Author Topic: Smart is on track to becoming Gary Payton  (Read 4649 times)

Re: Smart is on track to becoming Gary Payton
« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2016, 07:56:34 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
I posted this on another Smart thread, I think his rookie season.

He is a hybrid of Alvin Robertons and Dwayne Wade.

« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2016, 04:35:04 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
Gary Payton is a 47% career shooter. That is all.

True. But coach has him jacking three's for his long term development. If Payton were shooting 4 3 point attempts per game, his FG% would have really suffered
Poor Gary Payton, how did he ever develop when his coach never had him jacking up threes.

... by the way, Payton has 4 seasons with 4+ three attempts per game. His overall shooting percentage in those? 48, 45, 43, 45.

Marcus Smart will never be as good as Gary Payton, and that's ok.

Stylistically on the offensive end Payton and Smart are nothing alike, but let's objectively look at Payton's development here. The dude was a bad offensive player his first two seasons in the league. He had a 47-48% TS through his first two years which is about where Smart has been thus far. The biggest difference is that Payton came into the league two years after Smart did. Payton was shooting a 48% TS at the age of 23 in the NBA. That's not good at all. He didn't become a good offensive player until his 4th year at the age of 25, and he didn't become an efficient offensive player until the age of 26. That's when he hit his stride and proceeded to make 8-9 all star teams. He really only had 4-5 years of really good, efficient basketball, and that was between ages 26-30. Don't get me wrong, though, he was still a really good playmaker and amazing defender between ages 31-34, but he probably would have been better off taking a few less shots at that point in his career..

So yeah, very different styles, but in the sense that Smart will take time to develop his particular style, I see the OP's point. Same could be said about guys like Billups and Lowry. Sometimes players take a lot of time to develop their offensive games. I think Smart has the will and work ethic that those three players had. He will figure it out in his own way just like they did.

Tempering my expectations for his offensive game, I see Smart as a 13-15/5/5 player in his prime with all first team defense; however, I wouldn't put it past him to develop into a 17-20 PPG guy one day. He has a lot to work with and a very good work ethic.

TP Dark, That's all I was saying. It took Payton time. A lot of time. Smart's so young.

« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2016, 04:40:42 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 359
I think we have to take a step back and remember he is only 21 and is going to continue to grow as a player. he looks alot better now than he did a year ago, and he should look better next year than he did this year.

all I keep thinking back to is when fans here were clamoring for avery bradley to be cut because he was "trash" and now he is hitting game winners against the Cavs.

these are guys who mostly still havent hit their primes yet.

« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2016, 12:42:56 AM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 238
Marcus to me is a great athlete.  He'd make a great football player or linebacker or runningback. He's built like jim brown who is one of the greatest athletes of all time.

A lot of people don't really see that because he isn't a great leaper or with this great first step but there are different kind's of athletes.

The sky is really the limit for him.  He needs to decide what kind of player he wants to be. 

« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2016, 01:37:29 AM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 215
I posted this on another Smart thread, I think his rookie season.

He is a hybrid of Alvin Robertons and Dwayne Wade.
Smart will never be Dwayne Wade. Wade was one of the best finishers at the rim.

Incase you forgot here's a video to remind you.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=q_pYKkPZwFg

He also had one of the best looking jumpshots in the game for 6-8 years.

Smart will never have Wade's lift or smooth shooting form. He certainly can still be a scorer. And he's smart enough to be crafty around the rim to make up for his lack of lift. But his game will be much different than Wade.

« Reply #35 on: February 07, 2016, 01:59:27 AM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134
Who was the better defender of the two after two years of NBA experience ? Is it Smart ?

« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2016, 02:10:17 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

I think it's tough to say one guy was better than the other on Defense. Let's call it a draw.

« Reply #37 on: February 07, 2016, 06:48:23 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Just use your eyeballs.
My eyeballs are telling me that Smart has zero offensive game other than launching up threes and hoping some of them stick. Also, looking on how he has zero offensive game is telling me that it's going to be very hard for him to develop one down the road. We're looking at Tony Allen with a less atrocious three-point shot here, folks, not Chauncey Billups or Gary Payton.

I think that's just being unfair. He's obviously improved his pick and roll play, especially as the ball handler. Considering that he's 21 years old and has barely played 80 NBA games, it's a complete cop out to throw him under the bus as a slightly better shooting Tony Allen.

There are solid foundations there on offense. His passing, his timing, his anticipation.
To ignore his excellent court vision and some of the amazing passes he makes seems like you've got an agenda against him.
I'm assuming you didn't like the pick and still don't?

Nothing personal but I really think it's a huge over reaction to say he'll never be more than a not so horrid shooting Tony Allen.

Some passing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hV_aNQV1heE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f11VgvAbBqQ

He hasn't had much opportunity, but he's solid in the post vs other guards, and as earlier mentioned, his pick and roll ball handling is really improving- it's only going to get better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGo-SnJnURU

Tony Allen couldn't dream of executing the dribble and floating/pull up jumper @ 1 min 7 seconds:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCw7FEtj0OI

His triple double 3 weeks ago; if you didn't catch it during the game, check out his sweet control as the BH in the pick and pop with KO at 4 min 18 seconds:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkyLZ5n5I2I

Tony Allen has never had a triple double by the way.
In fact he hasn't even had 10 double doubles.

Smart is, and will be, the far better player. We don't know what his ceiling is yet because he's only just scratched the surface and once our guard log jam is cleared up Stevens will give him even more freedom.

Just wait till he gets a summer of pick and roll/ball handling practice in this offseason.
In his second season he's in the running (as an underdog) for all defensive NBA honors and his impact on the floor is enormously positive on both ends.

Dude is special.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #38 on: February 07, 2016, 08:31:18 AM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
Just use your eyeballs.
My eyeballs are telling me that Smart has zero offensive game other than launching up threes and hoping some of them stick. Also, looking on how he has zero offensive game is telling me that it's going to be very hard for him to develop one down the road. We're looking at Tony Allen with a less atrocious three-point shot here, folks, not Chauncey Billups or Gary Payton.
Tomy Allen was already  23 as a rookie  and even at 28 had about twice the turnovers and half the assists per 36 as Marcus has at 21.  You do remember cringing every time  TA handled the ball right?    TAs offensive game had some flash but nowhere near as developed as Smart's at 21. 

« Reply #39 on: February 07, 2016, 09:09:07 AM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
I see DWade