Author Topic: Will this be enough to get Howard and Gallinari?  (Read 2778 times)

Re: Will this be enough to get Howard and Gallinari?
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2016, 06:57:51 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
over paying for howard
otherwise i like it
i think howard could be had for less
Amir , sully, and dallas 2016 pick

I seriously doubt Amir, will be part of the package, perhaps Lee.

« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2016, 07:04:03 AM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 238
Isaiah, Dwight and Gallinari plus Smart, Crowder, KO, Zelle rand guys like BRadley or Amir, Mickey, Rozier, RJ and Young and Turner or it could be argued is a younger and much better team than when we won in 08.

you took that out of context. But i will argue that because what I said was team because we are much deeper than anthing we had then.  Rondo was a 2nd year pg much like smart and he was starting for us.  KO has a lot more offensive upside than Perk ever did.  He's not the defensive player Perk was though.  Smart is.

Isaiah, Dwight and Gallinari do not match up with Pierce, Ray and KG but if you look at career stats Dwight is in that KG tier of player.  He's been beat up in his career though and hasn't been the player he was the last year or so. Isaiah is an allstar and younger than Pierce. Gallinari was injured early in his career but is having his best season and is coming into his own as a player. 

Add to that Jay Crowder he's better than Posey, Bradley is better than Tony Allen, Zeller and Amir are similar to Pj brown. Evan Turner is better than anything we had back then off the bench.  Even Sam Cassell.

If we keep Mickey and Sully are much better than Davis and Powe.  We really can do these deals with Lee and Amir as the principles. We have young guards as well when we had Eddie  House back then.

Ok maybe not much better but similar and comparable. We have Brad Stevens as our coach.  We had Doc Rivers.   It's debatable if the competition is better. Teams we had to face were so much more physical back then. The Lakers had a huge front line to go with Kobe.

Could we win a championship with this team?  I say we could. That's all that matters.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 07:48:33 AM by walker834 »

« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2016, 07:17:09 AM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
The point is though getting that kind of team for David Lee, Sullinger and either Bradley or Amir plus picks does not come along very often. It seems to me like LEe and either Bradley or Amir would have to be the principles of each trade to make that happen due to contracts.  We'd also most likely have to give up the nets pick but maybe Houston will budge.

We'd also have 2018 nets picks and ours to get another player.  We didn't have that back then. So it really is better in ways.

Isaiah and Gallinari are younger than Pierce and Ray were at the time.  Howard is even younger than KG was at the time. Plus we'd have options going forward.

It's much younger and a better team meaning throughout depth wise and as far as options.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 07:23:31 AM by walker834 »

« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2016, 07:25:10 AM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
We lost Posey and tony allen on those teams and were never the same.  We have Crowder and Bradley locked up long term on this one.  Plus we still have options as far as picks going forward.  And other players that trump anything we had surrounding KG, Ray and Pierce. So  yes it can be argued.

It really depends on if Dwight wants to redeem himself and really wants a championship.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 07:31:04 AM by walker834 »

« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2016, 07:51:00 AM »

Offline ThaPreacher

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 174
  • THA PREACHER
Walker,

Each time you answer your own post,
 fur falls off your kitten, the eggs in your refrigerator scramble themselves, and your grandmother loses another tooth :'(
"Just do what you do best."  -Red Auerbach-

« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2016, 08:19:18 AM »

Offline notthebowler

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 27
It can be argued Dwight is in the KG tier anyways.

This might be the most offensive thing in the history of the Internet.  I mean, I know there are a lot of repulsive, illegal things out there, but none of them can be as bad as this, right? 

« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2016, 08:43:25 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I think you aren't thinking this through though.  We aren't going to get an all out superstar.  Howard is the best we can do and even need to do. Plus he is a superstar. He's dwight howard lol. This is why we can even get him potentially.

WE can keep waiting on Demarcus Cousins and Kevin Love or even Marc Gasol but they won't be superstars either by the time we can get them. Dwight is in that KG window.

Dwight might not be KG but we are also a much better team than when we got KG.  It can be argued Dwight is in the KG tier anyways.

I don't think you're thinking this through.

DH is not the DH from his Orlando days.  He's a decent starter at this point of his career with injury risks and questions about his motor.  He's not worth ANY Brooklyn picks. 
Gallo, another player with injury concerns not to mention concerns about his D.  Also not worth any Brooklyn picks.
It should not require the usage of nearly as many of those assets as you propose to acquire either/both of those players.  I'm not sure that acquiring them even moves the needle all that much for this team -- probably not enough to really challenge Cleveland or any of the top Western teams.  If I'm making major acquisitions, it's with the purpose of getting good enough to challenge for the finals, not just to become good enough to win 1 maybe 2 games against Cleveland in the conference finals.

not sure why you're ok with giving up the best asset we have (Brooklyn 2016 pick) while insisting on keeping their 2018 pick which arguably is the least valuable of all of them because Brooklyn will have had 2 years to improve themselves.

« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2016, 08:44:50 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
the 2016 pick won't be going anywhere.

It's only tradeable for a top 10-20 player. In fact I don't think Danny would even give it up for most players between #15 to #20 in the NBA (eg Love, DeRozan, Bosh etc) so that makes it really only up for trade for top 15 players.

Dwight won't be much. We can sign him when he opts out, and Morey knows this. Depends how serious the Rockets are on resigning him next season.

Gallo is probably similar value to Dwight, perhaps slightly less.

I think of all our assets to get both:

To Rockets:
2016 Dallas pick, 2018 Memphis pick, Amir Johnson, Jerebko.
To Celtics: Dwight Howard.
(wild card: Morey says Danny must take Ty Lawson for Lee's expiring).

To Nuggets:

2016 Celtics pick, 2016 Minny 2nd rounders, James Young, RJ Hunter
To Celtics:
Gallinari

Morey is probably asking Danny to take Ty Lawson for David Lee so he can clear cap room in Houston. Danny likes Ty a lot, and his salary is only one more season.
Still a lot of money for a trainwreck.
Worst case we could buy him out.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2016, 08:50:32 AM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
I am thinking it through. There are very few scenarios that are going to put us in that championship tier.   I also said Dwight Howard is not KG and statistically he is in that tier.  The truth is most deals aren't even worth discussing. This one is because it puts into perspective what we are really looking at. It's either this or wait on a guy like Simmons or make a move for someone like Cousins ultimately who has his own issues.  I prefer Cousins over Howard any day but those deals more than likely aren't happening.  90 percent of the trades on this board are about acquiring additional assets or don't make sense at all.

What I'm saying makes perfect sense and I am thinking it through. How what I'm saying is perceived is something else entirely.

What I'm saying is just more to give perspective to what we are looking at.  I wasn't even replying to my post.  It was just a long thought.  I get we can keep acquiring assets and looking for the right pieces and have said that too.

I'd still rather keep our own players in ways but if we are going to make a trade there are certain deals that worth looking at and some that aren't. 

I'm not saying this trade is going to happen.  Howard has questions but it's one of a few trades that are actually worth looking into. Maybe it's just to give perspective but even still.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 09:02:02 AM by walker834 »

« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2016, 09:05:06 AM »

Offline Yenohb

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 73
Your idea really depicts what Danny Ainge pointed out on his weekly interview with 98.5 The Sports Hub's Toucher & Rich:

"I can't put myself in that position because then you do silly things," Ainge replied. "I would like to do something to put us in that position (to win a championship), of course. I spend every day thinking and trying to come up with ways to do that. But it's just not that simple. I think that a lot of the mistakes that are made all around our league is people trying to do something too fast, and are impatient, and they panic. And we are definitely not in a panic mode. We have some objectives that we would like to accomplish, but you have to find a good partner, you have to make a good deal. We can't just make deals. You can't say we want to win a championship and are going to get so-and-so. It's not that simple."

« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2016, 09:07:47 AM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
Exactly.  I AM thinking it through over here.  It might not come off that way but that's all I'm doing.

« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2016, 09:12:09 AM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
Houston is one of the few teams he supposedly engaged in talks.  I read about a lot of other deals and most of the time it's too fast.  This one is one that is worth talking about a bit more is all. It gives perspective in ways. 

We can keep acquiring assets and parlaying players and picks, but we are going to start losing assets.  That doesn't mean I'm panicking. It's just the reality of it.  That should be known.

I think an argument can be made that something like this should happen for that reason.  There are other ways to get creative though.

We don't want to sell ourselves short on any deal.  I get that.

How I mean this isn't probably like you think either because I read and inquire about a ton of other players and situations and there are certain deals that are actually worth talking about more than others.

Ainge actually engaged Houston for a reason more than likely.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 09:54:11 AM by walker834 »

« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2016, 10:19:47 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
the 2016 pick won't be going anywhere.

It's only tradeable for a top 10-20 player. In fact I don't think Danny would even give it up for most players between #15 to #20 in the NBA (eg Love, DeRozan, Bosh etc) so that makes it really only up for trade for top 15 players.

Dwight won't be much. We can sign him when he opts out, and Morey knows this. Depends how serious the Rockets are on resigning him next season.

Gallo is probably similar value to Dwight, perhaps slightly less.

I think of all our assets to get both:

To Rockets:
2016 Dallas pick, 2018 Memphis pick, Amir Johnson, Jerebko.
To Celtics: Dwight Howard.
(wild card: Morey says Danny must take Ty Lawson for Lee's expiring).

To Nuggets:

2016 Celtics pick, 2016 Minny 2nd rounders, James Young, RJ Hunter
To Celtics:
Gallinari

Morey is probably asking Danny to take Ty Lawson for David Lee so he can clear cap room in Houston. Danny likes Ty a lot, and his salary is only one more season.
Still a lot of money for a trainwreck.
Worst case we could buy him out.
this would a more likely trade scenario and more acceptable in terms of cost relative to what they bring to the table for the C's

« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2016, 10:38:09 AM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5350
  • Thumper of the BASS!
Reading this topic and comments and looking further in to this trade,  my first thought was how well Thomas and Howard could possibly work together. I also read an article  that said the same thing.

Totally understanding that we are building and dont want to give up our assets, Howard could be the foundation.
He is still a solid rebounder and scoring. We gotta stop comparing him to his Orlando days.

My only thing is he may not be long term.  With him here i feel we have shot of going further  in the playoffs and he would be key in getting past Cleveland.

Tuff choice but get him in green.

« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2016, 10:57:11 AM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
Howard from a talent perspective fits this team really well. It's more the mental stuff and injury concerns.  Talent wise and statistically he is in KG's tier.  Mentally he is the polar opposite.  My first post on him was basically that.  There are two sides to him.  He's either worth it or he isn't.  I'm not sure we gamble on that and mess with chemistry too much.  We'd have to be sure in some way.  I see him differently in that regard I guess.  My first post on him was I wouldn't give up anything for him or maybe a pick.   I made this post because Houston might lose him, but right now their asking price is too high. I was also thinking about how we have so many picks we can cash in  for someone who we really like.  Howard to me is a guy we either want him or we don't.  I don't think you half ass it too much.  You have to be smart and make the right deal though. Howard simply might not be worth that.

KG used to beat up Howard pretty good because KG mentally was just that much better.  Howard to me is kind of the anti Celtic in that regard.  But I still really like his talent.  KG also had Ray and Pierce when Howard was the lone guy there in Orlando.

It's always a good story when a player like that does well in a situation like that too.

Howard is a rare center in the NBA these days. He's that supremely talented.

I think he would have to really want to win here though and redeem himself.

« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 11:38:57 AM by walker834 »