Author Topic: How is media spinning the game?  (Read 1170 times)

How is media spinning the game?
« on: February 06, 2016, 12:17:13 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Cav collapse or Celtic heroics?

I am a firm believer that who ever controls the spin ultimately sets the narrative. In this day of the 24 hour news cycle spin has often become perception and as we know perception is reality.
That said it will be interesting to see what the sports media does with this win. If we are portrayed as a team that has arrived that may help with referee calls in games, and this goes a long way to sustaining wins. If on the other hand this is spun as a Cav collapse it may give Brad more bulletin board material to fuel the fighting spirit of the team.

Re: How is media spinning the game?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2016, 12:20:07 AM »

Offline Bucketgetter

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 11
Um, I don't think it really matters. You're probably looking into a little too much. Just enjoy the win..
CB Mock Deadline - Minnesota Timberwolves
Kemba Walker / Tyus Jones / Aaron Brooks
Jimmy Butler / Jamal Crawford / Treveon Graham
Rodney Hood / Nic Batum / Marcus Georges Hunt
Taj Gibson / Nemanja Bjelica / Jonas Jerebko
KAT / Derrick Favors / Cole Aldrich
Picks - 2018 CHA 1st (Lotto protected), none out

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2016, 12:27:25 AM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2155
Um, I don't think it really matters. You're probably looking into a little too much. Just enjoy the win..

This whole forum is dedicated to looking into the Celtics and/or pro basketball a little too much. National perception of the Celtics, especially after a big win like tonight, is solid topic for this forum.
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2016, 12:28:25 AM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2155

I am a firm believer that who ever controls the spin ultimately sets the narrative. In this day of the 24 hour news cycle spin has often become perception and as we know perception is reality.
That said it will be interesting to see what the sports media does with this win. If we are portrayed as a team that has arrived that may help with referee calls in games, and this goes a long way to sustaining wins. If on the other hand this is spun as a Cav collapse it may give Brad more bulletin board material to fuel the fighting spirit of the team.

I'm curious about this myself. Is Sportscenter still a show? Has anyone seen it tonight? What are they saying on NBA TV?
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2016, 12:33:31 AM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501

NBA Game Time was giving a lot of props to the Cs. Did note JR Smith's dumb ass play saying that when you have a history of DA plays, you shouldn't be on the floor at the end of games, But overall, the theme was that the Cs are way ahead of plan as far as rebuilding is concerned and then the question is what does DA do next because they're getting better month to month. Rick Fox was especially high on what the Cs are doing.

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2016, 01:12:16 AM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
Rick Fox was effusive about our Cs. They spent a good 3-4 full minutes on the Cs. Fox was especially insightful, sounding like us on here, debating with himself whether our Cs should make trades for a star at the deadline or to roll with what we have and the picks. He seemed to be leaning towards not messing with a good thing, but questioning whether some of our players could take the next step. He had a lot of respect for Stevens, IT, calling him an All-Star point guard , and raving about our depth.

It was nice to see the respect from a former C, even though that was long ago, I could almost feel the Cs pride. Good stuff.

They usually repeat stuff during the night,so check it out if you can.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2016, 01:17:46 AM by csfansince60s »

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2016, 03:19:00 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
It was a great win, but Cleveland lost love for crunch time so I don't see a big deal in their "collapse". Teams lose game, especially when they lose an important cog in the middle of the game.

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2016, 03:33:15 AM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
It was a great win, but Cleveland lost love for crunch time so I don't see a big deal in their "collapse". Teams lose game, especially when they lose an important cog in the middle of the game.

LOL. I agree about teams losing. Now, let's get real, they still had LEBRON FREAKIN JAMES and KYRIE FREAKING IRVING!! Get out of here! They went throughout nearly the entire playoffs without Love, he isn't all that important until the finals (they hope)! Our guys fought and outclassed the whiners! A team with LBJ and Kyrie healthy (hell LBJ alone) should never have an excuse for losing to these Celts.

This is only one reg. season game and it won't mean a thing in the end but it felt good and saying Love went down doesn't taint the win for me at all! Go Celts!
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2016, 06:12:40 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
From my amateurish observations over the years, you'll get a better Media take from NBA TV on BOS or any other NBA-Related issues.

ESPN - just from my observation - appears more Star-Driven. A game like last night? Even though it was a HUGE well-fought win by our team? ESPN can't fully project how big a win this was for BOS.

They will also take into account that KLove hurt himself again. I hope he's well.

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2016, 07:19:23 AM »

Offline CroCorvus

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 41
I agree with the initial post but the media can do this only for a while. They can't ignore you all the time. Also in this day and age, with the social media and all, people know and see thing so the main opinion makers have to be cautious.

So, yeah, if we keep up our good play they can't ignore us forever...