Author Topic: Rumor: Markieff and Tucker to the Raptors  (Read 2733 times)

Re: Rumor: Markieff and Tucker to the Raptors
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2016, 11:56:46 AM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
As a Celtics fan, this is not ideal. This is the trade I think they make:

Raptors trade: Patterson, Ross, and Cabloco
Suns trade: Markieff and Tucker

This gives the Suns a stretch four to replace 75% of good Markieff Morris. It also gives them two interesting prospects to build around with Len, Tucker, Booker, Bledsoe, and Knight.

The Raptors finally get a scoring stretch 4. They also double down on Lowry's strength and toughness on defense by adding Tucker on the Wing.

Valancunas-Markieff-Carroll-DeRozan-Lowry, with Tucker, Joseph, Scola, Biyombo, Nogueira, and Wright off the bench.

That is a tough matchup. That is a team with the versatility to play anyone. Honestly, if that team could gel well, they could beat the Cavs in a seven game series because of their matchup ability and versatility.

And it would improve an Eastern Conference rival, which is bad for the Celtics.

Edit: Source of rumor is ESPN

http://espn.go.com/blog/nba/rumors/post/_/id/36855/nba-rumor-roundup-205

I'd be really surprised if TOR moved Ross, whom they view as the security blanket if DeRozan bolts for a max deal elsewhere this coming summer, and Caboclo, whom they've called the stealth superstar-in-the-making of the 2014 draft class.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2016, 12:12:59 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

This gives the Suns a stretch four to replace 75% of good Markieff Morris. It also gives them two interesting prospects to build around with Len, Tucker, Booker, Bledsoe, and Knight.

The Raptors finally get a scoring stretch 4. They also double down on Lowry's strength and toughness on defense by adding Tucker on the Wing.

Valancunas-Markieff-Carroll-DeRozan-Lowry, with Tucker, Joseph, Scola, Biyombo, Nogueira, and Wright off the bench.

That is a tough matchup. That is a team with the versatility to play anyone. Honestly, if that team could gel well, they could beat the Cavs in a seven game series because of their matchup ability and versatility.

I'd be really surprised if TOR moved Ross, whom they view as the security blanket if DeRozan bolts for a max deal elsewhere this coming summer, and Caboclo, whom they've called the stealth superstar-in-the-making of the 2014 draft class.

Markieff Morris is the best player in this trade, easily, and he's on a bargain contract for 3 more years after this one.

Tucker has a good portion of his contract non-guaranteed next season.

Ross begins making $10 million per year after this season, so for his production, that contract is a bit questionable to retain.

Bruno, while only 20-years old, doesn't seem to be progressing all that well from what I've seen. I could be wrong.

So I don't view those two assets as untouchable as you seem to insinuate, particularly if they land Morris who's much better than anyone involved here, and on a very good contract.

The net of this is that you get the best player in the lot, and gain salary cap flexibility and cap space.  Seems like a no-brainer from where I stand with the assumption that you're willing to deal with whatever Morris' misgivings have been this year (legal problems, fight with Suns management who he seems to think did him wrong).

« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2016, 12:14:31 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I like this deal for the Raptors.  I like the Raptors in general, so I'd be happy to see this happen.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2016, 12:15:46 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
I like this deal for the Raptors.  I like the Raptors in general, so I'd be happy to see this happen.

I wouldn't say I like the Raptors, but I wouldn't be opposed to them improving in the current landscape of things (meaning, only team currently in the East that seems capable on the onset of derailing the Cavs).

« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2016, 12:26:32 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870
The original rumor:

Phoenix Suns: According to ESPN.com's Marc Stein, the Raptors have interest in Phoenix's P.J. Tucker and Markieff Morris. Stein writes: "ESPN sources say Toronto is among the teams expressing trade interest in Suns swingman P.J. Tucker in advance of the Feb. 18 trade deadline. Given Suns have continued to hold out for quality pick or player for disgruntled Markieff Morris, expect them to seek nice pick for Tucker. Toronto, I'm told, also showing interest in Suns' Markieff Morris; PHX widely seen as a LOCK to do at least one deal before Feb. 18 deadline." ... A report from ArizonaSports.com backs up the rumors coming out of Phoenix that the Suns are indeed still shopping Morris. ... In injury news, there is a chance point guard Ronnie Price (toe) will play next week, according to The Arizona Republic. Brandon Knight (groin strain) is expected to be sidelined up to the All-Star break.

Sounds like Toronto has interest, Suns asking more than the players are worth.

« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2016, 12:36:34 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352

Markieff Morris is the best player in this trade, easily, and he's on a bargain contract for 3 more years after this one.

Ross begins making $10 million per year after this season, so for his production, that contract is a bit questionable to retain.

Bruno, while only 20-years old, doesn't seem to be progressing all that well from what I've seen. I could be wrong.

So I don't view those two assets as untouchable as you seem to insinuate, particularly if they land Morris who's much better than anyone involved here, and on a very good contract.

The net of this is that you get the best player in the lot, and gain salary cap flexibility and cap space.  Seems like a no-brainer from where I stand with the assumption that you're willing to deal with whatever Morris' misgivings have been this year (legal problems, fight with Suns management who he seems to think did him wrong).

Well, it's not what I think, it's what Toronto reportedly thinks.

As you say, Morris also comes with some risk to team chemistry. Although, relocating him to TOR would put him much closer to his brother.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2016, 12:56:08 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson

Well, it's not what I think, it's what Toronto reportedly thinks.

As you say, Morris also comes with some risk to team chemistry. Although, relocating him to TOR would put him much closer to his brother.