Author Topic: Potentially Under utilized players to target  (Read 4720 times)

Potentially Under utilized players to target
« on: February 04, 2016, 07:22:37 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
I was just reading the following Steve Bulpett Article. 

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/celtics/celtics_insider/2016/02/bulpett_forget_dwight_howard_plus_other_celtics_truths

It touches upon how unlikely it is that the Celtics trade for Howard and how baring an unforeseen situation that opens up significant minutes  Lee is likely gone either via trade or buyout. Nothing really noteworthy. The small point made in the article that peaked my interested was the following quote;

"Last season, the Celtics acquired, among others, Jae Crowder and Isaiah Thomas, two players they had identified as being better than their situation allowed. A year later, one is a franchise rock and the only player to start every game; the other is an All-Star"

This is a very interesting point that the Celtics added two foundation type pieces in players that others teams where not fully utilizing. That led me to think outside the target a star mode and look for players who may be able to flourish in a new setting.

John Henson, he has limitation but is 25 and a career 8pt 5 rb 1.5 blk guy in 20min. What would his impact be as a 25-30mpg starting center? last season in the playoffs against the bulls he averaged 25mpg 8.8pts 8rb 1.7blk.

Doug McDermott
, he currently averages 7.7ppg in 21min while take 7 FGA. If he was playing Turners 27mpg and getting 9FGA he could be a real threat scoring off the bench.

Markief Morris, he is now being features as the Suns #1 option on offense and just has a 30pt game this is likely due to the coaching change but still highlights a player setting into a role and flourishing.

Terrance Jones, he is a multi-skilled PF who at 24 is actually playing 2 less min per game then his career average of 24.5. With the addition of Josh Smith this is likely to drop further. A style of play like the Cs could really show case his perimeter skill set.

Shabazz Muhammad, he is a talented scoring wing who is averaging 10ppg despite only playing 20mpg. With a more prominent role it’s easy to see him as a 15ppg player.

Ben McLemore
,  at only 22 he has seen his minutes and his ppg hit a career low this season with the Kings. Last season he averaged 12ppg in 33min and seemed like a lock to be the Kings long term starting SG. He has improved this season his FG% and 3PT%. Based just on last season its easy to see that McLemore can be more productive if better utilized.

This list is just a few examples and I’m sure there are many more players in the league who fit this profile. I left out a Steve Adams and Dieng who I think could see a bump in stats with more minutes but who I believe are currently playing their appropriate role in today's NBA.  Even on the Cs it’s easy to see how Zeller and Turner would be more productive if given more prominent roles with more minutes.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

Re: Potentially Under utilized players to target
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2016, 08:15:13 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Love Terrence Jones and Markieff Morris on that list.

I think Terrence Jones could even play center for this Boston team until a true center is acquired. He would be a very difficult cover defensively for opposing centers and is a strong rebounder. Defensively, able but inconsistent. Needs work defensively but the talent is there.

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2016, 08:32:26 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
have to admit I don't see any of those players as the type to flourish in new environments.  I see them more as players that have been underwhelming in their development and won't improve much. 

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2016, 03:49:02 PM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219
Thinking about this kind of target as the deadline nears. Henson is by far the modest acquisition I'd most like to see. A couple other underutilized players would be Jerami Grant and Kyle O'Quinn.
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2016, 03:52:06 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Thinking about this kind of target as the deadline nears. Henson is by far the modest acquisition I'd most like to see. A couple other underutilized players would be Jerami Grant and Kyle O'Quinn.
I love Jerami Grant. Great glue guy talent. One-on-one defense, team defense, rebounding, athleticism, transition play, developing a jump-shot.

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2016, 03:56:56 PM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
Interesting list, but don't we already have a slew of guys not getting minutes that we need to develop, ie Mickey, Rozier, Hunter, Young?  Not to mention that we have 8 draft picks coming in.  Seems to me that was a great strategy for us last year and is really paying dividends, but that we've moved on from the phase of our development.

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2016, 03:58:27 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Stein reports that McLemore and the Kings are mutually interested in a trade.

Foolishly, the Kings want to push for the playoffs this season (if their 1st rounder falls out of the top ten, it goes to Chicago). So, they'll likely as for veteran contributors, not picks and prospects, in return.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2016, 04:00:40 PM »

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 269
I'm not saying I want him or that the team needs him, but one guy being under-utilized who I think would thrive in Brad's system is Goran Dragic. The guy thrives when he's in the right system. In Phoenix, he was one of the best point guards in the league because they played at such a great pace with him leading the way. Now he's in Miami where he plays on one of the worst-paced teams in the league and he has to defer to Dwyane Wade the whole game. I think his 3 point shooting and ability to run the floor endlessly would make him a great fit here.

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2016, 04:09:31 PM »

Offline ThePoeticWolf

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 14
I was just reading the following Steve Bulpett Article. 

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/celtics/celtics_insider/2016/02/bulpett_forget_dwight_howard_plus_other_celtics_truths

It touches upon how unlikely it is that the Celtics trade for Howard and how baring an unforeseen situation that opens up significant minutes  Lee is likely gone either via trade or buyout. Nothing really noteworthy. The small point made in the article that peaked my interested was the following quote;

"Last season, the Celtics acquired, among others, Jae Crowder and Isaiah Thomas, two players they had identified as being better than their situation allowed. A year later, one is a franchise rock and the only player to start every game; the other is an All-Star"

This is a very interesting point that the Celtics added two foundation type pieces in players that others teams where not fully utilizing. That led me to think outside the target a star mode and look for players who may be able to flourish in a new setting.

John Henson, he has limitation but is 25 and a career 8pt 5 rb 1.5 blk guy in 20min. What would his impact be as a 25-30mpg starting center? last season in the playoffs against the bulls he averaged 25mpg 8.8pts 8rb 1.7blk.

Doug McDermott
, he currently averages 7.7ppg in 21min while take 7 FGA. If he was playing Turners 27mpg and getting 9FGA he could be a real threat scoring off the bench.

Markief Morris, he is now being features as the Suns #1 option on offense and just has a 30pt game this is likely due to the coaching change but still highlights a player setting into a role and flourishing.

Terrance Jones, he is a multi-skilled PF who at 24 is actually playing 2 less min per game then his career average of 24.5. With the addition of Josh Smith this is likely to drop further. A style of play like the Cs could really show case his perimeter skill set.

Shabazz Muhammad, he is a talented scoring wing who is averaging 10ppg despite only playing 20mpg. With a more prominent role it’s easy to see him as a 15ppg player.

Ben McLemore
,  at only 22 he has seen his minutes and his ppg hit a career low this season with the Kings. Last season he averaged 12ppg in 33min and seemed like a lock to be the Kings long term starting SG. He has improved this season his FG% and 3PT%. Based just on last season its easy to see that McLemore can be more productive if better utilized.

This list is just a few examples and I’m sure there are many more players in the league who fit this profile. I left out a Steve Adams and Dieng who I think could see a bump in stats with more minutes but who I believe are currently playing their appropriate role in today's NBA.  Even on the Cs it’s easy to see how Zeller and Turner would be more productive if given more prominent roles with more minutes.

John Henson - I wouldn't touch with his huge contract that he's not worth.

Doug McDermott - I'll take Turner who does way more for a team, can ball handle, score, and defend.  Also in the 4th quarter he's one of our best players.

Markief Morris - We talk about a poison player he's one.  Does anybody remember he became a total douchbag to the organization because they traded his brother.  Also had some off the court issues.  Yes, young and on a good contract but not worth the headache.  Plus we have players like him that I'd rather, he's no upgrade.

Terrance Jones - A great young players but personally I rather Sully.  He can play the center position and scores and rebounds better.  Yes, Sully has issues but still would rather keep Sully if the price is right.

Shabazz Muhammad - Think has reached his ceiling and honestly don't think he's a player that would raise us higher,  Plus being a winger player I rather Crowder and Turner. 

Ben McLemore - The only player that even peaks my interests even the smallest, because of his age and could be a good back up for Bradley at the 2 guard.  But I'm not sure who I'd be really willing to give up for him so I'd be passing.

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2016, 04:16:15 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
What about Troy Daniels?

We as a team like to shoot 3's, and here's a guy from Charlotte, toiling in the bench because they signed Lamb to a new deal, who can shoot 3's and is not afraid to take them.

We could certainly have a use of his skills.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2016, 04:22:51 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
What about Troy Daniels?

We as a team like to shoot 3's, and here's a guy from Charlotte, toiling in the bench because they signed Lamb to a new deal, who can shoot 3's and is not afraid to take them.

I bet you'd like that, wouldn't you, Yoki?  ;)
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2016, 04:26:11 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
What about Troy Daniels?

I bet you'd like that, wouldn't you, Yoki?  ;)

There's a bit of bias here with the DKC and all, for sure, but it's sensible.

We are 6th in the league in 3 point attempts, but 23rd in 3PT%. If we want to keep shooting 3's, lets bring someone who actually can make them.

He's not being used in Charlotte, and when he is, more likely than not he will shoot the lights out. He's not going to cost much to acquire for sure, and he would fit right in with what we are doing.

2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2016, 04:39:13 PM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
What about Troy Daniels?

i looked up his stats since i dont this guy at all. impressive 3pt shooting 42%. but only plays a few minutes a game. why is that? what is it about him that makes a team NOT want him on the floor?

i would appreciate some insights on this.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2016, 04:41:55 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
i still want ben mclemore

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2016, 04:45:01 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Stein reports that McLemore and the Kings are mutually interested in a trade.

Foolishly, the Kings want to push for the playoffs this season (if their 1st rounder falls out of the top ten, it goes to Chicago). So, they'll likely as for veteran contributors, not picks and prospects, in return.
I was gonna say "Evan Turner for Ben McLemore... who says no?"... but Turner has actually been super effective for us.   Still, they match up financially... McLemore has another year on his rookie deal.  That would be a classic sell high/buy low move... and isn't Turner a free agent?