Author Topic: Could DA's Inquiries of Harford and Howard just be part of a bigger trade?  (Read 1219 times)

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
While both of these players have been great at one point, they seem like a square peg round hole scenario.

Howard even now is a better big man on D than anyone we have on this roster, but he's now 30 and banged up with issues of knees, and he had that back issue a while back. Yes, KG was thought the same way, but Howard is no KG when it comes to the approach of the game. While it's nice to have a paint defending Big man, this team needs a go to scorer out side of IT and some times ET. I'd much rather have Hayward than Howard for one part scoring and two parts better personality/youth.

Harford is a good all around player and 3 years ago would have been jumping up and down if there was a chance, but with him being 30, he's not long term, and not a guy who could bring an other name to the team.

DA has things these teams may want and thats, cheaper/younger players who can be resigned for less than either Howard or Harford will go for, expiring contracts and Picks.

DA may be looking at players that are partly young, but longer term. Like a Cousins(don't think hes even close to on the table), Griffin, Love. Why wouldn't they just trade with each other and leave Boston out of it. Well they could, but Boston has one thing both team can use and thats draft picks for cheap players since both team are maxing out. And Boston could have some decent picks to give up for the right deal.

Plus Cleveland owes DA for helping out with getting Lebron and Doc owes us for the mess up that prevented us from getting Jordan, even though it may turn out to be a better deal with Brooklyn. :P

Now I don't think 100% this is the idea, it could also be DA blowing smoke up other GM's butts to get an other deal going. But I just don't see Howard or Horford helping us beyond this or maybe next year. Unless they come on the very cheap, just too pricey. 

Re: Could DA's Inquiries of Harford and Howard just be part of a bigger trade?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2016, 08:28:54 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Ainge is an opportunist.  He will trade for anyone if the trade is a win. As long as he's giving up less than the guy is worth, he will do it regardless of whether or not the guy is a great fit.  Like last year when we traded a late 1st for Thomas.  Thomas isn't likely a long term starter here, it was in the team's best interest to tank... but the offer was there so ainge had to take it. 

I'm sure he's exploring trading for Howard, but only if he can snag him for cheap.

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2016, 08:54:52 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
Maybe, except I don't buy the premise that Howard and Horford wouldn't help this team. Either guy would immediately be our best big. End of the day, vets are the ones who generally find success in the playoffs. Horford, in particular, seems like he's built for this team: high IQ, unselfish, spaces the floor, gritty defender.

The reason these names are being thrown out there is because these are the ones who are likely available. Guys like Cousins, Blake and Love likely aren't. The Blake Griffin rumors really confuse me actually. I mean, when we were winning games without KG in 2009, did people here think we should trade KG for a couple of late picks and someone like Jeff Green?
- LilRip

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2016, 04:59:27 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I would say it very much could be about gauging the market for bigs. Yet idk if a real trade happens. You have top, bottom and middle I expect DA goes for middle.

The top of rumored market but probably unattainable
Love, Cousins, M.Gasol, Griffin

The bottom of rumored market and easily attainable if there
Howard, Galo, Al, Anderson, Morris, Moz, Pek, Asik, Chandler

The middle of rumor market still fifficult to attain
Favors, Noel, Hordford, Noah, Monroe

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2016, 06:00:28 AM »

Offline CroCorvus

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 41
Hope so, DH is from ATL, he goes back home, we get Horford and Houston gets few quality players and some picks...

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2016, 10:22:14 AM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
Maybe, except I don't buy the premise that Howard and Horford wouldn't help this team. Either guy would immediately be our best big. End of the day, vets are the ones who generally find success in the playoffs. Horford, in particular, seems like he's built for this team: high IQ, unselfish, spaces the floor, gritty defender.

The reason these names are being thrown out there is because these are the ones who are likely available. Guys like Cousins, Blake and Love likely aren't. The Blake Griffin rumors really confuse me actually. I mean, when we were winning games without KG in 2009, did people here think we should trade KG for a couple of late picks and someone like Jeff Green?

I agree that on paper they are would be the best bigs, and Harford would be good for the team, but are we close to contending to bring in a 30 year old bigs with health issues? Ones that to keep next season we have to pay between 20 to 30 mill a year?

At least with Howard if he's happy for a half season we'd get him one more year. But if Harford can get near what he wants for a contract with a team thats closer to contending, he could jump ship. Its all depending on what DA has to give up to get them. I'm sure both teams want Nets picks and a young thats under contract which I'm not a fan of. Any other pick Lee and Sully would be my base for them. Especially Harford were DA can pursue him in FA.

Which that last bit brought a thought of DA asking about guys who are FA's next season could be seeds he's planting saying "hey we really like you, we wanted to trade for you last season, but your team didn't want to play ball, come on over and take a look and we can talk." This I could see too, DA playing mind games and attacking every angle possible.