Author Topic: Should We Trade for A Number One Overall Pick?  (Read 1024 times)

Should We Trade for A Number One Overall Pick?
« on: February 03, 2016, 12:29:47 AM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
Not in this year's draft, but the 2014 Draft: Andrew Wiggins. I know it's crazy talk, at least on the surface, but look a little deeper. Wiggins is struggling mightily, worst of all, he's showing regression. Take a look: http://www.canishoopus.com/2016/2/1/10880850/the-timberwolves-need-to-start-getting-a-lot-more-from-andrew-wiggins. Scroll through the comments, read what the fans of the Wolves are saying. Maybe trading for Wiggins isn't so far-fetched after all? So we make them a big offer:

Avery Bradley, 2016 Nets Pick, and Jonas Jerebko for Andrew Wiggins and Kevin Martin

The salaries work. We get a shot at a go-to scorer. We take some pressure off Wiggins, easing him into his role of the future. We don't have to rely on luck in the lottery. We get our potential star.

Minnesota gets an outstanding, young, and cost-controlled complimentary piece in Bradley and another top five pick to go with their own this year. They build around their generational talent, Karl Towns.

What do you guys think? Because I'm thinking it's just crazy enough to make sense.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

Re: Should We Trade for A Number One Overall Pick?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2016, 12:37:04 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Unfortunately what the fans think doesn't change what the FO thinks about Wiggins.

"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2016, 12:48:03 AM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
Unfortunately what the fans think doesn't change what the FO thinks about Wiggins.

True, but virtually none of what we (all fans) discuss is realistic. I think this is definitely an interesting hypothetical.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2016, 07:18:49 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I'd happily trade the Brooklyn pick for Wiggins.

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2016, 09:13:12 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
TP for the outside of the box idea and the link to the article / comments - funny to see how much they seem to love Crowder (even saying they would rather Wiggins turn into Crowder than Rudy Gay and lumping him with names like Butler and Barnes)

I still have high hopes that Wiggins can be a very productive player in this league, but if the front office has any doubts, now would be the time to trade him. They would get absolute top dollar for him and would be able to start over with somebody they may think fits better. Teams often ride it out too long and then find that it's too late.

I am definitely not saying that Smart will end up better than Wiggins, but the article pretty much describes all of Wiggins' Jeff Green-like qualities while lambasting him for not having more on-court awareness. Sounds like the people over there think it is a lot easier to correct mechanics (Smart) than mindset/bbiq (Wiggins)

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2016, 10:07:53 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I wouldn't trade the Brooklyn pick for Wiggins.  He is very young and has awesome tools but he is very one dimensional as a player.  Some people seem to overrate him because he gets his points.  But that's all he does.  He doesn't provide anything else.  And the Jeff Green comparisons are kind of valid when you look as Wiggins rebounding numbers relative to his size and athletic ability.  We had a thread a month or so ago asking if posters preferred Giannis or Wiggins and I was blown away that the majority prefer Wiggins.  He could develop but he's not very good, doesn't do the little things and apparently has very little fire.

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2016, 10:34:34 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I wouldn't trade the Brooklyn pick for Wiggins.  He is very young and has awesome tools but he is very one dimensional as a player.  Some people seem to overrate him because he gets his points.  But that's all he does.  He doesn't provide anything else.  And the Jeff Green comparisons are kind of valid when you look as Wiggins rebounding numbers relative to his size and athletic ability.  We had a thread a month or so ago asking if posters preferred Giannis or Wiggins and I was blown away that the majority prefer Wiggins.  He could develop but he's not very good, doesn't do the little things and apparently has very little fire.

I think Wiggins has a lot of talent as a defender & rebounder. I expect Wiggins to grow and improve in those areas over next few years. I don't think Wiggins is a good ball-handler or passer and those areas will likely always be limitations for him.

I think Minnesota are hurting Wiggins by playing him so much at SG. He is a SF. He doesn't have the handles, passing or shooting range of a SG. His defense and especially his rebounding would be better suited to the SF position. I don't understand why they are starting Tayshaun Prince at SF and forcing Wiggins into the SG slot.

I expect the coaching staff have played a big role in Wiggins rebounding numbers.

Obviously the position he plays matters hugely. That puts him in less rebounding positions.

This is just a guess but -- I also expect the coaching staff are asking Wiggins to leak out early for transition opportunities instead of prioritizing defensive rebounding. It's not like Prince (SF) or KG (PF) are beating players up the court very often. And Rubio is a passer, not a finisher. They need someone out there filling the lanes.

I expect Wiggins would benefit enormously from playing for a different coach. Someone who will put more energy into Wiggins making the most of his defensive talent and getting Wiggins to engage more as a rebounder. And putting him back his natural position at SF.

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2016, 10:36:53 AM »

Offline GryphMinuteMan

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 7
What does everyone think the chances Jabari Parker gets traded? I would think higher than Wiggins and I would also trade the Brooklyn pick for him.