Author Topic: Sullinger Questioning Brad's Substition?  (Read 3835 times)

Re: Sullinger Questioning Brad's Substition?
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2016, 12:20:16 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
One of the many reasons I dislike Sullinger. Trust your coach and do as he says. He subs you out, get off the floor and root for your team.

« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2016, 12:20:36 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
https://youtu.be/oCv3lRYbpw4?t=28

Turner shooting and 1 free throw. BS decides to sub Smart for Sullinger. Sullinger seems to disagree with the substitution based on his reaction. Did I get it right?

I would've disagreed as well, taking off your best rebounder in that situation off the floor for a guard is a very questionable decision. More than questionable, surprising.

But whatever.

I'll also point out that I've been of the believe that in those free-throw situations I've found that small players seem to cause havoc in the offensive glass, and that big guys have trouble boxing them out at times. I don't know if I'd taken our best rebounder off the game in that situation to accomplish that though. I mean,he had just come off a play where he grabbed an offensive rebound and assisting on Crowder's 3-pointer.

BUT I do think that the intention was for Smart to jump on Thompson, but he got subbed out for Mozgov. Once this occurred Brad called Smart back and gave him new instructions.

Everything worked out in the end. Sully was back in the floor for the last play and provided a good screen, so all's good.

Not a fan of body language in that situation in general, but at the same time I want someone who's upset of not being there at crucial moments in the game than someone who's complacent with it, particularly when it's merely a heat of the moment reaction.

« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2016, 12:40:22 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
It was to cause chaos by poking the rebound or going for the steal. Marcus did his job.

« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2016, 01:11:04 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372

Turner shooting and 1 free throw. BS decides to sub Smart for Sullinger. Sullinger seems to disagree with the substitution based on his reaction. Did I get it right?

Yes because Smart came in for him when we needed a rebound and Sully is by far the best rebounder on the team.

I don't think he realized that Smart was coming in (a) to foul and then (b) to be on the court if a 3 pointer was required.

I don't have a problem with that reaction.

The reaction to me looks like a complete lack of trust in his coach.

No way.  Sully is a competitor and his best skill - rebounding - was exactly what the team needed at that time.  Stevens know this too.  Nothing wrong with being p---ed in that situation.

« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2016, 01:20:03 PM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
Quit hating OP. He questions it because be wants to be in the game. That's not a bad thing

« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2016, 01:23:34 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
Smart got away with 2-3 fouls there (fine with it, offsets the LBJ factor). Not sure if they were intentional or not? I suspect no, since jumping on a dude's back seems to be the way to go these days...

In an interview with Smart after the game (I think on CSSNE, although I was switching back and forth to NBATV  and ESPN), he said he was put in to foul, but he said something weird about being told not to jump on anyone's back to do it, so when the ball was live, yah, I think he was intentionally trying to foul.

Anybody else see this interview? Maybe it will be on the re- telecast from 4-6 p.m. Today on CSSNE. I'm going to watch it again! What a finish!

« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2016, 01:26:13 PM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367
And then Smart makes a play that leads to our best victory of the season.

Sullinger got the ORB the play before and the assist on Crowder's 3 to put the game within reach.

People can't even enjoy a win without witch hunting. I'm sure Sullinger was confused he was being taken out for rebounding and defensive purposes when he's been told by Brad all year that he starts because of his rebounding and defense. There's nothing wrong with a player wanting to stay on the floor when he thinks he can help the team win.

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2016, 01:42:19 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Why is Sully's desire to be in at crunch time considered a bad thing?  Would it had been better if he was relieved that coach took him out with the game on the line?

It's as much of a bad thing as David Lee expressing a desire to play more.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2016, 01:43:00 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 378
Smart got away with 2-3 fouls there (fine with it, offsets the LBJ factor). Not sure if they were intentional or not? I suspect no, since jumping on a dude's back seems to be the way to go these days...

This is NOT true---I re-watched the play a few times on a 60" TV---it was actually Mozgov who got away with fouling Smart...

Mozgov went for the rebound, while grabbing Smart's right wrist with his own right hand---leaving only his left hand to grab the ball---the ball came loose--because Mozgov couldn't hold onto it with only one hand...Thus, the scramble for the ball--Off LeBron.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2016, 01:51:26 PM »

Online Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1649
And then Smart makes a play that leads to our best victory of the season.

Sullinger got the ORB the play before and the assist on Crowder's 3 to put the game within reach.

People can't even enjoy a win without witch hunting.  I'm sure Sullinger was confused he was being taken out for rebounding and defensive purposes when he's been told by Brad all year that he starts because of his rebounding and defense. There's nothing wrong with a player wanting to stay on the floor when he thinks he can help the team win.

This.

We just got our best win of the year.  Why look for somebody to be p---ed at?

« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2016, 02:16:58 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586

I would've disagreed as well, taking off your best rebounder in that situation off the floor for a guard is a very questionable decision. More than questionable, surprising.

Down 2, with 5 seconds left, you have an 85% free throw shooter (whose also having a pretty good game) at the line shooting 1.  Your strategy is to play for the rebound?

I think most coaches are playing for the make and going for a quick steal/foul off the inbounds pass.  Not a situation I would want Sullinger in.  Crowder, Smart, Bradley, Turner, Thomas are my guys every time in that scenario.  I feel like that's a pretty basic/normal strategy here.

When the C's needed to score, and the likelihood of a miss is much greater, Sullinger was right back in there though.

You know what though, every time Sullinger questions Stevens, it seems to turn out great for the C's.  Remember this play? https://streamable.com/s1zf  I now want Sullinger questioning Stevens all the time  ;)

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2016, 02:31:11 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Smart is a better defender and effort guy than Sully.  It was the right call.   Hopefully, in a few weeks and trade we won't be talking about Sully and he will be in our rear mirror.

It was a bad reaction, but these guys are competitive, even outshape guys like Jared.  I think he thought he was the best guy for us at that time.   CBS ended up right, but we should not make a mountain out of a mole hill.  Sully really sees himself as a hero, big time player although he could not be more wrong.   I think he really sees himself that way.

« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2016, 02:36:24 PM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367
Smart is a better defender and effort guy than Sully.  It was the right call.   Hopefully, in a few weeks and trade we won't be talking about Sully and he will be in our rear mirror.

It was a bad reaction, but these guys are competitive, even outshape guys like Jared.  I think he thought he was the best guy for us at that time.   CBS ended up right, but we should not make a mountain out of a mole hill.  Sully really sees himself as a hero, big time player although he could not be more wrong.   I think he really sees himself that way.

I pretty much agree with all of this. TP.

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2016, 02:38:41 PM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 215

I pretty much have been backing you on Sully for the last two years. But we do need his rebounding and inside positioning. You have to balance out Olynyk and Zeller's softness factor somehow and right now it's Sully. Gotta deal with the bad for the good.

So unless we get a guy like Horford in return for him, we prob gotta keep him for the rest of the year.

« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2016, 02:47:42 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be

Down 2, with 5 seconds left, you have an 85% free throw shooter (whose also having a pretty good game) at the line shooting 1.  Your strategy is to play for the rebound?

I think most coaches are playing for the make and going for a quick steal/foul off the inbounds pass.  Not a situation I would want Sullinger in.  Crowder, Smart, Bradley, Turner, Thomas are my guys every time in that scenario.  I feel like that's a pretty basic/normal strategy here.

When the C's needed to score, and the likelihood of a miss is much greater, Sullinger was right back in there though.

You know what though, every time Sullinger questions Stevens, it seems to turn out great for the C's.  Remember this play? https://streamable.com/s1zf  I now want Sullinger questioning Stevens all the time  ;)

Yeah, that's what I was saying earlier.  They didn't expect Turner to miss that FT.  This was done for the inbounds pass off the made bucket with plan B being to foul.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team