Author Topic: Noel to the Celtics Proposal  (Read 3830 times)

Re: Noel to the Celtics Proposal
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2016, 01:29:35 AM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219
And your overeating him a bit. For all his hype defensively he' 1.6 spg and 1.5bpg Granted he's only 21 years old. But he's also a poor free throw shooter which is a problem.

Last month he averaged 1.6 spg and 2.4 bpg, and as an idea of what he could do on a team that's already elite defensively (which only needs a defensive center like Noel to be the league's best) check out what he averaged last March. There's no one else in the league like him. He's not only a rim protector, he can guard the perimeter as well as any big in the NBA. His free throw shooting is weak, but it's not a liability in the DeAndre/Dwight/Drummond sense, so it's barely relevant. He's also a very good passer, not that the stat sheet shows it. I'm not really overrating him, dude. He's a premier prospect. In this draft he'd be, at worst, the third best prospect. He'd be perfect for this team. We'd be extremely lucky to have a chance to give Philly a Nets 1st for him.
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2016, 02:20:33 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

No. No. That wasn't a typo man. Lol. ;D

« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2016, 02:22:57 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

DP you really could stand to take it down a notch. Just a suggestion.

« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2016, 01:47:32 PM »

Offline Forza Juventus

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 70
Noel is a fantastic player. If there ever is a opportunity to trade for him we have to do it imo.
Azzurri | Juventus | Boston Celtics | Kentucky Basketball

"All the negativity that’s on Celticsblog sucks. I’ve been around when Kyrie Irving was criticized. I’ve been around when Al Horford was insulted. And it stinks. It makes the greatest team, greatest fans in the world, lousy."

Celticsblog=sports radio

« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2016, 01:58:30 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
I'd happily do that deal IF you take The Mickey Train outta there. Dude is the best player to never play in history  :blank:

p.s. Saric is gonna play the 4 in the NBA.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2016, 02:03:22 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
If by "win some games next year" you mean 18-20, sure.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2016, 02:10:05 PM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney

DP you really could stand to take it down a notch. Just a suggestion.

Take what down a notch?

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2016, 02:11:47 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I'm a known fan of Noel.  He's a tremendous prospect.   He clearly is held back by playing next to Okafor.  At this point, it seems more likely we'll see Okafor traded.   Noel's stats starting at PF vs starting at C are night and day.  In the 11 games he's been allowed to start at Center this season, he's averaged 14.2 points, 8 rebounds, 1.4 assists, 1.7 blocks and 2.0 steals in just 28.3mpg.  He's doing that with 64% shooting while at PF he's shot 46%. 

Project that out to 36 minutes and you have 18 points, 10.1 rebounds, 1.8 assists, 2.2 blocks, 2.5 steals.

Sure it's only 11 games, but he showed this kind of progress last year... after the all-star break he averaged 13.1 points, 10 rebounds, 1.9 assists, 2.3 blocks and 2.1 steals with 49% shooting in 32mpg.

I think any trade for him starts with Marcus Smart.  I think Philly would have better options, though and they might just decide to trade Okafor instead.   Seems a lot of philly fans think Noel will fit better next to Embiid (who I think is most likely going to play next season), but if Embiid actually comes back healthy and plays as well as they expect, you might end up seeing both Okafor and Noel eventually traded.

« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2016, 02:19:49 PM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
I'm a known fan of Noel.  He's a tremendous prospect.   He clearly is held back by playing next to Okafor.  At this point, it seems more likely we'll see Okafor traded.   Noel's stats starting at PF vs starting at C are night and day.  In the 11 games he's been allowed to start at Center this season, he's averaged 14.2 points, 8 rebounds, 1.4 assists, 1.7 blocks and 2.0 steals in just 28.3mpg.  He's doing that with 64% shooting while at PF he's shot 46%. 

Project that out to 36 minutes and you have 18 points, 10.1 rebounds, 1.8 assists, 2.2 blocks, 2.5 steals.

Sure it's only 11 games, but he showed this kind of progress last year... after the all-star break he averaged 13.1 points, 10 rebounds, 1.9 assists, 2.3 blocks and 2.1 steals with 49% shooting in 32mpg.

I think any trade for him starts with Marcus Smart.  I think Philly would have better options, though and they might just decide to trade Okafor instead.   Seems a lot of philly fans think Noel will fit better next to Embiid (who I think is most likely going to play next season), but if Embiid actually comes back healthy and plays as well as they expect, you might end up seeing both Okafor and Noel eventually traded.

TP. Honestly, I think Philly would be fools to trade him.

« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2016, 02:26:45 PM »

Offline arctic 3.0

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 406
I'd love to see Noel in Celtics green but I'd rather see how Mickey fits our big man rotation before sending out assets for Noel.

« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2016, 02:28:44 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

TP. Honestly, I think Philly would be fools to trade him.
Okafor for D'Angelo Russell still seems like a trade that would make sense.   I still kind of believe the theory that the Lakers took Russell to force Philly into giving up extra assets. 

« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2016, 02:30:25 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
gross overpayment. 
a starting SG, a starting PF, 2 good rookie prospects AND a first rounder that's likely in the mid teens 
FOR
a no-offense center that doesn't rebound particularly well.

AB or Sully and a first.  maybe Mickey or Hunter but that's it.

Philly doesn't give up Noel without a Brooklyn 1st. You are vastly underrating his value, and vastly overrating the value of Sullinger (expiring), Mickey (not so much a "good" prospect as decent/meh), and a mid-late 1st.
Danny would be a fool to give up a Brooklyn pick for Noel.  Noel went #6 in a crappy draft for a reason.  He'd probably go #1 in a redraft but that's only because the rest of that draft is still pretty weak. 

he's a no-O, weak-rebounding center.  Does that mean I wouldn't want him on the C's?  not at all.  I just won't overpay for that type of player.  Don't forget either, this is his 3rd year into his rookie deal.  He's going to be looking for a big pay bump very soon.  all that has to play into what is a fair payment for him in a trade.

« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2016, 02:34:09 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
gross overpayment. 
a starting SG, a starting PF, 2 good rookie prospects AND a first rounder that's likely in the mid teens 
FOR
a no-offense center that doesn't rebound particularly well.

AB or Sully and a first.  maybe Mickey or Hunter but that's it.

Philly doesn't give up Noel without a Brooklyn 1st. You are vastly underrating his value, and vastly overrating the value of Sullinger (expiring), Mickey (not so much a "good" prospect as decent/meh), and a mid-late 1st.
Danny would be a fool to give up a Brooklyn pick for Noel.  Noel went #6 in a crappy draft for a reason.  He'd probably go #1 in a redraft but that's only because the rest of that draft is still pretty weak. 

he's a no-O, weak-rebounding center.  Does that mean I wouldn't want him on the C's?  not at all.  I just won't overpay for that type of player.  Don't forget either, this is his 3rd year into his rookie deal.  He's going to be looking for a big pay bump very soon.  all that has to play into what is a fair payment for him in a trade.

He fell because he was injured. Just thought I'd make that distinction, an important one. He would've probably gone #1 otherwise, as it was projected.

« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2016, 02:48:12 PM »

Offline Forza Juventus

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 70
Noel went number 6 because of the injury and because he expressed himself and took a long time deciding on an agent. Teams got scared because they like to be in control. They look like idiots now with the exception of perhaps Orlando.
Azzurri | Juventus | Boston Celtics | Kentucky Basketball

"All the negativity that’s on Celticsblog sucks. I’ve been around when Kyrie Irving was criticized. I’ve been around when Al Horford was insulted. And it stinks. It makes the greatest team, greatest fans in the world, lousy."

Celticsblog=sports radio

« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2016, 03:34:04 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
I'd much rather have Turner but bc of all the bigs in Philly coming next season(Embiid is still a ? but idk) I could see Noel being on the block or at least they would have more options and that makes it more likely. Saris is a 4.

Turner is hot right now and may never amount to anything but players that show promise like him are big trade assets in years 1-3. Don't forget he is 19 and still is a year away from clearing up his gait/glute/hip problem....meaning he could struggle later or get hurt. Or he clears the problem up and his legs get stronger, more explosive, and quicker.