Author Topic: Sullinger Questioning Brad's Substition?  (Read 3834 times)

Re: Sullinger Questioning Brad's Substition?
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2016, 02:50:52 PM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 215
https://youtu.be/oCv3lRYbpw4?t=28

Turner shooting and 1 free throw. BS decides to sub Smart for Sullinger. Sullinger seems to disagree with the substitution based on his reaction. Did I get it right?

I would've disagreed as well, taking off your best rebounder in that situation off the floor for a guard is a very questionable decision. More than questionable, surprising.

Down 2, with 5 seconds left, you have an 85% free throw shooter (whose also having a pretty good game) at the line shooting 1.  Your strategy is to play for the rebound?

I think most coaches are playing for the make and going for a quick steal/foul off the inbounds pass.  Not a situation I would want Sullinger in.  Crowder, Smart, Bradley, Turner, Thomas are my guys every time in that scenario.  I feel like that's a pretty basic/normal strategy here.

When the C's needed to score, and the likelihood of a miss is much greater, Sullinger was right back in there though.

You know what though, every time Sullinger questions Stevens, it seems to turn out great for the C's.  Remember this play? https://streamable.com/s1zf  I now want Sullinger questioning Stevens all the time  ;)

Yeah, that's what I was saying earlier.  They didn't expect Turner to miss that FT.  This was done for the inbounds pass off the made bucket with plan B being to foul.
Looked like the plan was for Smart to foul Mozgov. Maybe the refs were trying to do the Cavs a favor by not calling it but it worked out well for the Cs.

I guess it's a good thing they outlawed jumping on someone's back or that play never happens. But maybe it would had been worth it to see Smart jump on Moz and put him in a choke hold.

« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2016, 03:00:08 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
Interesting question, though. Why on Earth DID Stevens make that sub? It turned out well, but that was a pretty improbable way for things to play out. Wasn't our best chance a miss and offensive rebound?

Maybe he was conceding the rebound and wanted Smart's footspeed to go all out trying to defend/steal the inbound or, failing that, get the foul faster?

Because Brad is a wizard.

« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2016, 03:31:39 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
https://youtu.be/oCv3lRYbpw4?t=28

Turner shooting and 1 free throw. BS decides to sub Smart for Sullinger. Sullinger seems to disagree with the substitution based on his reaction. Did I get it right?

I would've disagreed as well, taking off your best rebounder in that situation off the floor for a guard is a very questionable decision. More than questionable, surprising.

Down 2, with 5 seconds left, you have an 85% free throw shooter (whose also having a pretty good game) at the line shooting 1.  Your strategy is to play for the rebound?

I think most coaches are playing for the make and going for a quick steal/foul off the inbounds pass.  Not a situation I would want Sullinger in.  Crowder, Smart, Bradley, Turner, Thomas are my guys every time in that scenario.  I feel like that's a pretty basic/normal strategy here.

When the C's needed to score, and the likelihood of a miss is much greater, Sullinger was right back in there though.

You know what though, every time Sullinger questions Stevens, it seems to turn out great for the C's.  Remember this play? https://streamable.com/s1zf  I now want Sullinger questioning Stevens all the time  ;)

I was VERY careful with my wording. And I meant it in the purest meaning of the word, it's a questionable move, and surprising as well. Consider, I didn't say bad or good, just questionable.

So yes, it is a questionable move as it's a questionable move to make, just like it happened last night, there was a miss, with no bigs on the floor. Thankfully it worked out, because as I mentioned I fully support having smaller feisty players in there causing havoc on the offensive boards on free-throws, and are hard to box out. Just the same a big is able to tip the ball in on a miss, particularly with little time left on the clock. And as mentioned, Sully had just come off a play with an offensive rebound with an assist for a 3-pointer (and he also grabbed 5 offensive rebounds in that game).

But certainly, playing for the quick steal is a valid strategy as well. That said, I thought the move was to foul Thompson regardless.

I meant every word I said, me being a sole big on the floor's shoes, and being the best rebounder, I would've been caught off guard for sure being subbed in by a guard in that situation. So yes it was questionable, yes it was surprising. From an outside view? Very much understandable considering the varying strategies one can employ doing such a move, even if I don't fully support it to its entirety. I'm 50/50 on the move, whether I'm wrong or not. I'd try to maximize some potential offensive rebound and then having enough players out there to play for the steal. No bigs also means that an easy can be made for the entry pass (which works if the pass is to Thompson regardless, who was later subbed out). Bigs are also good to bother the entry passer as well.

But meh. I have no beef with Stevens doing this move. I fully understand it, and have no real qualms with it. I still think it's a questionable move to make, and if I was the sole big on the floor at the time, I'd have trouble understanding it as well, and would've been caught off guard. Would've reacted much better to it though, just the same I understand the reaction. No biggie.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2016, 03:41:51 PM by BudweiserCeltic »

« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2016, 03:56:07 PM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134
Sully's body language is terrible IMO.  Doesn't seem to pay attention when in the huddle, which I am sure others have noticed.  I saw this reaction last night and can't blame him for wanting to be out there, but at the same time your coach is there for a reason.  Too many question marks and concerns with Sully and his contract coming up.  Free Mickey!!!

It's one of the many reasons why I don't think he's going to be here past this year.  His body language is awful. We can do better at his position anyway.  Either through trade or in the draft.

Our GM has built a treasure trove of assets to improve any position he desires, and I think PF (or Center of course) is first on his list.

« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2016, 03:59:41 PM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
Smart is a better defender and effort guy than Sully.  It was the right call.   Hopefully, in a few weeks and trade we won't be talking about Sully and he will be in our rear mirror.

It was a bad reaction, but these guys are competitive, even outshape guys like Jared.  I think he thought he was the best guy for us at that time.   CBS ended up right, but we should not make a mountain out of a mole hill.  Sully really sees himself as a hero, big time player although he could not be more wrong.   I think he really sees himself that way.

Nailed it right here

« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2016, 04:40:54 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
Smart said he was told to foul Mozgov but while it was going on he thought that he could get the ball so he went for it.

They should be mad at Mozgov for letting a guard push him under the basket in that crucial situation.

Smaht would not be denied!

It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2016, 04:42:55 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
I saw that too, and in my opinion, the idiot should be questioning his FT shooting down the stretch.

Didn't his dad already talk with him about maturity and body language on the court?  From what I've seen all year, he hasn't listened at all.

While I'd say this is a tad strong, I'm more or less under the same frame of mind. Sully needs to worry about himself and improving his game, particularly his extremely shaky shooting.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2016, 05:26:22 PM »

Offline CelticPride2016

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 247
I don't understand the support for Sullinger. He is a fat man playing a game that demands fitness. He is getting by on raw natural talent that never improves. This is the same guy that manhandled his girlfriend. It's true that even his father throws Sully under the bus. It's all Sullinger's fault. If he has an eating disorder, then I'll recant that. Either way, whether he is fat because he has an illness or he is fat because he is a greedy pig, he is fat. Fat basketball players aren't worth much unless they are Shaq and even that story was bittersweet for Boston.

I concede I was wrong on Evan Turner. I will do no such thing with Jared Sullinger. I can't wait until he is off the team! I'll still root for him while he's a Celtic. His days in Boston seem numbered.

« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2016, 06:25:29 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Sully is a great rebounder and all, but subbing in a guy like Smart actually makes a lot of sense given the situation. Obviously Turner was expected to make the shot and you need him for the inbounds play, but also I trust Smart getting around Mozgov more than Sully. Sully boxes out worth the best of them, but he isn't exactly sneaky and aggressive, especially since the defensive player is already given the box-out position for the free throw.

As for Sully - oh well, he wanted to play at a critical juncture, as he should. Nbd.

« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2016, 07:53:59 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I don't understand the support for Sullinger. He is a fat man playing a game that demands fitness. He is getting by on raw natural talent that never improves. This is the same guy that manhandled his girlfriend. It's true that even his father throws Sully under the bus. It's all Sullinger's fault. If he has an eating disorder, then I'll recant that. Either way, whether he is fat because he has an illness or he is fat because he is a greedy pig, he is fat. Fat basketball players aren't worth much unless they are Shaq and even that story was bittersweet for Boston.

I concede I was wrong on Evan Turner. I will do no such thing with Jared Sullinger. I can't wait until he is off the team! I'll still root for him while he's a Celtic. His days in Boston seem numbered.

Sullinger is not good enough to be a long term piece who is untouchable unless you get a star back but he is valuable enough that only a moron would try to give him away for free just to be rid of him.  It's flawed Hinkie-ism to divide players into keepers and trash.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #40 on: February 07, 2016, 12:01:15 AM »

Offline DesertDweller

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 92
Sully's body language is terrible IMO.  Doesn't seem to pay attention when in the huddle, which I am sure others have noticed.  I saw this reaction last night and can't blame him for wanting to be out there, but at the same time your coach is there for a reason.  Too many question marks and concerns with Sully and his contract coming up.  Free Mickey!!!

I think Mickey is injured but I would love to see him in the mix!!!

« Reply #41 on: February 07, 2016, 12:42:20 AM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
Come on y'all lots of guys do this they all wanna play and never come out. That's unfair criticism sheesh
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #42 on: February 07, 2016, 01:33:06 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Nothing wrong with a guy being p---ed because he wants to contribute.

While I wish that Sully was more mature and was less prone to tantrums when angry, the inability to deal with frustration is very common and I'm not going to condemn him for it. Heck, we see lots of people on the forum who have difficulty handling frustration. It doesn't make the seditious and it doesn't make them bad people.

« Reply #43 on: February 07, 2016, 01:52:06 AM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
Nothing wrong with a guy being p---ed because he wants to contribute.

While I wish that Sully was more mature and was less prone to tantrums when angry, the inability to deal with frustration is very common and I'm not going to condemn him for it. Heck, we see lots of people on the forum who have difficulty handling frustration. It doesn't make the seditious and it doesn't make them bad people.

Nobody said it was wrong for wanting to contribute. What is wrong is standing there and doing exactly what Sully did.

He's lucky CBS is the coach. Most coaches would look at that and keep his lard caboose on the pine.

« Reply #44 on: February 07, 2016, 02:09:32 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
Interesting that Sully goes straight up to CBS after the ball goes out off LeBron.. an apology or a petition for return?
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.