Author Topic: What potential buyout candidates will hurt our Nets pick?  (Read 1641 times)

What potential buyout candidates will hurt our Nets pick?
« on: February 05, 2016, 03:52:41 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
After the trade deadline historically is when players get bought out of their contracts. The teams try to use these players in trades, and when that fails, given certain circumstances, the team could buy the player out.

Unfortunately for us, the Nets seem like a logical place for many of these buyouts to land. Most will be looking to improve their value for their next contract. In Brooklyn, they will have an opportunity to play a lot (most likely even to start) and have the big-stage that is NYC for exposure.

We've all been following the Nets closely, even obsessively, and realize that almost ANY buyout players will improve that team and hurt OUR pick!

Am I worrying needlessly here? Anybody else concerned? I see David Lee as a likely Nets signee after his buyout. I don't like the guy for us in our current circumstances, but he will definitely improve them.

Who else is out there that could become buyouts and then potentially hurt us? Hibbert?, Jeff Green, Eric Gordon?

Re: What potential buyout candidates will hurt our Nets pick?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2016, 03:58:20 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Lee is an obvious one.  He's looking to land anywhere that can give him minutes and if the Nets trade Thad for Jennings, Lee can instantly get some. 

Not that he turns them into world beaters, but the Nets could add enough little talent the spoil the pick a bit.   

They don't need much talent to start swinging games in their favor.  Injuries left them very depleted.  Towards the end of the season, a lot of teams will be blatantly tanking... but not Brooklyn.

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2016, 04:11:27 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
I struggle to think of any player that was bought out and didn't go to a playoff contending team. In fact, it's usually title contenders.

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2016, 04:12:11 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas

........They don't need much talent to start swinging games in their favor.  Injuries left them very depleted.  Towards the end of the season, a lot of teams will be blatantly tanking... but not Brooklyn.

That is my concern. While other teams will be dumping players and games, they have no incentive to do either.

And, as you alluded to, they have been in many close games that they could've won.....any player they pick up will be an improvement on what they have and hence hurt us.

Hope we get to include Lee in any kind of trade (like to Portland so they can get to the salary floor, at the least or as salary match for a better player) so he doesn't go there. Hope no one else gets bought out. Not likely, though.

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2016, 04:17:07 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
I struggle to think of any player that was bought out and didn't go to a playoff contending team. In fact, it's usually title contenders.

I thinks that's usually what happens, but the Nets position is somewhat uniquely situated here.

They can offer guaranteed substantial playing time and likely starter time as well as the NYC exposure as well as a better than even chance of sticking next year with a talent-bereft team.

Hope you're right, but I'm a little concerned about it.

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2016, 04:18:09 PM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17
I am not sure how Vet minimum contracts work but, they are 20 million over the cap right now. My thought is they are stuck with what they have.

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2016, 04:18:25 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
Why would a buyout player go to a non-contender, much less a bottom feeder?
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2016, 04:22:52 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

I thinks that's usually what happens, but the Nets position is somewhat uniquely situated here.

They can offer guaranteed substantial playing time and likely starter time as well as the NYC exposure as well as a better than even chance of sticking next year with a talent-bereft team.

Hope you're right, but I'm a little concerned about it.
It's a unique situation, because whoever joins that team will get minutes simply because of how depleted that roster is.  Most bad teams go into tank mode and don't look to add cheap veterans.  Nets have no reason not to add some cheap veterans.  It's a win for them, because they start winning some games and maybe land players they'll consider re-signing this SUmmer... it's a win for the player, because guys getting bought out are either playing for a title or playing for their next contract.  In the case of David Lee, it makes little sense for him to go join some contender's bench.  He'll join a team that can give him minutes.  WIth minutes, I still believe Lee can get like 17 and 7.

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2016, 04:27:56 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
I am not sure how Vet minimum contracts work but, they are 20 million over the cap right now. My thought is they are stuck with what they have.

There was a lot of talk about buying out Joe Johnson. Him leaving would be addition by subtraction on the court, in my opinion, although I know others might feel differently.

Regarding your thought about the cap, I'm not a cap expert, especially regarding the impact on buyouts like Johnson and how much $$$ that frees up.

Does anybody know if by buying out Johnson, they can add other players? Do they need to buy out Johnson to add players via buyout?