Author Topic: New Draft Express comparisons for Ben Simmons...fairly critical of Big Ben.  (Read 9910 times)

Re: New Draft Express comparisons for Ben Simmons...fairly critical of Big Ben.
« Reply #45 on: February 08, 2016, 07:37:22 PM »

Offline celticmania

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 39
Not a huge fan of Ben Simmons mostly because of his fit on certain teams including the Celtics.  I think he has to line up against 4s so that there are 3 guards on the court for floor spacing reasons but offensively has to play the point guard.  He has a great basketball body (just nitpicking but isn't super long). Has a strong frame and good athleticism. He can pass and handle at a high level. Is a very good rebounder and is good around the hoop.  I personally think his jumpshot is broken but others think it looks fine so i guess its an opinion thing as far as how his shot looks.  Non-shooters aren't in style in today's NBA. He definitely has to improve. I don't think he's a franchise. I just don't understand the hype. He doesn't dominate like he should and i know i know "thats not his play style... He's a facilitator.. Blah blah." Great players take over when their team is struggling to win games especially at the college level.  He is a unique player but that uniqueness doesn't mean he's a franchise player.  People need to start watching him play.

« Reply #46 on: February 08, 2016, 07:40:37 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
Don't love those comaprisons because they don't address how good his passing/ball handling are.  Although I see them otherwise.

I think he is unique.  His shooting makes him not LeBron like to me but he could still be a really great and unique PF if that's his calling.  He would be great on our team and well any frankly.  He just is not the player some think/want him to be.  He is very unique, IMO.

I do get the Odom comps but his skill in other areas make him much more interesting.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #47 on: February 08, 2016, 08:03:43 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
I don't understand this "he doesn't dominate" thing. He's averaging 19.4 ppg on 57% shooting.

Anthony Davis averaged only 14.2 ppg his year in college. Blake Griffin averaged 22.7 his sophomore year but only 14.7 as freshman. Chris Webber averaged 15.5 and then 19.2 his two seasons. And none of these guys were passers on the level that we're seeing from Simmons.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008