Author Topic: Woj: Kings very close to firing George Karl  (Read 8576 times)

Re: Woj: Kings very close to firing George Karl
« Reply #60 on: February 09, 2016, 06:37:33 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I base my argument off this because of the situation in Milwaukee, and before that in Detroit. Detroit was never a good team with Monroe. But the year he's gone, they're a serious candidate to make the playoffs. Similarly, the bucks were a beast last year, but with Monroe, they've regressed quite a bit. Makes me wonder whether players like Monroe and cousins are, in ways like rondo. Put up numbers but don't translate to wins, in fact, translate to losses. 

I don't think Monroe should be blamed for Milwaukee's situation this season.

The Bucks were 9-16 after the MCW trade last season. They are winning at a similar pace (.360 then to .384 this year) this season as post-MCW trade. Also, Jabari Parker is a huge net negative for them right now. One of the worst defensive forwards in the league playing big minutes and providing nowhere near enough offense to make up for it. So Ilyasova to J.Parker has been a big downgrade for Milwaukee this season. Milwaukee getting some poor play from bench players like OJ Mayo (and loss of Jared Dudley) as well.

I think Detroit improving was to be expected because Monroe & Drummond were such a bad fit together (both want to play within 10 feet of the rim, no spacing on offense + both centers on defense). Both of those guys were going to get a boost individually and their teams a boost as a collective by breaking up that duo. Detroit also improved by getting Marcus Morris and Ilyasova at forward. Stanley Johnson at backup SF. Continued development from KCP. And a full season of Reggie Jackson. Along with individual growth from Drummond who has made a big leap (now that Monroe is out of the way) too. So a much deeper team + better balance + Drummond & KCP improving.

« Reply #61 on: February 09, 2016, 06:51:03 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
So Cousins loves Rondo.  Rondo loves Karl.  There's already been hints that Rondo might go elsewhere this Summer.  Firing Karl probably makes that more likely.  Rondo leaving will upset Cousins.

Cousins does not love Karl. Winning also does not love Karl (or Rondo). Yet winning would presumably help Cousins feel better about SAC, no?
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #62 on: February 09, 2016, 08:17:02 AM »

Offline HomerSapien

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 43
I wonder if Milwaukee would consider calling Sac and offering Monroe, Jabari, and Rashad Vaughn for Cousins, Collison, and Maclemore.  That seems like the type of trade both GMs would be able to sell as a win to their fan bases.  Not sure if Boogie has any history with Kidd, but if he does, and it is good, that might be a move to try and shake things up for both teams.

« Reply #63 on: February 09, 2016, 09:49:58 AM »

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.
So Cousins loves Rondo.  Rondo loves Karl.  There's already been hints that Rondo might go elsewhere this Summer.  Firing Karl probably makes that more likely.  Rondo leaving will upset Cousins.
It would be funny if Rondo ended up the Nets.
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek

« Reply #64 on: February 09, 2016, 09:58:21 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I think Karl and the Kings must realize more and more, that character counts. When your two best players don't lead by example, others will certainly follow.

Unless you're referring to Rondo and Gay, I'm not sure that this is fair.  How is Cousins not leading by example?  He scores, he rebounds, he passes, and he's played really good defense on a team when nobody else outside of WCS does.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #65 on: February 09, 2016, 01:39:34 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
Marc Stein ‏@ESPNSteinLine 4m minutes ago

ESPN sources say that the Sacramento Kings, in a dramatic about-face, have decided to keep George Karl in place as coach.

Marc Stein ‏@ESPNSteinLine 2m minutes ago

The Kings scrapped plans to fire George Karl after lengthy meeting Tuesday in Philly between Karl and GM Vlade Divac, sources told ESPN

Hahahahahahah...... must be embarassing to be part of the Kings org. Except Rondo -- no one's happier than he is right now.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #66 on: February 09, 2016, 01:42:14 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I think it was on the Celtics broadcast against the Kings that they mentioned the Wolves are a possible landing spot for Rondo next year given his relationship with Kevin Garnett, but that seems strange given that Rubio is already there.

« Reply #67 on: February 09, 2016, 01:43:39 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
This is so stupid... "they will decide to fire him in a week or so" and crap like that.

Why don't you guys just, you know... fire him?

And now a reversal?

What a joke.

« Reply #68 on: February 09, 2016, 01:44:13 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
I think it was on the Celtics broadcast against the Kings that they mentioned the Wolves are a possible landing spot for Rondo next year given his relationship with Kevin Garnett, but that seems strange given that Rubio is already there.

You're correct. And I didn't get it either. Rondo, Rubio and LaVine? Uuuuummmmm
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #69 on: February 09, 2016, 02:16:15 PM »

Offline BDeCosta26

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 232

ESPN sources say that the Sacramento Kings, in a dramatic about-face, have decided to keep George Karl in place as coach.

The Kings scrapped plans to fire George Karl after lengthy meeting Tuesday in Philly between Karl and GM Vlade Divac, sources told ESPN

Hahahahahahah...... must be embarassing to be part of the Kings org. Except Rondo -- no one's happier than he is right now.

Whhhhaaaatttttt?!?!

That team has CLEARLY given up on him and tuned him out. After the rumors surfaced before the game against us, they had a chance to show him support by coming out and playing hard but they did almost the complete opposite. May as well have spat in Karl's face with the effort they gave in the 1st half. It's a disaster and it couldn't be more obvious.

Man, the Kings have gotta be right up there with the Nets in terms of real, true dysfunction. Maybe even worse than the Nets. I used to really want Boogie but I'm starting to rethink that now. Sacto might have permanently ruined Boogie's chances of becoming a true professional and elite star player.

And you gotta figure, if Karl stays than Boogie goes right? Because it's THEIR relationship that's behind this madness.

« Reply #70 on: February 09, 2016, 02:20:14 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
And you gotta figure, if Karl stays than Boogie goes right? Because it's THEIR relationship that's behind this madness.
Rondo's on a one-year deal and he liked playing with Cousins for some reason (birds of a feather...) -- so good luck keeping him.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #71 on: February 09, 2016, 02:23:05 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
This is so stupid... "they will decide to fire him in a week or so" and crap like that.

Why don't you guys just, you know... fire him?

And now a reversal?

What a joke.
You're talking about one of the two worst run franchises in the league (I'd say Charlotte is the other one).   It's incredibly stupid.  You're correct.  It undermines Karl's authority and basically encourages the players to give up on him. 

« Reply #72 on: February 09, 2016, 02:30:25 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Sounds like they were wanting Karl to walk out and quit on his own  .....thus relaxing the image on the ownership of the Kings.

Probably guessed the PR would be more damaging to the fan , etc by firing ...than keeping him and nit making playoffs.

Backfired ....Karl kept his cool and balked at the thought

Problem IS , the inevitable has just been put off .

« Reply #73 on: February 09, 2016, 02:36:09 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961

About Rondo......yes he maybe happy at some level.   But at another level ,  Rondo knows this is a dis functional place to be .  A place to pick up a nice check .  But is really no where land in terms of basketball and professional work place to be employed . 

You gotta think he no appreciates the Boston club more than ever.   Some of interviews it seemed all he could do not to compare the two organization ...

« Reply #74 on: February 09, 2016, 02:40:56 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas

About Rondo......yes he maybe happy at some level.   But at another level ,  Rondo knows this is a dis functional place to be .  A place to pick up a nice check .  But is really no where land in terms of basketball and professional work place to be employed . 

You gotta think he no appreciates the Boston club more than ever.   Some of interviews it seemed all he could do not to compare the two organization ...

I get that Rondo sees SAC as a pit-stop... which is exactly why he's happy. He can keep padding personal stats and playing less-than-zero defense under Karl, and face no consequences at all -- even if losing is the result of that plan -- until he signs elsewhere this summer.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)