Author Topic: Per Woj: Golden State are "significant frontrunners" on Durant if he leaves OKC  (Read 4501 times)

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1547
I know I've posted a few times in this thread, but I haven't actually commented on the idea of Durant in GS.  So here goes, I think it is nonsense.  I don't see the point in it for GS (it will hurt their depth and mess with their chemistry) and I don't see the point in it for Durant (he really only has downside, i.e. either he messes up the chemistry and the team loses or they win and he hurts his legacy and is thought of as a ring chaser joining Curry's team).  If he leaves OKC (which I do think is unlikely) I believe he will go home to Washington to play with Wall and Beal or will go to a team like LA where he can play with Paul and being in a major media market.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
wont happen. gsw like it the way it is. Barnes signs next then curry

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 269
Do you guys really think professional athletes care about their "reputations" when it comes to leaving their original teams for somewhere better?

Yes, because these are hyper-competitive athletes with egos.

I guess I shouldn't have phrased that as a question. What I meant to say was that personally I don't think players value their reputations just from what I have seen recently in today's superstars. Back in Jordan's day, you didn't see players leave for greener pastures nearly as often, if ever. In today's generation, I've seen quite a few players ditch their first teams for seemingly better pastures without much thought of their "reputation". I am sure some athletes do value their reputation in the league, but I've seen quite a few cases where they don't.

There's guys like Lebron, Chris Bosh, Dwight Howard, Carmelo Anthony, Chris Paul, Deron Williams, Vince Carter, Kevin Love, Tracy McGrady, Pau Gasol, Goran Dragic. All-stars who either left their teams in the dust in free agency or pouted like a brat until their teams traded them to a better situation. Kobe Bryant would be on here but technically the Lakers didn't trade him despite him publicly announcing he wanted out.

I understand Kevin Durant hasn't been a diva like some of those guys are, but considering how many times it's happened in the past with other stars, and going off of Woj's credibility as an NBA rumors guy, I wouldn't be surprised if Durant leaves the Thunder for the Warriors.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 05:37:15 PM by MJohnnyboy »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
I read this article, and was waiting for someone to start a thread on it.  I'd be very curious as to how they're any kind of front runner.  The salary cap still exists.  They could release Thompson and Livingston, who are only partially guaranteed, let all their free agents walk, dump Bogut's contract, and still not have enough room to offer a max contract to Durant.  A sign-and-trade is difficult as well, because a) they don't have much in the way of draft picks to offer (late 1st rounders several years into the future are only so interesting), and b) the most logical trade involves Harrison Barnes going to OKC in return.  Since he's a free agent in his own right, you can't just snap your fingers and make t happen.

They can't be the front-runner just because they want to be.

The article also says they'd have to trade away Andre Iguodala for this to work. If they clear Iggy's salary, along with Andrew Bogut and some other contracts, and with Festus not getting a lot of money in RFA, it could work.

Personally, I hate it for Golden State.

Part of what makes them historically good is they can match up with any other lineup, game style and units because of their depth, and that's on both ends of the court. No question adding KD would lift their offensive firepower outside of the solar system, but that's replacing of Bogut's rim protection, and Barnes' and Iggy's defensive versatility.

I hope the Dubs don't do this. Not unless Bob Myers finds a way to sign KD while keeping either Boge's or Iggy.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I see this as an opportunity to acquire Iguodala as an upgrade on Turner.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
I read this article, and was waiting for someone to start a thread on it.  I'd be very curious as to how they're any kind of front runner.  The salary cap still exists.  They could release Thompson and Livingston, who are only partially guaranteed, let all their free agents walk, dump Bogut's contract, and still not have enough room to offer a max contract to Durant.  A sign-and-trade is difficult as well, because a) they don't have much in the way of draft picks to offer (late 1st rounders several years into the future are only so interesting), and b) the most logical trade involves Harrison Barnes going to OKC in return.  Since he's a free agent in his own right, you can't just snap your fingers and make t happen.

They can't be the front-runner just because they want to be.

The article also says they'd have to trade away Andre Iguodala for this to work. If they clear Iggy's salary, along with Andrew Bogut and some other contracts, and with Festus not getting a lot of money in RFA, it could work.

Personally, I hate it for Golden State.

Part of what makes them historically good is they can match up with any other lineup, game style and units because of their depth, and that's on both ends of the court. No question adding KD would lift their offensive firepower outside of the solar system, but that's replacing of Bogut's rim protection, and Barnes' and Iggy's defensive versatility.

I hope the Dubs don't do this. Not unless Bob Myers finds a way to sign KD while keeping either Boge's or Iggy.

I hope they do.  I hope they get a handshake agreement from Durant that he'll sign, and then trade away their entire supporting cast (with us reaping the benefits)

Then Durant pulls a Deandre Jordan and changes his mind and resigns.  It would give GS the kick in the balls they deserve for being that greedy and be the best thing for the league all in one shot.
Greg