Author Topic: Shakeup coming in MIL?  (Read 19554 times)

Re: Shakeup coming in MIL?
« Reply #45 on: February 04, 2016, 04:16:45 PM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 215
I would love to trade for Jabari but it would take a lot

Why? What evidence is there at all that he's going to be a good professional basketball player?

Really. He's a one dimensional player who's marginal at that dimension.

The notion of the BKLN pick plus Smart is laughable. I can understand the Bucks wanting to keep him considering they invested the 2nd pick in the draft on him, but the guy is overrated due to that fact.

Nope I don't buy it. You're either trolling or just feeling silly. He's has a crazy complete offensive game for his age that pretty decisively outclassed the rest of the NCAA in an extremely strong draft year. Now at age 20 with less than a season's worth of games under his belt, his performance at the NBA level would put him right in league with a young Lebron James or Carmelo Anthony. You are taking the conventional wisdom about Parker's defensive weakness to an illogical extreme.
It is rather silly.

Parker's trade value starts with either Smart and a Nets pick or two Nets picks, with one being the 2016, if you want to keep Smart.

« Reply #46 on: February 04, 2016, 04:20:59 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

Why? What evidence is there at all that he's going to be a good professional basketball player?

The notion of the BKLN pick plus Smart is laughable. I can understand the Bucks wanting to keep him considering they invested the 2nd pick in the draft on him, but the guy is overrated due to that fact.

Nope I don't buy it. You're either trolling or just feeling silly. He's has a crazy complete offensive game for his age that pretty decisively outclassed the rest of the NCAA in an extremely strong draft year. Now at age 20 with less than a season's worth of games under his belt, his performance at the NBA level would put him right in league with a young Lebron James or Carmelo Anthony. You are taking the conventional wisdom about Parker's defensive weakness to an illogical extreme.

Um... http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=1&y1=2005&p1=anthoca01&y2=2005&p2=jamesle01&y3=2016&p3=parkeja01&p4=&p5=&p6=

I guess he shoots better than they did, though at a much lower volume and closer to the rim.  Otherwise, I don't see it.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 04:28:24 PM by foulweatherfan »

« Reply #47 on: February 04, 2016, 04:22:56 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403

You and I obviously see a very different guy on Bucks league pass. He's a below average passer and rebounder, he's shooting 0% from 3 point range (not a typo), he's averaging a rockin' 11 PPG on a bad team.... oh yeah, and his defense blows. He's 93 out of 95 eligible PFs in RPM.

LeBron James? Not exactly. Carmelo Anthony? Ummm...
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #48 on: February 04, 2016, 04:26:06 PM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219
TWO NETS PICKS? FOR PARKER? WUT?

Looks like some people base their judgment of player value too much on where a player was drafted. If so, there's a recent 2nd overall pick on our roster who started his NBA career just as well as Parker, better actually. What's Evan Turner worth, three Nets picks?
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #49 on: February 04, 2016, 04:27:18 PM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343

You and I obviously see a very different guy on Bucks league pass. He's a below average passer and rebounder, he's shooting 0% from 3 point range (not a typo), he's averaging a rockin' 11 PPG on a bad team.... oh yeah, and his defense blows. He's 93 out of 95 eligible PFs in RPM.

Did you have league pass back when Lebron and Melo were 20?

« Reply #50 on: February 04, 2016, 04:28:31 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

He's coming off an ACL tear and I think the fit is bad. Last year prior to his injury he was the obvious choice for ROY.

He still has a very very high ceiling.

I'd probably trade the #3 pick in this draft for him.

Unless Bender Brown or someone really breaks out towards the draft.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #51 on: February 04, 2016, 04:33:19 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

Looks like some people base their judgment of player value too much on where a player was drafted. If so, there's a recent 2nd overall pick on our roster who started his NBA career just as well as Parker, better actually. What's Evan Turner worth, three Nets picks?
Evan turner came out of college 3 years older, was not as good as Parker to start his career, and halfway through his second season still would have had a lot of trade value.

That being said 2 Brooklyn picks is far too much.

I
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #52 on: February 04, 2016, 04:34:51 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas

He's coming off an ACL tear and I think the fit is bad. Last year prior to his injury he was the obvious choice for ROY.

He still has a very very high ceiling.

I'd probably trade the #3 pick in this draft for him.

Unless Bender Brown or someone really breaks out towards the draft.

Good for you. Just don't GM my team.

"Parker has the speed to blow by any opposing power forward off the dribble, but it's hard to blow by someone standing 10 feet in front of you. Slower guys can wait for Parker in the paint, challenge him at the rim, and watch him fling up ugly floaters in a crowd." ~Zach Lowe

I'm no Marcus Smart homer, but he's a significantly better NBA player than Parker right now -- period.

Maybe he'll find a better... fit. Maybe he'll learn to shoot. Maybe he'll get better defensively. But I'm not betting Smart AND any of the BKLN picks on that. It's just bad business.

He's basically Derrick Williams with more pedigree cuz he went to Duke. Pass. Trade for Middleton instead.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #53 on: February 04, 2016, 04:37:23 PM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343

Um... http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=1&y1=2005&p1=anthoca01&y2=2005&p2=jamesle01&y3=2016&p3=parkeja01&p4=&p5=&p6=

I guess he shoots better than they did, though at a much lower volume and closer to the rim.  Otherwise, I don't see it.

That's ok, but after 70 career nba games, a more fair comparison would be http://bkref.com/tiny/vts7k. You can obviously poke some holes in the comparison either way, but I'd like to contrast it for a moment with the assertion that Parker hasn't shown any reason for us to think he'll be a good NBA player!!!

« Reply #54 on: February 04, 2016, 04:37:23 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033

He has his flaws, but you have to take some of this in context.

He's 0-7 on threes. Kind of misleading to throw out the "ZERO PERCENT!". He's shooting 49% FG and 80% FT.

Straight out of college at age 19, he was good enough to put up 12 and 6 with reasonable efficiency.

Last month he was at 13 and 6, with 53% FG.

He's coming off a serious injury, being asked to play PF and be the 4th option on a team that is a mess.

Is he a franchise player? The jury is out, and I wouldn't do Smart + BKN by any means. But let's no pretend like we've already got a bust on our hands.

« Reply #55 on: February 04, 2016, 04:49:45 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I'm pretty much with sspence on this.  Some of the trade proposals in this thread would have seemed much better prior to actually watching Parker play in the NBA.  He has a reputation that exceeds what he has shown so far.  He will improve and probably have a long productive career but he doesn't look like a future allstar so far.  I don't think I would trade Smart straight up for him at this point in time.

« Reply #56 on: February 04, 2016, 04:55:22 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969

You asked the exact question I was thinking..... I ve missed lots of Bucks games ,  I'm nota follower , but other than chants from wishful followers and believers .....I've just seen no highlites , box scores , nothing to show he is anywhere near the level some people think.  Right now he looks a lot like a bust considering where he was drafted.  I rather trade out for a true big . Like Noel.

I'm not  giving smart up for him now .   Maybe Wiggins or such . He has already been damaged by ACL......anybody heard of Derick Rose.

I think Parker is huge gamble , don't trade pieces that already work and are the teams backbone.

Frankly I would not swap Mickey for Parker .   Mickey has all his athletic skills at full force . MParker still looks lame to me .....he is not the same jumper he was at Duke.

« Reply #57 on: February 04, 2016, 04:56:07 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas

He has his flaws, but you have to take some of this in context.

He's 0-7 on threes. Kind of misleading to throw out the "ZERO PERCENT!". He's shooting 49% FG and 80% FT.

Straight out of college at age 19, he was good enough to put up 12 and 6 with reasonable efficiency.

Last month he was at 13 and 6, with 53% FG.

He's coming off a serious injury, being asked to play PF and be the 4th option on a team that is a mess.

Is he a franchise player? The jury is out, and I wouldn't do Smart + BKN by any means. But let's no pretend like we've already got a bust on our hands.

The jury is not out.

A 'franchise player" (of which there are about 10 in the NBA) can typically do many of, if not all of, the following: shoot from distance (kiiiiiiiinda important in today's NBA), pass, rebound, defend. Parker's not good at any of them.

Comparing him to LeBron or Carmelo is absurd -- it stinks of blind Duke fandom. He's not even close to being the best player on his own (bad) team. And for those who keep talking about "context" regarding his knee injury... why should that make me want to trade for him?

So, I'll state again clearly and unequivocally that Smart + a BKLN pick would be a miserable deal for the Cs.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #58 on: February 04, 2016, 04:57:54 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
Like some have said, Parker/Ant/Middleton is a log jam of redundancy. Ant might be able to play SF in a few years, but not right now, and Parker is much better suited at the SF spot.

If DA could make a move and get Parker at some miracle, I'd love to see him make a second move to bring in PP to teach Parker how to play. Same style of game, Parker just needs the right teacher to break out. 

« Reply #59 on: February 04, 2016, 04:58:10 PM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219

Evan turner came out of college 3 years older, was not as good as Parker to start his career, and halfway through his second season still would have had a lot of trade value.

That being said 2 Brooklyn picks is far too much.

I

Turner didn't start his NBA career with a knee injury, and he was productive in the playoffs right away. But okay, you're right, he was older and less efficient. And yep, around the same point in his career he could've fetched a lot in a trade. And the team getting him back would've been making a huge mistake. Just like a team giving up a Nets 1st (let alone two of them!) for Parker would be making. He is the definition of a one-dimensional player, and that dimension doesn't even include three pointers. Heck, at least Turner could do a decent point guard impression.
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.