Author Topic: Should Jared shoot more shots similar to LaMarcus Aldridge?  (Read 1154 times)

Should Jared shoot more shots similar to LaMarcus Aldridge?
« on: February 06, 2016, 08:10:41 AM »

Offline Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 150
Sully seems to be getting it on the offensive end. He  no longer takes five 3's a game and because of it he is a more effective scorer.

Last night he looked great taking the 7-10 foot fade-aways. Has me thinking why he doesn't do that more often. LaMarcus takes a similar corner shot, granted a little further from the basket, and is wildly successful. Maybe I'm off target, but I wonder if Sully could become a similar offensive threat by taking this corner shot more often? 

Re: Should Jared shoot more shots similar to LaMarcus Aldridge?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2016, 08:18:27 AM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
I agree that he needs to take more paint shots. He is very effective in there. I loved seeing him "take it" to Thompson last night. Even Zeller made Thompson look weak. One thing though is Sully needs to practice his free throw shooting. Those 2 misses late could have been very costly if we didn't pull it out. Anybody can practice free throws Sully. Come in an extra hour early  and JUST practice free throws!

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2016, 08:29:33 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
His shot selection is improving, which is nice, but he still has a little ways to go. Even though he had it 'going', he did take a couple of very questionable shots (early in the clock standing on the three point line and the air-ball sideline fadeaway come to mind). Sully still has so much potential, but banking on him to be anywhere near Aldridge would be a mistake at this point.

If we decide to re-sign him and if he comes into camp in very good shape, then we can start to make him more of a focal point of the offense, but right now I would say he is behind a number of others for shot attempts - especially in our 'pace and space' offense.

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2016, 08:43:52 AM »

Offline celts55

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 570
If that means being able to hit lay ups after getting a rebound, than yes, that wound be nice.

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2016, 09:16:02 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Not threes

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2016, 10:05:30 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I have said this since he got here.   It is a myth that he is a capable of being a stretch four.   

He has a nice mid-range, he often struggles against true length down low.

But do we really want him shooting much more at all  with that 42% FG shooting.   That is low for a PF.   Some of it is shot selection, but some of it is the fact that he is not a great shooter, struggles against length.

At times, it looks as if 6-7 Crowder is almost as tall as him.  I hope this is the area we upgrade in.   Sully would be fine guy off the bench, but is he a quality starter?

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2016, 10:09:26 AM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
Sully seems to be getting it on the offensive end. He  no longer takes five 3's a game and because of it he is a more effective scorer.

Last night he looked great taking the 7-10 foot fade-aways. Has me thinking why he doesn't do that more often. LaMarcus takes a similar corner shot, granted a little further from the basket, and is wildly successful. Maybe I'm off target, but I wonder if Sully could become a similar offensive threat by taking this corner shot more often?

Aldridge is also 3" taller and has a very high release, so he can get his shot off easily.  Everything Sully shoots seems contested.  If he's going to succeed in the NBA he'll need to improve his range, because he's not getting any taller, or more explosive.

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2016, 10:41:10 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Aldridge is also 3" taller and has a very high release, so he can get his shot off easily.  Everything Sully shoots seems contested.

I would wager, he can jump higher too.   I bet if you took Sullinger vertical at the combine and compared it to now, I bet it has went down due to the weight gain.

Looking back Aldridge can jump four inches higher max vertical when he can into the league.   You can bet he increased his by working out too.   We all know Sully is not a workout warrior.

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2016, 10:46:36 AM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
He needs to develop a more effective move to his left than "body up and shoot a fadeaway"