Author Topic: Gallinari too similar to Jeff Green  (Read 1619 times)

Gallinari too similar to Jeff Green
« on: February 06, 2016, 06:47:34 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
Check out their output per 36 mins

FG % : DG .417/JG .439
3p%: DG .366/JG .340
TRB: DG 5.4/JG 5.5
Steals: DG 1/JG 0.9
Blocks: DG 0.6/ JG 0.7 etc

True, Gallinari's PER is better (16.4 as opposed to 13.3)

But point is we are talking of two players who bring very similar skills on the table.

Since JG has not been a good fit for Brad's systems, is it not a risk to trade for a player so similar? My guesstimate is that Danny is using DG for smokescreen purposes.

(I'm open to debate, please keep it civil)

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=1&p1=gallida01&p2=greenje02&p3=&p4=&p5=&p6=

Re: Gallinari too similar to Jeff Green
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2016, 06:50:02 AM »

Offline YoungOne87

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 65
I'm pretty sure Gallinaris true shooting percentage is way higher as he gets to the line twice as much as green...

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2016, 06:51:37 AM »

Offline YoungOne87

• Bill Walton
I'm pretty sure Gallinaris true shooting percentage is way higher as he gets to the line twice as much as green...

also we would trade for this years gallinari, not the career average gallinari..

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2016, 07:10:16 AM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219

also we would trade for this years gallinari, not the career average gallinari..

So, comparing this year's Gallo to 2014 Jeff Green...

We're talking about a paler Jeff Green who goes to the free throw line four extra times per game, and who...well, that seems to be the only significant difference statistically. And who...is also slightly better at making those free throws?
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2016, 07:16:16 AM »

Offline CroCorvus

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 41
Numbers wise maybe but overall I thing Gallo is better player then Jeff. He's got more fire in him to play this game and that's the biggest thing that bothered me with Jeff. He makes one play, one dunk or something that's really amazing,like wow what is this, and then he disappears for the rest of the game and the next three...

If I would have to compare someone on our team to Jeff Green it would be James Young. The potential is there but it doesn't work...

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2016, 10:43:41 AM »

Offline YoungOne87

• Bill Walton

So, comparing this year's Gallo to 2014 Jeff Green...

We're talking about a paler Jeff Green who goes to the free throw line four extra times per game, and who...well, that seems to be the only significant difference statistically. And who...is also slightly better at making those free throws?

well thats 4 more points and atleast 2 more fouls, I think that could be a huge difference

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2016, 09:59:32 AM »

Offline Al91

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 18
Many Celtics fans' gripe with Green was that he was inconsistent (of which I would argue he was consistently inconsistent ;)) and had those nights where he scored 50+ against the Heat and then he would go on a string of scoring something like 9, 12, 5 points over three of the next five.

Similarly, about a month ago I read how apparently one of his teammates (not named) had soured on Green in Memphis. Possibly called him out but I don't recall the entire report. At the time Green was playing poorly (a la Boston) and it got to the point where he and Courtney Lee were supposedly on the trading block.

More recently however, Green has had several 20+ scoring nights and appears to be in favor with Memphis.

What you really want to look at when comparing Green to Gallo is how consistently Gallo is putting up those 16+ points. Is it every night, more often than not? That's what we want. Someone who can be counted on for 15+ points a game.

For comparison's sake, look at AB. Shot the 3 horribly in January -- shooting what, 10% at one point? -- but we're one week into February and he's bounced back. That inconsistency however could have hurt the Celtics more in January. Thankfully it didn't.
Long-form is far from dead, but please refrain from paragraph-laden posts! Who wants to read that?!

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2016, 10:04:48 AM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
Many Celtics fans' gripe with Green was that he was inconsistent (of which I would argue he was consistently inconsistent ;)) and had those nights where he scored 50+ against the Heat and then he would go on a string of scoring something like 9, 12, 5 points over three of the next five.

Similarly, about a month ago I read how apparently one of his teammates (not named) had soured on Green in Memphis. Possibly called him out but I don't recall the entire report. At the time Green was playing poorly (a la Boston) and it got to the point where he and Courtney Lee were supposedly on the trading block.

More recently however, Green has had several 20+ scoring nights and appears to be in favor with Memphis.

What you really want to look at when comparing Green to Gallo is how consistently Gallo is putting up those 16+ points. Is it every night, more often than not? That's what we want. Someone who can be counted on for 15+ points a game.

For comparison's sake, look at AB. Shot the 3 horribly in January -- shooting what, 10% at one point? -- but we're one week into February and he's bounced back. That inconsistency however could have hurt the Celtics more in January. Thankfully it didn't.

Well, we did lose to the Lakers and the Nets.

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2016, 10:09:30 AM »

Offline Al91

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 18

Hurt more  ;) Though I do see your point, losses to team bottom teams like that hurts even worse considering how that negatively affects the value of that BKN pick. I had the displeasure of watching that Lakers game with family. I stopped around the third quarter since it was clearly going to be "one of those nights".

This is more February than January, but we could have been on a 10 game win streak with the win at CLE had we won in ORL. Losses against LAL, BKN, and especially ORL really do feel like two losses each to me. Those are just teams you can't lose again and we seemingly can't sweep ORL in a season-series in recent years, yet we've been man-handling the Wizards dating back to 14/15 even when our roster was in a super flux.
Long-form is far from dead, but please refrain from paragraph-laden posts! Who wants to read that?!

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2016, 10:27:08 AM »

Offline mahonedog88

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 119
The biggest issue with Jeff Green is his commitment and inner-fire towards the game.  We saw it here for multiple years with his inconsistency...20 points one night, 3 the next, then 17, then 8, then 25.

And if you read reports out of memphis, they're dealing with the exact same thing, except this time he actually has a teammate or two calling him out.  He's a bit of a dog out there.  Really unfortunate too, he was given a second chance on life, literally.  You'd hope he'd let that experience propel him into amazing things on the court, but unfortunately he's not that type of player.  He is who is he is, which is an athletic forward without a true position (small forward or power forward) that some nights just simply won't show up.

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2016, 10:36:36 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617

Those games are emblamatic of a improving team whose players are generally inclining toward their ceiling, or are already at peak production. I look forward to the next Toronto game.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2016, 11:12:06 AM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
Gallinari has never had a problem with wanting to use his talent. there is no similarity here.

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2016, 11:21:41 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Gallinari vs Green advanced metrics
TS% .576/.529
WS/48 .136/.076
BPM 1.2/-1.0
VORP 9.6/4.7
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2016, 11:39:18 AM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219
TS% .576/.529
WS/48 .136/.076
BPM 1.2/-1.0
VORP 9.6/4.7

...and the gap in those advanced stats is almost entirely due to Gallo's extra free throws, right? Gallinari does not do a single other thing significantly better than Green, right?
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2016, 11:45:06 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
TS% .576/.529
WS/48 .136/.076
BPM 1.2/-1.0
VORP 9.6/4.7

...and the gap in those advanced stats is almost entirely due to Gallo's extra free throws, right? Gallinari does not do a single other thing significantly better than Green, right?

45.4% of Gallinari's FGAs are threes vs 25.6% for Green.  Green takes more of his shots within 10 feet of the basket than Gallinari, leading him to be less efficient on offense.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference