap and '18)

I'm not saying I now want to mortgage the future or that I'm now sold on all our dudes, just want to see where people are at on the deadline now.

Only a fool would think that this one win makes us capable of beating them in a series.  The title says you should never quit your day job and try to GM more than anything to me.

We should always be striving to get better as a team, one win should never change that mindset.  Even good teams can improve.

I think people are underselling how much a win like this helpsr a team's psyche.  If we had lost, it would have been 6 in a row since the first round last year. 

Again I don't think I was proposing anything crazy.  I am in the camp that thinks nets '16 for Hayward would pay huge dividends for us, but I know a lot of people were on the fence about a deal like that.  Was just wondering if that had changed due to what I referenced above.

« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2016, 03:01:42 PM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 215

I think people are underselling how much a win like this helpsr a team's psyche.  If we had lost, it would have been 6 in a row since the first round last year. 

Again I don't think I was proposing anything crazy.  I am in the camp that thinks nets '16 for Hayward would pay huge dividends for us, but I know a lot of people were on the fence about a deal like that.  Was just wondering if that had changed due to what I referenced above.
That's a panic move that a team with very few options might make.

« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2016, 03:40:30 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
I still see us getting crushed by the cavs in the playoffs if we manage to get that far.  It was a great win, but the playoffs are a different beast.

I think the plan stays the same.  We will go for a quasi star if we can get him for a bargain.  We will go all-in on a legit superstar if one hits the market.  Otherwise we will head into the offseason with double max cap space and tons of flexibility.

I think this is pretty transparently what Danny plans to do. No need to change any plans.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2016, 04:54:01 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 359
I still see us getting crushed by the cavs in the playoffs if we manage to get that far.  It was a great win, but the playoffs are a different beast.

I think the plan stays the same.  We will go for a quasi star if we can get him for a bargain.  We will go all-in on a legit superstar if one hits the market.  Otherwise we will head into the offseason with double max cap space and tons of flexibility.

im curious if our recent success will change how free agent stars look at us this summer. Right now we have an all-star in thomas and some pretty solid pieces like bradley, crowder, smart etc.

this isnt a team where if a star came they would have to do alot of work to put players around them as most of the supporting players are already here.

« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2016, 05:35:47 PM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

Negative LarBrd33 to the rescue.

I disagree. Just because the fourth youngest team was swept out of the playoffs by the Cavs last season, doesn't mean that we can't win this year. This was a Celtic team that was star-studded by the Cavs earlier this year. The Celtics played the Cavs like a younger brother plays a bigger brother--timid, scared, and indecisive. Last night might have been the Celtics figuring out that they can grind against the Cavs. Thomas was not efficient, but he started to figure it out a little in the 4th. Crowder got a lot of open shots that he normally makes, but again, he looked a little scared offensively (not defensively).

This is a different team than last year. They are tougher, grittier, and more efficient. They have developed.

Don't underestimate how togetherness, feistiness, and positivity can beat negativity, passivity, disconnecteness, and entitlement.

I'm not guaranteeing a win if the Celtics played the Cavs in the playoffs, but I don't think we get "crushed."

« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2016, 05:57:26 PM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja

all in all i agree. though please keep in mind that i also was wrong about the last 1/2 of last season as well as the celtics "regressing" this season.  :P

unless a deal comes by the helps the team build for the future, i dont see any point in a trade. if ainge can trade now for a star, do it. that might make it easier to pick up the second star in free agency.

but no matter what else, keep CBS!! i want to see what he can do when he finally gets a star or two on the team and maximizes their ability.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2016, 06:06:09 PM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja

I disagree. Just because the fourth youngest team was swept out of the playoffs by the Cavs last season, doesn't mean that we can't win this year. This was a Celtic team that was star-studded by the Cavs earlier this year. The Celtics played the Cavs like a younger brother plays a bigger brother--timid, scared, and indecisive. Last night might have been the Celtics figuring out that they can grind against the Cavs. Thomas was not efficient, but he started to figure it out a little in the 4th. Crowder got a lot of open shots that he normally makes, but again, he looked a little scared offensively (not defensively).

This is a different team than last year. They are tougher, grittier, and more efficient. They have developed.

Don't underestimate how togetherness, feistiness, and positivity can beat negativity, passivity, disconnecteness, and entitlement.

I'm not guaranteeing a win if the Celtics played the Cavs in the playoffs, but I don't think we get "crushed."
in defense of lb, his point is a valid one shared by many here. lb has posted with a preposterous amount of negativity in the past, which has stirred up copious amount of justified ire. but in this instance his post is realistic and i think sincere.

here, i agree with him and his reasonsing.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2016, 06:11:09 PM »

Offline passesofftodj

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 20

The Celts were crushed last night early and IT is not a go to in playoff crunch time.  In the playoffs the bench advantage that gets them back into games will shrink, the length of the Cavs will be a problem, and the refs will parade LeBron to the line even more than they did last night.

And, in no way should this awesome win alter the course.  You keep the BK picks unless they net a true superstar (and I do not mean Horford or Hayward).

« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2016, 06:16:28 PM »

Offline Greyman

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 211
I am in the 'no' camp. This win has topped off a nice run recently and we can feel that the team are progressing and getting closer to being a contender. That isn't a sign to rush to be a contender right now and force the issue. If someone (really good) is available at a reasonable cost, you have to upgrade and hope to improve the team's chances this season. There will be greater opportunity at season's end though and we will know more about where the Brooklyn pick lands.

I understand the whole sense of urgency and feeling that we are so close now, maybe a deal or two takes us up a rung. It is also a chance that you can blow assets on a supposed star who is on the market for a reason.

« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2016, 06:18:58 PM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
We will see. The assumption is still as negative as possible. We will be "crushed"? Comon'. I understand if you still think that the Cavs will and should be favorites to beat us, but I think we are proving this year that we can play with anyone--anyone--and not be "crushed."

« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2016, 07:49:58 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
Lol Celtics barely beat the Cavs. Partly it took a bit of luck on that 3.

We still need to upgrade the roster.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2016, 07:52:37 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
We will see. The assumption is still as negative as possible. We will be "crushed"? Comon'. I understand if you still think that the Cavs will and should be favorites to beat us, but I think we are proving this year that we can play with anyone--anyone--and not be "crushed."

They whooped us no question but they didn't even crush us last season's playoffs.

To the thread question, NO.
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2016, 08:03:24 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

in defense of lb, his point is a valid one shared by many here. lb has posted with a preposterous amount of negativity in the past, which has stirred up copious amount of justified ire. but in this instance his post is realistic and i think sincere.

here, i agree with him and his reasonsing.
I've posted copious amount of rational thought and realism with a mild twinge of pessimism.  This team would get crushed by the Cavs in a 7 game series. 

DefenseWinsChamps, you should change your name to "TalentWinsChamps".   Unless LeBron gets hurt or we shake up the roster in a significant way, this team isn't getting over the Cavs hump.  Let's not forget that this Boston team beat the Cavs twice last season.  It didn't stop them from curb-stomping us in 4 games come playoff time.

I think we've played really well.  OUr team is better than last year (on pace to win 47 games).  We should be happy about the win last night.  The team is on a hot streak.  If we stand pat, we'd maybe even sneak out a win or two against them... but in a 7 game series, we're not beating them. 

Don't take my word for it.  Ainge himself admits this team isn't competing for a championship.  As he describes it:  “The reality is that we haven’t done anything yet other than not falling to the bottom of the barrel.”

Nothing changes.   If an upgrade can be had for very little (Gallo for a late 1st), we'll probably jump on it.  If a true superstar game-changer like Cousins, Blake or Durant hits the market... Boston will give up the entire farm to try and snag the guy.  Otherwise, we'll stay the course, do our best to go deep into the playoffs, hope for the best in the lotto and go hard in free agency.