Author Topic: Forget Howard , lets go after big AL  (Read 2491 times)

Re: Forget Howard , lets go after big AL
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2016, 08:58:01 PM »

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 269
I prefer Al Horford over Al Jefferson or Dwight Howard.

This. Horford is the jack of all trades that I think would help the most out of the three. I predict there will be some serious talks between the Hawks and the Celtics before the deadline.

i would prefer Dwight over Horford. 

Dwight has declined over the years, but he's still putting up very impressive numbers and still has the ability to be dominant on defense and on the boards, and even occasionally on offense.

Horford has also declined over the last few years, but he's putting up only mildly impressive numbers this year, and is really only 'good' as a rebounder, defender and scorer.  Like Dwight, he's also very injury prone.

IMHO Dwight is the bigger impact player - he has the potential to be an absolute game changer in the playoffs because even in his current (declined) state, he still has the ability to completely control the paint.

Horford on the other hand is kinda like a rich man's Kelly Olynyk in that there isn't any one thing that he is really dominant at, but he'll just make your team better by quietly doing a lot of things well.   

Given the choice, I'll take the guy who has the potential to dominate. Teams with lots of solid guys but no dominant ones usually do very well in the regular season, and drop off the face of the earth come playoff time - Atlanta being the perfect example.  Teams with guys who can dominant certain aspects of the game tend to be the kind of  teams that make hard runs in the Playoffs.

With Thomas dominating on offense and Dwight dominating the paint, I think that this team could be really deadly - and a front court duo of Olynyk+Dwight honestly feels like a match made in heaven.

I hear ya and very much respect the opinion. I guess the reason why I prefer Horford is because he can play in crunchtime and space the floor. Two things Dwight can't do. It's a matter of taste. Also, if we had Dwight, we would have to endure through a lot of Hack-a-Dwight episodes in close games which I don't want to watch.

I would welcome Dwight but only at the right price.

« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2016, 09:06:31 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741

This. Horford is the jack of all trades that I think would help the most out of the three. I predict there will be some serious talks between the Hawks and the Celtics before the deadline.
I'll third the Horford love.

And of everyone on Charlotte's roster, I'd most want to make a run at Batum but I don't know that we could get him. Maybe in free agency this summer? That'd be nice.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2016, 09:12:05 PM »

Offline greenhead85

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 35
No.

If Dwight is not available, I think a very good (if not even better) alternative is Serge Ibaka. Amir and Tyler Zeller  + non-Brookyln 1st round picks for Serge.

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=jljwvde

OKC has Enes and Adams. Adding two more bigs to compensate for Ibaka departure I guess would suffice.

Ibaka practically solves our rim protection problem.

OKC's not getting rid of him. Especially not now.

They're getting 2 bigs (Amir is a very good rebounder and a starter and Zeller a seven-footer who could be 2nd or 3rd option at 5) + 2 non-Brooklyn 1st rounders which could give them leverage for future trades. Amir, Adams and Kanter are bigs who could basically secure their rebounding.

« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2016, 09:14:32 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
No.

If Dwight is not available, I think a very good (if not even better) alternative is Serge Ibaka. Amir and Tyler Zeller  + non-Brookyln 1st round picks for Serge.

OKC has Enes and Adams. Adding two more bigs to compensate for Ibaka departure I guess would suffice.

They're getting 2 bigs (Amir is a very good rebounder and a starter and Zeller a seven-footer who could be 2nd or 3rd option at 5) + 2 non-Brooklyn 1st rounders which could give them leverage for future trades. Amir, Adams and Kanter are bigs who could basically secure their rebounding.
So you think OKC is going to trade their best defender, in a year they're trying to win a championship, so they can have leverage in future trades? Man, I wish you worked for OKC.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2016, 09:18:58 PM »

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 269
No.

It's still a downgrade. Ibaka is one of the league's best rim protectors and the Thunder are one of the league's best when he's on the floor. Better yet he's one of the few rim protectors who can shoot. They have absolutely no need to get rid of him.

OKC is not making any moves for the future since they are trying to win now. They also want their star player, Kevin Durant, to stay. Trading Ibaka would not entice Durant to stay.

« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2016, 09:20:33 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I'll always have a special place in my heart for big al, but I don't think he really moves the needle much. 

« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2016, 09:47:51 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Yuck. I'd rather have Lee than Big Al at this point.

I loved Big Al with the Celtics....after the teams he has played for, how poorly they've done with him on them and now his injury. Not a chance. at least Howard is a top notch defender. Big Al would be an awful fit in Stevens system at this point in his career.

« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2016, 10:06:07 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 533
I'll always have a special place in my heart for big al, but I don't think he really moves the needle much.
Not in today's NBA and not with the way this team plays.  Pass.

« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2016, 10:23:24 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875

i would prefer Dwight over Horford. 

Dwight has declined over the years, but he's still putting up very impressive numbers and still has the ability to be dominant on defense and on the boards, and even occasionally on offense.

Horford has also declined over the last few years, but he's putting up only mildly impressive numbers this year, and is really only 'good' as a rebounder, defender and scorer.  Like Dwight, he's also very injury prone.

IMHO Dwight is the bigger impact player - he has the potential to be an absolute game changer in the playoffs because even in his current (declined) state, he still has the ability to completely control the paint.

Horford on the other hand is kinda like a rich man's Kelly Olynyk in that there isn't any one thing that he is really dominant at, but he'll just make your team better by quietly doing a lot of things well.   

Given the choice, I'll take the guy who has the potential to dominate. Teams with lots of solid guys but no dominant ones usually do very well in the regular season, and drop off the face of the earth come playoff time - Atlanta being the perfect example.  Teams with guys who can dominant certain aspects of the game tend to be the kind of  teams that make hard runs in the Playoffs.

With Thomas dominating on offense and Dwight dominating the paint, I think that this team could be really deadly - and a front court duo of Olynyk+Dwight honestly feels like a match made in heaven.

I hear ya and very much respect the opinion. I guess the reason why I prefer Horford is because he can play in crunchtime and space the floor. Two things Dwight can't do. It's a matter of taste. Also, if we had Dwight, we would have to endure through a lot of Hack-a-Dwight episodes in close games which I don't want to watch.

I would welcome Dwight but only at the right price.

I certainly can see the argument for Horford over Dwight - he's a great all rounder who doesn't really have any major flaws in his game.

My only problem is that Horford is a 'nice all round player' and this Boston team always seems to get stuck with 'nice all round players' who don't do enough to move the needle.  I fear Horford would be one such player, especially if he continues to decline as he has the last few years.

He's definitely an upgrade for us at either big position, and if he's the best option available I'd take him in a heartbeat.  But given the choice of the two, I'd take Dwight any day.

I know his free throw shooting sucks, but compared too some other defensive/rebounding minded bigs (e.g. Drummond, Deandre) his free throw shooting is actually almost borderline respectable haha

Plus Dwight gets to the line like an animal - he has a free throw rate of over 80% (which is ridiculous) and attempts a ton of them, so even if he's only shooting 55% from the line he's still contributing enough points from the line to be a factor. 

Also the hack a Dwight thing might work in the regular season, but it may not be so effective at the end of close playoff games.  If teams are going to hack him they need to put some scrub on the court who can afford to collect fouls, and that only works in our favor.  If they apply this method using their regular rotation guys then we get them into foul trouble, which also works in our favor. 

Finally Dwight has actually shot a 57% from the line for his career, and though that is a poor number it's probably high enough to ensure that hacking him isn't going to be sufficiently beneficial. 

Oh and at the end of the day, the impact we gain from 30 minutes with Dwight on the court, may well be enough to allow us to rest him in the final 3-5 minutes of close games.  If all goes to plan he impacts enough earlier in the game to ensure that the 'close games' happen less frequently, which in turn makes his free throw woes less of a factor.

« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2016, 11:44:57 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
God no.
You hate Howard so much you'd rather go through the pain of watching Big Al get owned in the paint every 2nd play?

Big Al is basically cooked and plays defense like David Lee.

would much prefer Howard or Horford.

Of those two it's a tough call.
If Dwight panned out he's got the higher ceiling for our playoff hopes, but Horford is steadier and less risk.

I don't think the Rockets give upon  Howard yet, he was just too important to them last year making the conference finals.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2016, 04:06:54 AM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
I'm just concerned Dwight Howard will drive Brad Stevens around and out the Celtics just like how he did to Stan Van Gundy, Mike Brown, and Kevin McHale lol.

Don't get me wrong, Dwight still posts up some decent numbers at his current age. But this guy's a complete headcase. Prefer we get Al Horford instead.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)