Author Topic: Shakeup coming in MIL?  (Read 19557 times)

Re: Shakeup coming in MIL?
« Reply #135 on: March 11, 2016, 12:55:15 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
my gut feeling is that Monroe thrives if he is placed in Sullys current role.

Do you think he thrives if he is limited to taking the number of shots that Sullinger takes?

I don't get this question.

Jared Sullinger is averaging 14.9 FGA Per 36 Minutes, and that's the lowest he's averaged in three years.

Monroe is averaging 14.9 FGA Per 36 Minutes this year, and that is a career high.

Sullinger actually takes MORE shots than Monroe ever has, which is one of the things about him that frustrates me so much.  He takes far too many shots for somebody who as inefficient as he is.

Monroe's ability to put up very nice scoring numbers without needing a lot of touches one of the things I love most about his game.

OK, let's rephrase that.  Would Monroe thrive if he took the same number of shots that Sullinger takes from Monroe's range, with shots outside of Monroe's range taken by Sullinger being distributed to other players?
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #136 on: March 11, 2016, 12:19:46 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Now that Parker is getting healthy and averaging over 20 a game over the last 15 or so games, does anyone change their mind on his value?

I still say two nets picks or a nets pick and Smart would get the Bucks talking.

But I doubt they take that offer now.
Yeah he's starting to show his potential. Not sure why so many were quick to write him off. 

That 2014 draft class is a slow burn.  I still think exum and embiid will have careers as well.

Exum might have a nice career, but I don't think he'll ever come close to living up to the hype that surrounded him when he first came out from Down Under.
It's interesting, because Exum is the only player in history to make the leap directly from a foreign high school to the pros and by mid-season his defense was so sensational he earned himself a starting role.  His offensive aggression wasn't there, but folks that watched him said he had an unusually high IQ and feel for the game.  He's still slotted in as their starter.  I'd buy stock in Exum.  If you remember the pre-LeBron days, typically guys who jumped from high school to the pros took a couple years.  That's what made LeBron so otherworldly.  Even phenom prospects like KG and Kobe were pretty irrelevant as rookies.

All fair points.  I think he'll be pretty good, just not perennial all star level good. 

Like you say, he seems to have a nice feel for the game, but I didn't see the kind of explosiveness from him in his rookie year that had many pegging him as the "next Penny Hardaway."

Add the fact that he doesn't seem like much of a shooter or a naturally aggressive scorer, and I see "solid role player" more than "transcendent superstar."
I'm just saying Exum had a pretty steep learning curve and was starting to show aggression this summer while playing for Austrailia and his lone Summer league game.  I think he might show that potential eventually.  I think it's too early to write him off as a star prospect.

The top of that 2014 Draft is interesting and still has lots of long term potential. 

Wiggins - Looks like a future star
Parker - Looks like a future star
Embiid - Still think he might end up being special
Gordon - Starting to come on strong
Exum - Still think he has hope
Smart - Still has untapped potential
Randle - Has looked pretty good as a rookie this year

« Reply #137 on: March 11, 2016, 12:30:01 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
Now that Parker is getting healthy and averaging over 20 a game over the last 15 or so games, does anyone change their mind on his value?

I still say two nets picks or a nets pick and Smart would get the Bucks talking.

Yeah he's starting to show his potential. Not sure why so many were quick to write him off. 

That 2014 draft class is a slow burn.  I still think exum and embiid will have careers as well.

Exum might have a nice career, but I don't think he'll ever come close to living up to the hype that surrounded him when he first came out from Down Under.
It's interesting, because Exum is the only player in history to make the leap directly from a foreign high school to the pros and by mid-season his defense was so sensational he earned himself a starting role.  His offensive aggression wasn't there, but folks that watched him said he had an unusually high IQ and feel for the game.  He's still slotted in as their starter.  I'd buy stock in Exum.  If you remember the pre-LeBron days, typically guys who jumped from high school to the pros took a couple years.  That's what made LeBron so otherworldly.  Even phenom prospects like KG and Kobe were pretty irrelevant as rookies.

All fair points.  I think he'll be pretty good, just not perennial all star level good. 

Like you say, he seems to have a nice feel for the game, but I didn't see the kind of explosiveness from him in his rookie year that had many pegging him as the "next Penny Hardaway."

Add the fact that he doesn't seem like much of a shooter or a naturally aggressive scorer, and I see "solid role player" more than "transcendent superstar."
I'm just saying Exum had a pretty steep learning curve and was starting to show aggression this summer while playing for Austrailia and his lone Summer league game.  I think he might show that potential eventually.  I think it's too early to write him off as a star prospect.

The top of that 2014 Draft is interesting and still has lots of long term potential. 

+Dario Saric: we haven't even seen him play yet

« Reply #138 on: March 11, 2016, 12:32:49 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

That's another one.  Good call.   That draft got a ton of hype and then looked disappointing, but I think think because of slow starts and injuries it might just live up to the hype long term. 

« Reply #139 on: March 11, 2016, 12:42:49 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704

That's another one.  Good call.   That draft got a ton of hype and then looked disappointing, but I think think because of slow starts and injuries it might just live up to the hype long term.

Yep. As you said, people are too quick to call young players busts. Kobe and KG not doing much as rookies were good examples. Jimmy Butler and Paul George more recently took some time to develop as well.

Parker is being misused in Milwaukee, Randle just started playing, and we really haven't even seen Embiid, Exum, and Saric yet. That draft class still has a lot of promise.

« Reply #140 on: March 11, 2016, 12:55:10 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

Yep. As you said, people are too quick to call young players busts. Kobe and KG not doing much as rookies were good examples. Jimmy Butler and Paul George more recently took some time to develop as well.

Parker is being misused in Milwaukee, Randle just started playing, and we really haven't even seen Embiid, Exum, and Saric yet. That draft class still
 has a lot of promise.
Vonleh hasnt shown anything but hes also really young and has an intriguing skillset. Would not count him out yet either.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.