Author Topic: Shakeup coming in MIL?  (Read 19459 times)

Re: Shakeup coming in MIL?
« Reply #105 on: February 06, 2016, 02:40:02 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
I don't see Greg Monroe as much of an upgrade over our other power forwards.

You don't think Monroe is an upgrade over Sullinger?  I only watch Monroe play a handful of times a year so I'm curious to what others think.  To me, he's a clear upgrade over Sully.  He's been on some dysfunctional teams and he's consistently averaged 16/10 on 50% shooting.  Sully may be his equal as a rebounder, but he doesn't score nearly as efficiently.  He's probably not a huge upgrade over Sully defensively, but he gives us more size (vertically) and that's been a problem for us.

I suppose you could say Monroe is overpaid, but that won't really be the case with the salary cap exploding.  Trading for him will prevent us from signing two max guys this summer, but is that realistic any way?  Sully is a restricted free agent this summer and that worries me on multiple levels.  I have no idea what he's going to command from other teams and there's no way I would want to offer him a big contract.  We're going to need a strong rebounding big if Sully leaves, so why not get one now that might help us win a few more games this season.

« Reply #106 on: February 06, 2016, 04:21:54 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I don't see Greg Monroe as much of an upgrade over our other power forwards.

You don't think Monroe is an upgrade over Sullinger?  I only watch Monroe play a handful of times a year so I'm curious to what others think.  To me, he's a clear upgrade over Sully.  He's been on some dysfunctional teams and he's consistently averaged 16/10 on 50% shooting.  Sully may be his equal as a rebounder, but he doesn't score nearly as efficiently.  He's probably not a huge upgrade over Sully defensively, but he gives us more size (vertically) and that's been a problem for us.

I suppose you could say Monroe is overpaid, but that won't really be the case with the salary cap exploding.  Trading for him will prevent us from signing two max guys this summer, but is that realistic any way?  Sully is a restricted free agent this summer and that worries me on multiple levels.  I have no idea what he's going to command from other teams and there's no way I would want to offer him a big contract.  We're going to need a strong rebounding big if Sully leaves, so why not get one now that might help us win a few more games this season.

It's likely that he is a significant downgrade over Sullinger defensively, despite being a few inches taller.

85+% of his shots come from within ten feet of the basket in an era where pounding the ball inside and posting up is a relatively inefficient possession.

The Celtics would probably be better off with someone like Zaza Pachulia than Greg Monroe.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #107 on: February 07, 2016, 12:56:56 AM »

Offline jay

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 50
Henson to me would be a great center for this team.  He signed a 4 year, 44 million extension. His contract would fit well with IT, Crowder, and Bradley. Another contract that doesn't break the bank. Gives room to give Olynyk nice extension.  Gives team flexibility.

Lee, Sullinger, Turner, Young and a pick for Henson, and 3 expiring contracts of Mayo, Vasquez, and Bayless. Have to add in contracts on both sides to make the poison pill not mess is up. Works on Trade Checker.

« Reply #108 on: March 09, 2016, 10:43:58 PM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 215
Now that Parker is getting healthy and averaging over 20 a game over the last 15 or so games, does anyone change their mind on his value?

I still say two nets picks or a nets pick and Smart would get the Bucks talking.

But I doubt they take that offer now.

« Reply #109 on: March 09, 2016, 10:46:06 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
Has he gained a three point shot and learned how to play defense?

« Reply #110 on: March 09, 2016, 10:53:43 PM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
Has he gained a three point shot and learned how to play defense?
He's a good enough shooter that he most likely will add a three point shot to his game. He has made some lately.

« Reply #111 on: March 09, 2016, 11:14:09 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Greg Monroe is a center and he's an upgrade over any bigs we have right now.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #112 on: March 09, 2016, 11:42:30 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Never liked Monroe. He always seemed the type of player that gave up as much as he got. He never seemed to be the guy willing to put in the extra effort to sacrifice his game for the better good of the team. He never seemed to me to be the type of player that made others around him better. All in all, a net negative team player.

Thing is, I think that Milwaukee team is filled with those types of players. The parts on that team says they should be much better than they are. Is that a coaching problem or do they have a bunch of players who's whole is much, much less than the sum of its parts?

« Reply #113 on: March 09, 2016, 11:53:00 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
Never liked Monroe. He always seemed the type of player that gave up as much as he got. He never seemed to be the guy willing to put in the extra effort to sacrifice his game for the better good of the team. He never seemed to me to be the type of player that made others around him better. All in all, a net negative team player.

Thing is, I think that Milwaukee team is filled with those types of players. The parts on that team says they should be much better than they are. Is that a coaching problem or do they have a bunch of players who's whole is much, much less than the sum of its parts?

I find their team terribly constructed.  Well really, they went for this "all forwards" idea which could have merit but to make it work you need a really top level PG.  If they had Chris Paul or John Wall or something they could make it work.  As is they run such ugly offense and it feels like many guys drift in and out of the game without seeing the ball consistently or in the right spots.

As far as Monroe, I think he has his strengths for sure but I do not like his defense at all.  Not interested.

I would trade for Parker because I think that team is a terrible situation for him, in the way I outlined above.  On our team I think he gets fed the ball with spacing and with a defined role.  He would do much better.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #114 on: March 09, 2016, 11:58:04 PM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo

lack of depth and no point guard will hurt most teams.

« Reply #115 on: March 10, 2016, 12:35:46 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Now that Parker is getting healthy and averaging over 20 a game over the last 15 or so games, does anyone change their mind on his value?

I still say two nets picks or a nets pick and Smart would get the Bucks talking.

Yeah he's starting to show his potential. Not sure why so many were quick to write him off. 

That 2014 draft class is a slow burn.  I still think exum and embiid will have careers as well.

« Reply #116 on: March 10, 2016, 12:40:01 AM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo

Yeah he's starting to show his potential. Not sure why so many were quick to write him off. 

That 2014 draft class is a slow burn.  I still think exum and embiid will have careers as well.
I agree. Exum looked pretty good in SL before he got injured. Extremely quick with a nice handle.

« Reply #117 on: March 10, 2016, 12:45:16 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I think it would be extremely short-sighted of them to break up Giannis and Jabari.  They seem to be finding a rhythm together and they'll only get better.  Keep letting the Freak develop into a primary ball handler and playmaker.  Start giving Parker his turns as well.  Khris Middleton's shooting provides a nice complement.

Not sure that Moose and MCW should be part of the long-term plans. 

If they are patient, they could have a special duo in Parker and Antetokounmpo.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #118 on: March 10, 2016, 12:48:08 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469

Exum might have a nice career, but I don't think he'll ever come close to living up to the hype that surrounded him when he first came out from Down Under.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #119 on: March 10, 2016, 12:54:36 AM »

Offline slightly biased bias fan

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 310
If I was Milwaukee I'd trade Monroe, MCW for what ever you could get and sign Dwight in free agency, for me it'd be the perfect fit, a young team who doesn't use a traditional 4 and is an athletic team with no ball hogs and likes fast paced basketball. Personally I'd get someone more experience than Kidd as HC and find a three point shooting, pass first point guard and they would be an instant top 4 team in the East.

Howard
Parker
Giannis
(3 & D guy)
Pass first Point Guard

Middleton
Bayliss