Author Topic: Woj: Kings very close to firing George Karl  (Read 8582 times)

Woj: Kings very close to firing George Karl
« on: February 06, 2016, 07:43:00 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sources--kings-strongly-weighing-the-firing-of-coach-george-karl-071844118.html

Sacramento Kings owner Vivek Ranadive and general manager Vlade Divac were so livid about a blowout defeat to the Brooklyn Nets on Friday night – the franchise’s sixth loss in seven games – they were strongly weighing the firing of coach George Karl, league sources told The Vertical.

“An overreaction to the loss” was how one league source involved in the conversations on Karl’s job status described the organization’s response late Friday night.

As hours passed following the 128-119 loss to the Nets, there were indications that Karl could be spared long enough to coach the Kings on Sunday in Boston. Nevertheless, Karl has rapidly lost support in management and some parts of the locker room, league sources told The Vertical.The loss to Brooklyn – one of the league’s worst teams at 13-38 – fostered further dissatisfaction with the Kings’ defensive performance under Karl this season. Karl, one of the most successful coaches in NBA history, was hired in mid-February a year ago, replacing interim coach Tyrone Corbin. The revolving door of Kings coaches has contributed to the franchise’s instability.

The Kings have dropped to 21-29, three and a half games out of the final playoff spot in the Western Conference. Ownership has an expectation that this team should make the playoffs. Kings star DeMarcus Cousins seemed to indicate that the team’s porous defense was a result of far more than the players’ effort and execution, implying that coaching played a significant role in the struggles.

"I'm not going to keep blaming these guys in the locker room," Cousins told reporters in the locker room. "Energy and effort is a huge part of the game, but I'm not going to keep blaming it on that. We got a bigger issue, and we need to figure it out as a team."

Ranadive made the decision to fire coach Michael Malone in December 2014 when the Kings had an 11-13 record and had been without star DeMarcus Cousins for several games. He pushed out general manager Pete D’Alessandro months later, replacing him with Divac.

Across several years of instability with the team, Ranadive has progressively lost the support and belief of the multiple minority owners involved in the franchise, league sources said.

Aaron Bruski ✔ @aaronbruski
Everybody I talk with is bracing for Karl to be let go. This story is moving quickly.
3:16 PM - 6 Feb 2016

Sactown Royalty @sactownroyalty
“I think i could come off this set and do a much better coaching job right now.” - @TheBobbyJackson NOT holding back on George Karl
1:39 PM - 6 Feb 2016
  118 118 Retweets   119 119 likes
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

Re: Woj: Kings very close to firing George Karl
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2016, 07:49:03 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Karl deserves to be fired. The team is underachieving. They shouldn't be 8 games under .500 squad. They have more talent than that. Sacramento's defensive numbers are a disgrace for the defensive talent that Karl has it his disposal there.

Karl should have been fired for his antics in the summer. I am amazed he has lasted this long. Heck, he never should have been hired in the first dang place. Wrong fit for squad. Always was. From Day One to Today. Wrong fit. 

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2016, 08:07:35 AM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
The defense has been bad, but Karl has been playing five guys on defense which Vivek can't be too happy about.  Time to fire yet another coach.  Divac can't have much time left either.  Vivek should just take over coaching and GM duties.  Afterall, he did coach some 12 year old girls to a victory once, so he's clearly qualified.

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2016, 08:11:21 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Karl deserves to be fired. The team is underachieving. They shouldn't be 8 games under .500 squad. They have more talent than that. Sacramento's defensive numbers are a disgrace for the defensive talent that Karl has it his disposal there.

Karl should have been fired for his antics in the summer. I am amazed he has lasted this long. Heck, he never should have been hired in the first dang place. Wrong fit for squad. Always was. From Day One to Today. Wrong fit.

I disagree that they are underachieving. Vidac threw together "talent," but did not think about in the modern NBA. As is, his "star" point guard can't be out on the court at the same time as WCS or Koufus.

Gay has never made a team better in his career.
Casspi might be the most important player on this team, after Cousins, because of his ability to stretch the floor. Omri Casspi.

This team is just not well constructed. Karl's offense relies on ball movement, but his point guard pounds the ball every time (sound familiar? That's why he didn't work with CBS or Carlisle either).

I mean, Karl does take some of the blame, but I think he realized last summer that his GM and owner were not on the same page about what it takes to build a winning team.

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2016, 08:15:12 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403

How many coaches do you fire before you recognize the problem is not your coach, but yourself? The only smart thing about firing Karl for the Kings is that they never should have hired him in the first place.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2016, 08:18:50 AM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
That team is weird as far as the talent they have on it. But they are screwed when your 2 best players Cousins and Rondo are complete Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline.s. Hard to coach a team with those 2 on it.

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2016, 08:19:12 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/kings/2016/02/06/george-karl-job-in-jeopardy-locker-room-tension-kings/79919658/

George Karl's job with Kings in jeopardy again?

George Karl is in trouble — again.

Less than two weeks after the Sacramento Kings’ five-game winning streak had them in position to make the playoffs for the first time in a decade, all the familiar signs of discontent returned after a 128-119 loss at the Brooklyn Nets and, for the second time this season, their head coach’s future is clearly being debated internally. The lackluster loss was the Kings’ sixth in the last seven games, dropping them 3½ games behind the eighth-place Portland Trail Blazers and prompting all sorts of curious comments from Kings players and former players alike.

First and foremost on that list? The epicenter of all things Kings, center DeMarcus Cousins.

"I’m not going to keep blaming these guys in the locker room," Cousins told reporters. "Energy and effort is a huge part of the game, but I’m not going to keep blaming it on that. We’ve got a bigger issue, and we need to figure it out as a team.

"I’d rather keep (the undescribed issue) in house, but we definitely have a bigger issue than just energy and effort. That can’t be the excuse every night. ... We’re going to work it out as a team, and hopefully we can fix this."

Former Kings point guard Bobby Jackson — whose former teammates, Kings general manager Vlade Divac and director of player personnel Peja Stojakovic, make up two-thirds of the team’s front office — called for Karl’s firing on the team’s telecast. When it was pointed out that Karl had been hired after the All-Star break last season, Jackson said, "It can be post All-Star break that he can leave too. There ain’t nothing wrong with it. It’s just the business."

In contrast to a Nov. 9 loss to the San Antonio Spurs that had Karl on the verge of being fired and was followed by a locker room dust-up in which Cousins cursed out his coach, this is a far less dramatic hoops crisis. From Karl’s league-high pace of play (102 possessions per 48 minutes) and the impact it has on their awful defense (22nd in the NBA; 105.7 points allowed per 100 possessions) to the continuing questions about his diminished energy level, the frustration sparked by the 64-year-old coach’s style continues to build. The defense has been even worse in this recent seven-game stretch, as the Kings have allowed 110.4 points allowed per 100 possessions.

The key question that Kings ownership and management has pondered for much of the season, however, is whether or not they’re willing to pay the price that would come with firing Karl or whether they could perhaps convince him to resign and agree to a buyout. When Karl was hired last February, he was given a $15 million deal through the summer of 2018 that included $11.5 million in guaranteed money.

Yet while former head coaches like Scott Brooks, Tom Thibodeau and Mark Jackson are known to have been on the Kings’ radar for quite some time and are currently available, firing Karl now would complicate the process of conducting a more thorough coaching search. The Kings play at the Boston Celtics on Sunday, at the Cleveland Cavaliers on Monday and at the Philadelphia 76ers on Wednesday before the All-Star break. Whether or not Karl makes it that long remains to be seen.

Follow Sam Amick on Twitter @sam_amick.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2016, 08:27:26 AM »

Offline Rhyso

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 37
They have way too many offensive players who can't play defense. Caspi, Bellineli, Collison and Rondo (who can but chooses not to) come to mind, and Cousins still gets frustrated easily and doesn't run back in transition. The Kings have looked near brilliant when they are on their game, and beyond atrotious when they are not. 

Karl needs to go IMO, his defensive schemes and fast paced offense style haven't translated to wins and have lost the locker room.

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2016, 08:44:15 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith

How many coaches do you fire before you recognize the problem is not your coach, but yourself? The only smart thing about firing Karl for the Kings is that they never should have hired him in the first place.

The owner is a problem but you can't really do anything about the owner.

Fix the problems you can fix = the coach.

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2016, 08:51:26 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403

And what's the solution?
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2016, 08:56:21 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith

And what's the solution?

Solution = can't fix owner. They can fix front office, coaches and players so fix those problems.

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2016, 08:59:38 AM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88
Rondo is on his mission to destroy another team for us
You bet no coach can establish respect by let your point guard being the actual coach, and furthermore joined by your biggest star
I am eager to see what happens if they hire a strong coach like Thib, it will be so much drama

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2016, 09:09:50 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Wow .....

It starts with the owner .....a rich dummy when it comes to basketball.

There can only be ONE Chief or ONE coach on a team .  Somebody has to be in charge .

The Kings are like dogs . 

They need to be on the Dog  Whisper  Show......to learn obedience to authority .

Rules , limitations , boundaries , parliamentary procedure ,  the WHOLE social order , and structure of working together

Needs to be RELEARNED.

The Kings is like a bunch of rich 12 year old spoiled kids turned loose at day camp.

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2016, 09:37:13 AM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
I watch them ever chance I get. The team defends about 5-6 seconds of the clock, and that's including Rondo and Cousins. Both are dying to get back on the other side of the ball and get some stats. The remainder of the team follow the leaders.

I think Thib would be a good coach for that team...god help him.

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2016, 09:38:43 AM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
WHO CARES?????

They lost to the Nets......as a Cs fan, I don't care what happens to that team now.....it was pretty clear from the moment that Karl took over that it was going to be either him or Boogie......and DMC means too much to that franchise for it to be him to get dumped.

Good riddance, Karl....you lost to the ****' NETS!!!! I hope we don't have a post-Cavs letdown and lay a can of whoop-arse on you.....love for it to be the coupe-de grace that ends your Kings career.

Soory for the rant...this Nets business has got a bad hold on me. >:( >:( >:(