Author Topic: Nuggets Pursuing Blake Griffin - Having Talks  (Read 13910 times)

Re: Nuggets Pursuing Blake Griffin - Having Talks
« Reply #90 on: February 05, 2016, 05:48:37 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
And this is kind of why it's hard to get overly excited about Boston's assets.  Yeah, we have a lot of picks and some decent role players, but if a team prefers established talent, there's a lot of ways to outbid our best offer.

Eh. There are not a lot of teams that'd rather have Gallo than a Top 3 pick in the draft. Or Faried over Smart or Olynyk. The Clippers just happen to be likely one of the few, considering Doc (the coach) has told his boss Doc (the GM) that he has zero interest in what happens with this franchise a couple of years down the road...

Gallo fits the Clippers needs.  If Doc really believes that they can perform well without Blake in the lineup, adding a big forward who can score anywhere on the court is exactly what puts the Clips in a place where they can sniff GSW, OKC, SA.  They need a player like that if they are gonna compete without Griffin.

« Reply #91 on: February 05, 2016, 05:59:13 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546
Griffin for Gallo, Harris, Jokic, Den/NY 2016 1st, Mem 2016 1st

That seems like the type of trade LA would be interested in i.e. a stretch 3/4, a young SG, and a young big man plus a couple of 1sts (likely in the lottery as Denver can swap with NY and one of those teams will likely end up in the lottery, especially if Blake can't play for awhile).  Other pieces could be added (like adding Stephenson and Hickson and taking out the Memphis 1st or something like that). 

There is no way LA moves Blake unless they get a real haul.  He is far too valuable, but that trade borderlines on a real haul.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #92 on: February 15, 2016, 10:41:44 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
According to "LegionNBA" on Twitter, who's attributing it to ESPN, the Clips offered Blake + Lance for Faried, Gallo, Barton, and Jokic.  Denver declined. 

https://twitter.com/MySportsLegion/status/699252372363743232

Don't know much about the Twitter user but he seems to be affiliated with a lot of major sports media, so it's not just some random guy.  So the speculation here was pretty close to the new rumor.

« Reply #93 on: February 15, 2016, 10:49:01 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
The only possible reason the Nuggets would turn this down is because Blake would probably leave them as soon as he could.

I doubt the clippers get a deal done before the deadline but I think there will be a bidding war in the offseason.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #94 on: February 15, 2016, 10:54:43 AM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
According to "LegionNBA" on Twitter, who's attributing it to ESPN, the Clips offered Blake + Lance for Faried, Gallo, Barton, and Jokic.  Denver declined. 

Don't know much about the Twitter user but he seems to be affiliated with a lot of major sports media, so it's not just some random guy.  So the speculation here was pretty close to the new rumor.

That puts a little damper on my hopes of being able to get Griffin.

Clips obviously are competing now, thus their wanting players to help with that and not picks.

To compete with that, we'd have to give up at least 2 members of our core:IT/Crowder/Bradley/Smart plus fillers and maybe picks.

If that's the cost, I'd  have to think long and hard about it.

I think the only way we get Griffin without giving up at least 2 of our core would be to involve a third team.

« Reply #95 on: February 15, 2016, 11:01:09 AM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
Griffin for Gallo, Harris, Jokic, Den/NY 2016 1st, Mem 2016 1st

That seems like the type of trade LA would be interested in i.e. a stretch 3/4, a young SG, and a young big man plus a couple of 1sts (likely in the lottery as Denver can swap with NY and one of those teams will likely end up in the lottery, especially if Blake can't play for awhile).  Other pieces could be added (like adding Stephenson and Hickson and taking out the Memphis 1st or something like that). 

There is no way LA moves Blake unless they get a real haul.  He is far too valuable, but that trade borderlines on a real haul.

I'd do this deal if I'm the Clips.  Prevailing wisdom is that you don't trade a quarter for 4 dimes, but the Warriors have shown how important a good bench is, and LA's bench right now is terrible.

« Reply #96 on: February 15, 2016, 11:06:17 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404

That is a pretty crappy return for Blake Griffin.

Hard to believe that rumour is actually true. That the Clippers made that offer.

« Reply #97 on: February 15, 2016, 11:59:29 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

Hard to believe that rumour is actually true. That the Clippers made that offer.

Well, if they're really talking with Denver, that'd be about as good as their offers could get, player-wise.  Blake can also opt out after next season which might bring the price down.  But assuming that this is accurate, I wonder if there was a Denver 1st in there somewhere too. 

« Reply #98 on: February 15, 2016, 12:09:20 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

Well, if they're really talking with Denver, that'd be about as good as their offers could get, player-wise.  Blake can also opt out after next season which might bring the price down.  But assuming that this is accurate, I wonder if there was a Denver 1st in there somewhere too.

Agreed, there has got to be some draft picks involved here, otherwise that's not a good return for Blake.

I think we can offer a better package than that for Blake. 2 first rounders, 2 2nd rounders, Jae, Sully, Lee's expiring comes off the top of my head, would still be a better return.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #99 on: February 15, 2016, 12:59:56 PM »

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.

Things are heating up. May not be a quiet trade deadline.
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek

« Reply #100 on: February 15, 2016, 01:29:39 PM »

Offline gamehead36

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 9

I'm guessing you haven't seen jokic play. Dude is an amazing offensive player at 20 years old, on a jordan mickey contract. And he isn't a slouch on defense, and has all the tools to improve. Can shoot the three (39%), and is already one of the best passing big men in the league.  He has a PER of 22 and is 4th in the league in real plus minus amongst centers. Trust me, go look at some of his highlights. I would actually trade the brooklyn pick for him. Especially considering that contract. Would fit perfectly in Brad Stevens offense.

The reason Denver declined is because they asked for jokic, IMO. They want to pair Blake with Jokic. Blake would have all of the spacing he needs, which is an issue the clippers have with him. Jokic can pass from the top of the key and space the floor for blake. That duo would be insane.

« Reply #101 on: February 15, 2016, 01:31:38 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2703

I'm guessing you haven't seen jokic play. Dude is an amazing offensive player at 20 years old, on a jordan mickey contract. And he isn't a slouch on defense, and has all the tools to improve. Can shoot the three (39%), and is already one of the best passing big men in the league.  He has a PER of 22 and is 4th in the league in real plus minus amongst centers. Trust me, go look at some of his highlights. I would actually trade the brooklyn pick for him. Especially considering that contract. Would fit perfectly in Brad Stevens offense.

The reason Denver declined is because they asked for jokic, IMO. They want to pair Blake with Jokic. Blake would have all of the spacing he needs, which is an issue the clippers with him. Jokic can pass from the top of the key and space the floor for blake. That duo would be insane.

Jokic is great, and Nurkic is also a stud, which is why Denver can afford to trade one of the two in such a deal.

« Reply #102 on: February 15, 2016, 01:36:37 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
It's some smart moves by both clubs in rumored negotiations. Be interesting to see final deal if it happens.

« Reply #103 on: February 15, 2016, 01:44:20 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
I really like Jokic even more than Nurkic. I can't believe he's 20. Faried, Gallo and Jokic isn't a bad package at all, especially if you're taking Lance.  Those 3 next to Chris Paul would be a delight to watch.  It's one of the few "quarters on the dollar" trade that sort of makes sense.

Also, TP to gamehead36 for writing what I was going to write.

« Reply #104 on: February 15, 2016, 02:11:09 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404

The reason Denver declined is because they asked for jokic, IMO. They want to pair Blake with Jokic. Blake would have all of the spacing he needs, which is an issue the clippers have with him. Jokic can pass from the top of the key and space the floor for blake. That duo would be insane.

Maybe I haven't seen him enough but I haven't been impressed by him when I have watched Denver play (not that often).

Skilled but passive offensive player. Can clearly shoot the ball but doesn't take many jump-shots. Relies a lot on cuts and hustle plays for baskets. Good rebounder. Good passer. Bad defender. Sub-par athlete.

Jokic is clearly a decent player but I do not understand why some are so high on him. He should improve some as he gets older but I do not see a high ceiling here.