Author Topic: New Draft Express comparisons for Ben Simmons...fairly critical of Big Ben.  (Read 9907 times)

Re: New Draft Express comparisons for Ben Simmons...fairly critical of Big Ben.
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2016, 12:21:33 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
LeBron had (or has) a shooting stroke? News to me.

« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2016, 12:43:48 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I think he is Malone/Odom. Not meant to be a sf like Beasley or LeBron so I'd be okay with 17' shooting range and finishing strong.

« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2016, 01:18:36 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Reminds me of a taller more athletic Draymond Green.

« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2016, 01:22:41 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
You must have missed a few seasons.

« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2016, 01:36:46 PM »

Offline acieEarl

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 47
I hope he slips to 3 and he's there for us. I've watched him play a bunch of game now and the kid is real smooth. He doesn't rush anything, doesn't force shots. Seems like if he wanted to he could score a lot more. Plays within his team. With the kids high IQ, passing, and seems really athletic, he's going to be a good pro.

« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2016, 02:07:35 PM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343

Are you being contrarian just for kicks or what?
He's 34% career from three (and he's been about 37% for the last five years). The breakeven, statistically, for a player to earn the green light is about 32.5%

He's also been double teamed for his entire career.

« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2016, 02:12:59 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

Horrible, Lazy, incompetent comparison.

Beasley was a black hole Avg 1.2 assists per game.

There is no good comparison to Simmons. Not a great athlete? What games are they watching.

And I'm confident your not getting a 6'7" guy. The announcers were saying they were shocked at how big he is in real life.

You tell me if Coach Stevens could use a guy who will be a top 10 rebounder in the NBA, a top 10 athlete in the NBA among big men. He will avg 5 assists per game and is a tremendous passer. He can guard three positions and switch onto almost anyone.

He's even getting to the Free throw line 10 times a game.

The best comparison is Odom, Lamar went for

17.5 ppg 9.4 RPG 4 apg  .482%fg

Simmons

19.5ppg 12.5 RPG 5apt .564%fg

Both 6'10" and both Lefty. Simmons is by far the better athlete and his rebounding is world class.

« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2016, 02:15:51 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
He's 34% career from three (and he's been about 37% for the last five years). The breakeven, statistically, for a player to earn the green light is about 32.5%

He was not a great shooter as a rookie.   This post was about comparing rookies, perhaps you did not understand that or read the whole thread.  It really has nothing to do the improvement in his shot or the last five years.   It was about rookie LeBron to rookie Simmons.   Not been in the league 10+ years LeBron against incoming Ben Simmmons.

You can post all the stats in the world but yours are not in the same context as the OP.  Which makes them utterly irrelevant.

« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2016, 02:38:10 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441

He was not a great shooter as a rookie.   This post was about comparing rookies, perhaps you did not understand that or read the whole thread.  It really has nothing to do the improvement in his shot or the last five years.   It was about rookie LeBron to rookie Simmons.   Not been in the league 10+ years LeBron against incoming Ben Simmmons.

You can post all the stats in the world but yours are not in the same context as the OP.  Which makes them utterly irrelevant.
You must have skipped pearljammers post.  He said Lebron has never been a good shooter.

« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2016, 02:39:19 PM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343

If you've got a bee in your bonnet go take a walk. You just quoted me without including the pearljammer10 quote to which I was directly responding. Also, for what it's worth, the OP on this thread is chambers, who hasn't weighed in one way or the other about how well Lebron James could shoot it.

The argument goes "Hey, look, Lebron James-- like Ben Simmons-- wasn't a great shooter when he was a rookie. Based on that data point, maybe we shouldn't assume that shooting will be some kind of achilles heel that undoes Simmons' potential for greatness." Pearljammer10 wants to take things in some other direction by rejecting the premise that Lebron is or was ever a good shooter.

Which is obviously wrong and should be corrected.

So I corrected him.

« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2016, 02:45:54 PM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 215
I was yelling shoot it every time he had an open three.

Only thing he had going in that game last night was dropping his shoulder and driving for the left handed Layup

« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2016, 02:47:33 PM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo

There is no good comparison to Simmons. Not a great athlete? What games are they watching.

And I'm confident your not getting a 6'7" guy. The announcers were saying they were shocked at how big he is in real life.

You tell me if Coach Stevens could use a guy who will be a top 10 rebounder in the NBA, a top 10 athlete in the NBA among big men. He will avg 5 assists per game and is a tremendous passer. He can guard three positions and switch onto almost anyone.

Simmons

Both 6'10" and both Lefty. Simmons is by far the better athlete and his rebounding is world class.
I said this a few weeks back to triboy. He doesn't have lift like Lebron. He's also more of a finesse player. He's going to be a much different player than Lebron.

« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2016, 03:00:50 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664

Simmons

I said this a few weeks back to triboy. He doesn't have lift like Lebron. He's also more of a finesse player. He's going to be a much different player than Lebron.

Not many people have a lift like Lebron, but he does have a 41.5" vertical and is 2 inches taller.  He's a big guy who can run the point which where I think those comparisons come from.  We don't know what his game is going to look like in 2 or 3 years.  If he develops a decent outside shot, he's going to be a generational type of talent.  If not, he's still going to be very good.

« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2016, 03:03:10 PM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo

Simmons

Not many people have a lift like Lebron, but he does have a 41.5" vertical and is 2 inches taller.  He's a big guy who can run the point which where I think those comparisons come from.  We don't know what his game is going to look like in 2 or 3 years.  If he develops a decent outside shot, he's going to be a generational type of talent.  If not, he's still going to be very good.
I agree. You take him and build around him and Smart. It's a no brainer.

« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2016, 04:41:52 PM »

Offline Forza Juventus

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 70
I think Ben Simmons is going to be great. I'm confident he will at least become a average shooter. But I think early on he should be surrounded by shooters. I hope we miraculously win the lottery, assuming we don't trade the Brooklyn pick.
Azzurri | Juventus | Boston Celtics | Kentucky Basketball

"All the negativity that’s on Celticsblog sucks. I’ve been around when Kyrie Irving was criticized. I’ve been around when Al Horford was insulted. And it stinks. It makes the greatest team, greatest fans in the world, lousy."

Celticsblog=sports radio