Author Topic: Celtics (29-22) at Cavaliers (35-13) Game #52 2/5/16  (Read 63756 times)

Re: Celtics (29-22) at Cavaliers (35-13) Game #52 2/5/16
« Reply #840 on: February 06, 2016, 12:28:53 AM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
lol, a lot of us eating crow. But that was wild. We are a flawed team, but they have fight in them, that shouldnt be doubted anymore

How true this statement is.  Just reading all the posts when clev was up 4 with less than :20 to play, there was such venom even though we had played the team with the best record in the East super close all game. Totally uncalled for that some here can't even appreciate overall team effort.  Everyone has bad games, it's almost impossible to be perfect 82 games a season.  Then the Bradley shot and all of a sudden they went from scrubs to heros...smh.

No, it's still frustrating.  Frustrating that we needed Avery to hit a huge (and unlikely) shot to save us from a deficit that we really shouldn't have been in.

I don't care that Cleveland are the best team in the east - that's irrelevant to me.  Fact is that we were down because of stupid plays that could have been avoided.

Turner taking a three in the clutch, when the game is on the line, should not happen.

Jared Sullinger (at career 74% free throw shooter) bricking two free throws with the game on the line should not happen.  It shows his head wasn't in it and he wasn't focussed, and I'd forgive it as a fluke if not for the fact that he constantly does bonehead stuff at the end of close games.

Tyler Zeller making a softie foul against Lebron (a guy famous for his ability to finish with contact) when the game is on the line should not happen. Either foul properly or don't foul at all.

This is all a case of poor late game execution, something which has plagued us so much this season.  That's why we have the 6th best point differential in the NBA, but only the equal 8th best record.  Because our guys fight hard (no complaint there) but have a tendency to lose their mind and make avoidable stupid plays at the end of games.   

Today the stars aligned and we got lucky.  Smart got the huge rebound without getting a foul, Thomas made the pass in traffic without getting it stolen, and Bradley made a huge, huge shot.  All of that was 50% effort and 50% luck.

If not for some of the earlier bonehead plays, we should have been up by 4 (instead of down) and shouldn't have had needed to bank on luck.

But alas, we won a game we needed to win, against a good team that we needed to beat, and that's big.  This was a huge statement game, and a major moral victory because it puts us in Cleveland's head for the next time we play them.  This sends out a statement to the Cavs that "those guys can beat us" which is important if we face them in the Playoffs.

So yeah, totally proud of the guys for playing hard, but it's just disappointing that we have such a common tendency to blow leads at the end of games.  Being able to execute at the end of games is a key thing for playoff teams - that's why in the big 3 era, we were always a better team than our record suggested.  Because we were beast in the clutch.

TP. Sums up my feelings pretty well.

In the last 3 minutes of this game, the Cs made several mistakes, many of which are the type they've made many times this season in late-game situations. They've gotta stop doing those things, or at least minimize them.

But they had some good fortune tonight, and I'm happy about that. And yes, this team has heart, which is great.

I shouldn't have to show you teams like the spurs or mia (w/ LBJ) doing some dumb things that would cost games in the last minutes IN THE NBA FINALS! Ish happens! The important thing is that we kept fighting and found a way to pull out the win!

Of course the guys want to close better and they will work hard to improve but they are a very young team with no real star players (IT4 is very good though), it's a tough game! They could have lost Love and Kyrie and would still beat our entire teams talent with LBJ alone (yuck)!

WE WORKED OUR ASSES OFF!! GO CELTS!!!

It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #841 on: February 06, 2016, 01:08:53 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427

« Reply #842 on: February 06, 2016, 03:55:24 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386