Author Topic: Danny Ainge says he won’t be afraid to deal Brooklyn pick  (Read 4554 times)

Re: Danny Ainge says he won’t be afraid to deal Brooklyn pick
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2016, 12:44:40 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
“Sure. The Brooklyn pick could be had for the right person,” Ainge noted. “It’€™s going to be a costly price, as it would be for some of our best players. Look, we’€™re not looking to trade the Brooklyn pick, but at the same time, I could certainly see some things that we would do for the Brooklyn pick. And they wouldn’€™t be taking risks.

“We value [the Brooklyn pick]. Even the chance, even a small chance to get a very talented player is worth [keeping the pick] because you have some chance. And you can’€™t just give up a chance to get a really good player unless [it’s] for another really good player.”

Ainge added, “It would have to be, certainly, a very good player. And also it probably wouldn’t be someone in their 30s. That would have to be a good young player because again, even if we had a 5 percent or a 10 percent or a 15 percent chance at one of the top picks in the draft, that’€™s worth keeping.”

http://greenstreet.weei.com/sports/boston/basketball/celtics/2016/02/05/danny-ainge-says-he-wont-be-afraid-to-deal-brooklyn-pick/

So, for Anthony Davis, Steph Curry, Karl-Anthony Towns... maybe Kevin Durant (just because he's an expiring).

In other words, for no one who is available.

Or for both Rudy Gobert & Gordon Hayward

Good luck with that.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2016, 12:49:47 PM »

Offline BDeCosta26

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 232
Basically, a top 20 player under 30.  Safe to say that's not happening.

Ainge postures. He's probably negotiating with Utah for Favors and / or Hayward right now, and he's looking to reduce what else he gives up.

Maybe for Favors and Hayward if there isn't a whole lot else involved. But not for one or the other. That pick is almost guaranteed to be at least top 5, quite possibly top 3. It's one of the most valuable picks in the league at a time where the value of cost-controlled rookie contracts will continue to grow.

We once traded #5 for Ray Allen and Baby Davis. I just can't see a scenario where Ainge trades that pick, especially at the deadline, for a guy like Favors, Hayward, Gallo or Howard. Even Horford. Just too much potential value to trade away for guys like that. If you add Hayward to this team, does it make them potential title contenders in the next 2-3 years? Because if we trade the Brooklyn pick, that's what DA's gonna want in return.

« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2016, 05:50:30 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
When he was talking about the importance of relationships and how he could only get the KG deal with McHale being his friend and dealmaker, it made me think he was targeting Doc Rivers with that line.

If Blake is on the block, we have an enormous chest of useful stuff for them.
They'd want our Brooklyn pick and Crowder, and probably Olynyk.
But Blake's a top 10 player when healthy, and was a top 3 player in the 2015 playoffs.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2016, 06:50:13 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 238
I think he would trade it if it puts us in position to win championships and are good deals for the celtics. It's hard to list players because every situation is different although i agree. I think there is some leeway on that pick as well though. It's no different than Ainge saying he would trade anyone.  These are just Dannyisms.  I  honestly think Ainge would be stupid to trade anyone but he just isn't going to limit himself in any deal.

In ways this is just more advertising on his part and just letting GM's know he is open to talks.

I think there's a better chance the Brooklyn pick is moved than Marcus Smart I'll say that.

Ainge would deal the nets pick for Dwight howard though, if it was part of a package where we deal other picks for Kevin Durant though.  That probably wouldn't make sense and wouldnt happen.  But Ainge just isn't limiting himself in that regard.

I agree the Nets pick should be reserved for someone really special.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 07:09:11 PM by walker834 »

« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2016, 07:12:24 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
DeMarcus Cousins
Blake Griffin
Paul George
Jimmy Butler

Those guys seem like the possible targets to me between now and draft day.
Probably draft day.

« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2016, 07:16:39 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
DeMarcus Cousins
Blake Griffin
Paul George
Jimmy Butler

Those guys seem like the possible targets to me between now and draft day.
Probably draft day.
I think Kevin Love is another one

« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2016, 07:31:09 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
I think Danny has his reservations on Cousins.  But other than that I agree.  The question to me is should we trade it for Cousins vs a hope we got a top 2 pick. Because the value of it could go down. I would probably but that one I'd have to think about. There are some good players this draft. Simmons, and other players aren't going to lose their value. The pick is an asset regardless.

« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2016, 07:33:44 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
When he was talking about the importance of relationships and how he could only get the KG deal with McHale being his friend and dealmaker, it made me think he was targeting Doc Rivers with that line.

He said that in this interview? If so, I'll find that incredibly validating. Also gives plenty of reason to be bleak about the future as well, though.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2016, 08:13:44 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Westbrook, Cousins, Lowry, Leonard, James, Butler, George, Wiggins, I'd add them all to the list I'd trade the pick for.  Still not a lot of names out there though.

I'm thinking Derozan is probably on that list. 

He's from memory around 26 years old, and at 23/4/4 (and with decent defensive ability) he's a legitimate Jimmy Butler-lite. 

His lack out outside shooting concerns me a bit, but if Toronto offered him for the Nets pick and filler I'd have to very seriously consider it. 

He's one of the few wings in the league that I could consider a significant upgrade over Crowder, and who might potentially be available with the right offer...though I think it would take a lot with the way the Raptors are playing right now, to pry him away.

“Sure. The Brooklyn pick could be had for the right person,” Ainge noted. “It’€™s going to be a costly price, as it would be for some of our best players. Look, we’€™re not looking to trade the Brooklyn pick, but at the same time, I could certainly see some things that we would do for the Brooklyn pick. And they wouldn’€™t be taking risks.

“We value [the Brooklyn pick]. Even the chance, even a small chance to get a very talented player is worth [keeping the pick] because you have some chance. And you can’€™t just give up a chance to get a really good player unless [it’s] for another really good player.”

Ainge added, “It would have to be, certainly, a very good player. And also it probably wouldn’t be someone in their 30s. That would have to be a good young player because again, even if we had a 5 percent or a 10 percent or a 15 percent chance at one of the top picks in the draft, that’€™s worth keeping.”

http://greenstreet.weei.com/sports/boston/basketball/celtics/2016/02/05/danny-ainge-says-he-wont-be-afraid-to-deal-brooklyn-pick/

So, for Anthony Davis, Steph Curry, Karl-Anthony Towns... maybe Kevin Durant (just because he's an expiring).

In other words, for no one who is available.

Or for both Rudy Gobert & Gordon Hayward

If Utah offers me Gobert and Hayward for the Brooklyn pick, I'd hang up the phone.

I'm not a huge fan of Hayward (I think he's massively overrated) and Gobert is ultimately just a overglorified role player (albeit, a veryy good one).

Favors and Hayward might be more intriguing due to Favour's upside, but I'm not even sure if that is intriguing enough for me to give up a pick with superstar potential. 

Honestly, I think I'd pass.  A future Brooklyn pick sure, but for the 2016 pick, no.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 08:22:16 PM by crimson_stallion »

« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2016, 08:29:03 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
How about KO , AB and 2018 pick for Lopez

« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2016, 08:29:36 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo

No way.   I am high on Bradley and KO and not a fan of Lopez.  He plays no defense.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 08:35:26 PM by walker834 »

« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2016, 08:41:26 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875

No.

Actually, No.

Had to put that in bold to truly reflect my feelings on it.   I would stab myself in the heart with a rusty nail before I would give up any Brooklyn picks, or any player with a potential future here, for Lopez. 

Make it David Lee and the Boston 2016 pick and I'll think about it.

« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2016, 08:45:27 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
I don't want lopez period and will take that a step further. He doesn't fit here.  We have enough no defense bigs as it is. I guess the whole asset thing can be argued.  He can help us in some ways blah, blah.  But i'll take the cap space.

David Lee didn't work here and neither will Lopez. He'd end up an albatross until we can trade him. Could be totally wrong. Ainge could turn him into Isaiah Thomas for all I know.   i was wrong about him too.

For KO though?  no.  We have KO already that's the difference and I am high on him. Even paired with KO it's just wrong.  We have Isaiah and Rozier but the difference is one of them isn't playing at all.

« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 08:55:44 PM by walker834 »

« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2016, 08:50:32 PM »

Offline CroCorvus

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 41

No. No. No. Why? No.

« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2016, 09:05:40 PM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219

No, no, no.

Not for any one of the components.
Not for any two of them.
No way for the combo.

Good god, NO.

"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.