Author Topic: Which individual players can David Lee + X number of picks get us?  (Read 3090 times)

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219
Forget for a moment trading anyone except for David Lee, and forget taking back anything except for one individual player who matches David Lee. Depending on the draft picks we combine with Lee, who are the best individual players we can get back? The answer is...almost anyone in the league, lol, if we offer Lee + every tradeable pick we have. But how about limiting it to halfway-plausible packages. Let's say the most we can give up is Lee + a maximum of one Nets 1st + two non-Nets 1sts + both early 2016 2nds + infinite other 2nds. And the minimum would be...I don't know, one 2020 Celtics 2nd.

Here are some players Lee's contract would match. (Players I think have zero chance of being traded right now are crossed out.) For any you really like, give a guesstimate of which combo of picks it might take to get them:

- Kemba Walker (Charlotte would have to move him for this thread's hypothetical maximum of the 2016 Nets 1st, two non-Nets 1sts, the Philly and Minny 2nds, and umpteen other 2nds, right? Not that we would ever want to do that)
- Nicolas Batum
- Al Jefferson
- Al Horford
- Paul Millsap (same as Kemba)
- Brook Lopez
- Jimmy Butler (totally unavailable...right?)
- Paul George (wait, if he's remotely-available, would this thread's hypothetical maximum offer cut it, or would another Nets 1st need to be added?
- Reggie Jackson (same as Kemba, I think)
- Kevin Love (would absolutely require a third team)
- Goran Dra...lol, jk
- Dwyane Wade (or...? Nah, **** him, lol)
- Khris Middleton
- Greg Monroe
- Robin Lopez
- Tobias Harris
- Nikola Vucevic
- Demarre Carroll
- Kyle Lowry (team is too committed to winning this year)
- Demar DeRozan (ditto)
- Nene Hilario
- Marcin Gortat
- John Wall (or might Washington contemplate making him available at the deadline, and then be tempted by this thread's maximum offer?)
- Wesley Matthews
- Chandler Parsons
- Danilo Gallinari
- Kenneth Faried
- any matching Warrior (they won't screw with a great thing)
- James Harden (...right?)
- DeAndre Jordan (or would the max here sway Doc?)
- Blake Griffin (!)
- Roy Hibbert
- Marc Gasol (!)
- Ricky Rubio
- Nikola Pekovic
- Eric Gordon
- Russell Westbrook
- Enes Kanter
- Serge Ibaka (...or would OKC listen?)
- Brandon Knight
- Eric Bledsoe
- Tyson Chandler
- DeMarcus Cousins (unclear if he's untouchable)
- Rudy Gay
- any matching Spur (same as Golden State)
- Gordon Hayward
- Derrick Favors
- Carl Landry
- any Trailblazer except probably Lillard
« Last Edit: February 06, 2016, 12:57:35 AM by Dino Pitino »
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

Re: Which individual players can David Lee + X number of picks get us?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2016, 12:53:08 AM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 378
Monroe....Bucks aint happy with him....although I think he would work out under Brad.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2016, 12:59:30 AM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
Monroe....Bucks aint happy with him....although I think he would work out under Brad.

Alright. Lee + which picks get him?

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2016, 01:00:08 AM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664

That's what I'm thinking too.  Would Lee, Sully, Celtics 1st rounder, and Dallas pick be enough to get it done?  Too much?

I could see him basically taking Sully's role and upgrading it. 

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2016, 01:23:35 AM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2237

That's what I'm thinking too.  Would Lee, Sully, Celtics 1st rounder, and Dallas pick be enough to get it done?  Too much?

I'm on the Greg Monroe train. Was a big fan of getting him this summer. He didn't even meet with us. I'm not sure that was his choice, because he decided on the Bucks already, or ours, because Brad didn't want him.
He's young, durable , an excellent rebounder and a big- time rim-runner. He's great north to south, not so much east to west, which hurts his lateral movement defensively.

I really like him and hope we get him.

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2016, 03:47:00 AM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 378
Don't think we need to give up Sully....The Bucks have Monroe signed to a 3 year deal...averaging app. $17 Mil...You could trade Lee/Young/Dallas2016/1 or 2 2nd round picks....Would let Milw OFF the hook for those remaining years---and give them a do-over next FA season...they get a Young player/and some picks.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2016, 04:26:31 AM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
Don't think we need to give up Sully....The Bucks have Monroe signed to a 3 year deal...averaging app. $17 Mil...You could trade Lee/Young/Dallas2016/1 or 2 2nd round picks....Would let Milw OFF the hook for those remaining years---and give them a do-over next FA season...they get a Young player/and some picks.

So for the purposes of this thread, Lee + Dallas 1st + Philly/Minny 2nd? Considering that long list of players we could get with Lee's contract and picks, is Monroe really the one you'd want to target?

What I'm getting at is that Lee's contract gives us a unique opportunity to add an impact player for the stretch run (and in some cases beyond) without sacrificing a single useful player or semi-decent prospect or iota of chemistry. To me, Monroe would be alright, but I think we should aim a little higher.

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2016, 05:02:24 AM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664

So for the purposes of this thread, Lee + Dallas 1st + Philly/Minny 2nd? Considering that long list of players we could get with Lee's contract and picks, is Monroe really the one you'd want to target?

What I'm getting at is that Lee's contract gives us a unique opportunity to add an impact player for the stretch run (and in some cases beyond) without sacrificing a single useful player or semi-decent prospect or iota of chemistry. To me, Monroe would be alright, but I think we should aim a little higher.

There are guys I would rather have than Monroe, but those guys would cost a Brooklyn pick and more or are not available.  Monroe is available and I don't think it would require a Brooklyn pick to get him.  I think he could fit well into Sully's role so that we wouldn't have to make major adjustments to how we play and we'd be replacing a guy who shoots 42% with a guy who shoots 52% and provides more length on defense.  I also think Monroe would look like a much better player playing on the Celtics than he has on the Bucks or the Pistons.

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2016, 05:32:32 AM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney

There are guys I would rather have than Monroe, but those guys would cost a Brooklyn pick and more or are not available.  Monroe is available and I don't think it would require a Brooklyn pick to get him.  I think he could fit well into Sully's role so that we wouldn't have to make major adjustments to how we play and we'd be replacing a guy who shoots 42% with a guy who shoots 52% and provides more length on defense.  I also think Monroe would look like a much better player playing on the Celtics than he has on the Bucks or the Pistons.

Good point about Monroe being the best player available for less than a Brooklyn 1st. Good point about him comfortably slotting into the Sully role but with better efficiency. Good point about him looking better here than elsewhere.

(Perhaps he'll even wind up among the league leaders in Defensive Rating like Sully, simply by playing with these teammates and for this coach. That's the reason why Sully is 5th in the league, right, several points better than his teammates? Or is that just an effect of Sully happening to be the leading rebounder on the league's 2nd best defense? Or are we underrating something peculiar about Sully's defensive impact, and risking a significant downgrade on defense?)

Tommy Point dispensed!

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2016, 07:12:46 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
TP for the work put in and a good topic.

How about Vucevic?

I'm not sure why the Magic aren't better than they are with the young talent they have, but I think of Vucevic as a very solid starting center, still only 25, and won't cost a king's ransom like for Cousin's.  I would even throw in the Nets pick this year if outside the top 2(would have to wait until draft night), our first, and a couple high seconds.  If Nets pick is in the top 2, maybe the Mavs pick(hopefully falling in late lottery), our first, a future non Nets first, and a couple seconds.  I'm not sure if the Magic would be enticed with a deal, but something to look into.

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2016, 07:24:36 AM »

Offline CroCorvus

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 41
Heard that Portland is looking to add salary (they must) so maybe we could do something with them,like Lee for a second rounder.

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2016, 09:16:07 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403

Alright. Lee + which picks get him?

Pass. Monroe is not going to significantly improve this team.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2016, 09:32:17 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Don't think we need to give up Sully....The Bucks have Monroe signed to a 3 year deal...averaging app. $17 Mil...You could trade Lee/Young/Dallas2016/1 or 2 2nd round picks...

I think a lot of folks would not mind seeing us let Sully go.   Count me in, but Monroe is not a good defender by any means folks.

This talk of giving up, is silly.   We know we have a guy who is a suspect shooter, with bad shot selection, who can rebound with anyone and is not professional enough to maximize his talents or stay at a proper body weight.   The kid has made choices, that have made him less effective.   I think it is time we upgraded the C position and it would be best not to build around a guy with has had a lot of health issues and it would help the team.

As I said in another thread, Sully gave up on maximizing his talent long before anyone here gave up on him.   He believed his own hype and did not work out like he should.   He probably shot threes all summer and now he can't hit a Free throw.

Lee+Sully and DAL 1st CEL 1st and 2 2nd rounders  ( we keep BRK pick)
for
Parker and Monroe.

Part of me wants to see what Mickey can do too.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2016, 09:38:08 AM by Celtics4ever »

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2016, 09:54:35 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=82247.0

By far the most likely deal to happen for Lee

Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2016, 10:17:19 AM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261

i'm with you on this.  Monroe is a good upgrade over Sully, playing a similar role.