Author Topic: New Draft Express comparisons for Ben Simmons...fairly critical of Big Ben.  (Read 9950 times)

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWuBjwG8PN0

-Seems to mainly compare to Griffin, Odom and most of all, Michael Beaseley.
-Has crushing size and passing vision, but lacks shooting stroke that guys like the above and Lebron all had at his age.
-Will be a beast in transition like Odom, has solid D instincts, but lacks the elite athleticism of guys like Griffin, Lebron and Odom.

Interesting watch.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
How does Simmons compare to Beasley?

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
I thought Beasley would be a good pro.  Somehow it seemed he was 6'10 in college and a dominating, skilled big man.  When he got to the NBA it turned out he was 6'7 and an unathletic SF.  I hope Simmons doesn't shrink like that.

DE still has Simmons as the number one pick, so I don't think they're too down on him.  It'll all depend on whether he develops a jump shot, which I think he will.

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
-Has crushing size and passing vision, but lacks shooting stroke that guys like the above and Lebron all had at his age.

Lebron was not a good shooter when he came into the league.

http://espn.go.com/nba/player/stats/_/id/1966/lebron-james

.42% from the field.  29% from the three point line.

What shooting stroke are you speaking of?

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372

Lebron is still not a good shooter and never has been.

Offline HomerSapien

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 43
I don't think athleticism in the pros will be a problem for Simmons. He's not Lebron, but who is? He's had a pro physique for like 3 years. His biggest challenge will be his lack of a jumper in his first 2 - 3 years in the NBA.

Also, I can't really tell how assertive he is yet. I've seen a few stretches in some LSU games I've watched where he is just kind of standing around, plays ”ohlay" defense, and is not impacting the game at all. I can't tell if it is bad coaching or his make-up.

In spite of his impressive skills there is a definite part of me that hopes we get the #2 pick so we don't have to decide to draft home #1. Lot of good NCAA time left to firm up opinion on him though.

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
So Simmons compares to Beasley in terms of:

(1) A lefty who can finish with his right hand in the lane
(2) heavily use jab left, go right drives

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
I don't think athleticism in the pros will be a problem for Simmons. He's not Lebron, but who is? He's had a pro physique for like 3 years. His biggest challenge will be his lack of a jumper in his first 2 - 3 years in the NBA.

Also, I can't really tell how assertive he is yet. I've seen a few stretches in some LSU games I've watched where he is just kind of standing around, plays ”ohlay" defense, and is not impacting the game at all. I can't tell if it is bad coaching or his make-up.

In spite of his impressive skills there is a definite part of me that hopes we get the #2 pick so we don't have to decide to draft home #1. Lot of good NCAA time left to firm up opinion on him though.

Lebron is NOT Lebron without HGH either!!!!!!  Get Ben on HGH for 5 to 7 years and he will be 260 pounds with 3% body fat too:-)))))))

Smitty77

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065

I know right? Shooting 60% from 2pt and 40% from 3pt over the course of an entire season is TRASH.

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1617
  • What a Pub Should Be
So Simmons compares to Beasley in terms of:

(1) A lefty who can finish with his right hand in the lane
(2) heavily use jab left, go right drives

Similar body types also.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

Re: New Draft Express comparisons for Ben Simmons...fairly critical of Big Ben.
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2016, 11:24:27 AM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261

I know right? Shooting 60% from 2pt and 40% from 3pt over the course of an entire season is TRASH.

You and your silly facts.  Don't you know this is the place for baseless rants?

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2016, 11:24:31 AM »

Offline Jonny CC

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 76
I don't care what they say, he would look great in GREEN
Before a game on Christmas against the Pacers, Bird told Chuck Person that he had a present for him. During the game, Bird shot a 3-pointer in front of Person. Immediately after releasing the ball, Bird said to Person, "Merry F!#*ing Christmas!" and then the shot went in.

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2016, 11:40:31 AM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343

You and your silly facts.  Don't you know this is the place for baseless rants?

I'm not interested in Simmons any more because player comps say he sucks like Lebron.

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2016, 11:45:27 AM »

Offline furball

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 95
Everyone wants to compare Ben to Lebron and other small forwards  and undersized power forwards.  I think the best comparison is an much more athletic Magic Johnson.  I think this kid is a point guard.  He even has said he wants to play the point.  Magic was a 6'9" pg.  I think that's what this kid is.  He wants to pass and distribute and run the team.  He isn't looking to take over games and throw in 40 points.  Also, like magic, he can't shoot.  Hopefully, if he some how ends up in Boston, he can learn to shoot the way Magic did. 

I think if the team that drafts him expects him to be more than this they are going to be extremely disappointed.  One of the biggest problems an athlete can have is expectations.  If you expect a guy to be something he's not, no matter how good he is, you are going to think he sucks.  Just ask Joe Thornton. 

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2016, 12:04:37 PM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343
Interesting that you see this as critical. The last bit about jump shooting is certainly critical, but don't fall for the fallacy of interpreting any and all comps to Michael Beasley as criticism.

Michael Beasley was a great prospect who did some things extremely well-- the same things in fact that he is being compared to Simmons for! He didn't succeed because he wasn't a team player and couldn't cope in general with the NBA level of play. It's great that Ben Simmons has skills reminiscent of what Beasley did well, as a powerful slasher and ambidextrous finisher. If Beasley had been able to protect the ball, share the ball, and generally deploy those skills judiciously, he could have been great.