Author Topic: Woj: Kings very close to firing George Karl  (Read 8575 times)

Re: Woj: Kings very close to firing George Karl
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2016, 04:17:44 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
At what point does DMC start demanding a trade from that ridiculous organization? They change both their coach and their basketball philosophy every year it seems, and I don't blame him for being  frustrated with the organization.

I can't see Karl lasting after what seems to be two sure clobberings at the hands of us and Cleveland.

Has there ever been a sports organization as dysfunctional as the Kings? I don't even think that the Nets are as bad as them.

If When Karl goes, Boogie will be placated for awhile and will not demand a trade until this summer at the earliest.

And, sadly, the Nets were better than them last night.

« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2016, 04:46:32 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
I mean, is it a real shock that a George Karl coached team doesn't play any defense?

Do you realize that Karl had a reputation as a defensive coach in Seattle, where he had his team in the top three in defensive rating for three out of a stretch of four seasons?

Payton, Schrempf, and Kemp were each strong defensively. Credit the GM on that one, and luck in the draft.

« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2016, 04:49:21 PM »

Offline Forza Juventus

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 70
lol this franchise never disappoints. I honestly think Sacramento has been the worst run franchise for a while now. They are very lucky Cousins fell into their lap. They are the worst at developing players. At least some franchises have the excuse of not having any more picks.
Azzurri | Juventus | Boston Celtics | Kentucky Basketball

"All the negativity that’s on Celticsblog sucks. I’ve been around when Kyrie Irving was criticized. I’ve been around when Al Horford was insulted. And it stinks. It makes the greatest team, greatest fans in the world, lousy."

Celticsblog=sports radio

« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2016, 05:02:52 PM »

Offline TA9

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 118
  • I Bleed Green
I thought Divac actually did a good job assembling the team last summer, which is why I'm actually surprised that they are playing so bad. Don't know if firing Karl is the answer to their problems though. They definitely need to up their defense to say the least.
Jack of all trades, master of none.

« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2016, 05:21:44 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
I thought Divac actually did a good job assembling the team last summer, which is why I'm actually surprised that they are playing so bad. Don't know if firing Karl is the answer to their problems though. They definitely need to up their defense to say the least.

He did on the talent side but chemistry is underrated, everyone doesn't have to like each other but everyone has to be willing to sacrifice for the common goal. It's hard to mix and match egos.
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2016, 06:13:33 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
honestly who wants to coach this dysfunctional team?

it's like a circus. 

Malone was the guy you should of kept.  He actually got the message through to Cousins (or somewhat)  and bc cousins was injured and the team started to lose,  you fire him?

The ownership sucks, GM sux, team sux. Dysfunctional. Almost as worse as the 76ers organization right now

« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2016, 06:14:25 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
SAC clearly picks Cousins over Karl, but this is still the time to strike.

Cousins for:
Sullinger, Young, Rozier, Lee, Zeller, Brooklyn 1st (2016), Dallas 1st (2016), Boston 1st (2018) + cash (why not)

Sacramento gets 3 young pieces (Young, Rozier, Dallas pick), top-5 pick in this draft, cap relief, Sully's RFA rights, and a future 1st.

This locker room right now can handle Cousins. Nobody in the east has an answer for a lineup with Thomas, Smart, Bradley, Crowder and Cousins... Johnson, Turner, Jerebko as the vets, KO as the bench scorer, Mickey as the 10th man. Cousins would destroy Cleveland on this team.

Going into the summer we'd have everyone except Turner and Jerebko under contract, with an option on Johnson.

Thomas / Smart / Bradley (guards)
Crowder / Turner / Jerebko (wings)
Cousins / Johnson / KO / Mickey (bigs)

« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2016, 06:28:04 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
I mean, is it a real shock that a George Karl coached team doesn't play any defense?

Do you realize that Karl had a reputation as a defensive coach in Seattle, where he had his team in the top three in defensive rating for three out of a stretch of four seasons?
That was over 20 years ago. Denver wasn't a great defensive team in his last stop. Sacramento certainly isn't a good defensive team now.

« Reply #38 on: February 07, 2016, 05:35:33 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
Every team that loses to Brooklyn should fire their coach.

That will teach them.

On a more serious note, chemistry was p bad in SAC anyway: Vlade just went after established FAs regardless of the team's needs.

Somehow, this strange mosaic of unwanted talent has performed p well so far. Karl is old and out of touch with modern NBA but he has managed to break a deal with Cousins. Just remember that after Cleveland, SAC has the most dysfunctional locker room in the league (Rondo and Cousins). So, altho he has not done much in terms of designing tactics, I give him credit for keeping the locker room under control. The fact that he has a long history in the NBA might also discourage players from being too disrespectful.

The real question is: if they fire Karl who will they get in the middle of season? Thibs is not going there, and pretty much everyone available is a bust (mark jackson, scott brooks). The only one who I'd be interested to see what he can do is Blatt, esp. given he is used to training teams with talent but no chemistry (most Euro teams are like that).

« Reply #39 on: February 07, 2016, 08:28:14 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
The real question is: if they fire Karl who will they get in the middle of season? Thibs is not going there, and pretty much everyone available is a bust (mark jackson, scott brooks). The only one who I'd be interested to see what he can do is Blatt, esp. given he is used to training teams with talent but no chemistry (most Euro teams are like that).

I'd like to see Mark Jackson get another shot. He did a lot of good things in GSW.

« Reply #40 on: February 07, 2016, 08:57:35 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

I'd like to see Mark Jackson get another shot. He did a lot of good things in GSW.

I'd like to see Cleveland hire Jackson just like Lebron wanted so that the Cavs don't win a title for the next few years.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #41 on: February 07, 2016, 09:39:52 AM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586

There's been reports all year that the Kings are going to pursue Calipari, and they think he'd be the perfect fit having coached Cousins and Cauley-Stein at Kentucky (and about 20+ other NBA players too).  So I wonder if they'll hold off signing any big name coach, and just leave some promoted assistant as an interim so they can make a serious run at Calipari this summer.

Whatever they do if they fire Karl this year, it means they'll be on their 9th coach in 10 years.  Cousins will have had 6 coaches in 6 years!

The Nets and Kings are both interested in Calipari, who has said it would take a 10yr/120m contract to leave Kentucky.  There could be a bidding war here, and with how rationale both the Kings and Nets ownership seems to be, things could get crazy.  Although I expect that billionaire Russian to outbid Sacramento.

And then when Calipari is ineviatbaly fired about 2-3 years into that contract, I wonder how many fired coaches with be on that teams's payroll.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #42 on: February 07, 2016, 09:46:04 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

I think he's been blacklisted around the league because of behind the scenes issues.

« Reply #43 on: February 08, 2016, 06:09:05 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
Every team that loses to Brooklyn should fire their coach.

That will teach them.
lol. TP

As for the Kings: Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline.! What a joke. Cousins is going to play for more coaches than anyone in league history before he's 30 and this team is going to wind up in Seattle afterall. When Cousins is firmly disgruntled, I'd take him and see if a better organization can get him on the right path.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #44 on: February 08, 2016, 06:12:36 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
Can we trade them Avery Bradley for their 2019 first rounder completely unprotected and a pick swap in 2020?  I want to keep these "Nets picks" rolling for as long as possible.