Author Topic: Per Woj: Golden State are "significant frontrunners" on Durant if he leaves OKC  (Read 4503 times)

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379
2008 C's would still beat them.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
Is it possible that Durant's camp has leaked this, in order to put pressure on OKC to surround him with more talent?
Jeez ... how much more talent does Durant need around him?

OKC is loaded with talent.

Well apparently he needs about as much as the Warriors have, haha.

Offline dougbelson10000

• Open Roster Spot
  • Tommy Points: 0
The new TV deal revenue really screws teams that have endured rebuilding period.  For example, the maximum theoretical salary cap space for a team like the Celts is the same as teams that have superstars.  How does the NBA expect fans outside the six or so cities lucky enough to draft or sign a superstar to compete?  Really bad for the future of the NBA.

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Do you guys really think professional athletes care about their "reputations" when it comes to leaving their original teams for somewhere better? Especially when they are in the prime of their careers?

Some of them definitely do.  I don't think LeBron's pride would've let him leave Cleveland to go to the Lakers and their existing championship core and established leader, for instance.  Or say, Barkley leaving Phoenix in the 90s to go latch on to Jordan's Bulls.  I'm just not sure Durant's the type to care about that. 

But as I said, the Warriors have already been so successful that it's almost impossible for him to objectively improve their performance.  There's not much individual glory in that, though the rings still count of course.

But didn't Barkley do just that to latch on to the Rockets (who were just coming off of two finals wins). I get that it was in the twilight of his career, but Barkley isn't a prime example here.

Also, I totally agree with higher max salaries. I get the reasoning behind a team max, but a player max makes no sense. No way should Harrison Barnes be making the same as Anthony Davis next year (I realize there are different 'max' amounts for experience, staying with team, etc - just showing an example).

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
Is it possible that Durant's camp has leaked this, in order to put pressure on OKC to surround him with more talent?

"I care so much about winning that I'll just bolt for the best team in the league...unless we have better talent here" type of thing.

No, the article is pretty Warriors-centric with specific quotes from and references to prominent figures in the Warriors organization. As I noted before, there's reason to believe this was a favor for Bob Myers appearing on The Vertical podcast. Doesn't hurt to make the airwaves ahead of the Warriors-Thunder game this Saturday.

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

I think the Warriors have as much raw talent as any team in the league, it's just a matter of that talent fitting together and making enough of a difference on both ends of the floor to be in line with the very best.

In a typical year, OKC might be at the top of the league despite their question marks on defense and in terms of moving the ball around the floor consistently.  OKC is a cut above everybody else in the league aside from Cleveland, Golden State, and San Antonio. 

But they are a clear step below those last two. This isn't a typical year -- we've got two historically great teams dominating everybody else.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1394

I think the Warriors have as much raw talent as any team in the league, it's just a matter of that talent fitting together and making enough of a difference on both ends of the floor to be in line with the very best.

In a typical year, OKC might be at the top of the league despite their question marks on defense and in terms of moving the ball around the floor consistently.  OKC is a cut above everybody else in the league aside from Cleveland, Golden State, and San Antonio. 

But they are a clear step below those last two. This isn't a typical year -- we've got two historically great teams dominating everybody else.

How shocked would you be on scale of 1-10 if the wcf isn't those two teams? I think it is only about 40-50% that that ends up being the matchup.

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I read this article, and was waiting for someone to start a thread on it.  I'd be very curious as to how they're any kind of front runner.  The salary cap still exists.  They could release Thompson and Livingston, who are only partially guaranteed, let all their free agents walk, dump Bogut's contract, and still not have enough room to offer a max contract to Durant.  A sign-and-trade is difficult as well, because a) they don't have much in the way of draft picks to offer (late 1st rounders several years into the future are only so interesting), and b) the most logical trade involves Harrison Barnes going to OKC in return.  Since he's a free agent in his own right, you can't just snap your fingers and make t happen.

They can't be the front-runner just because they want to be.

I feel like if it came down to it, they would trade Klay Thompson for Durant.

Klay next to Westbrook would be a nice back court.

I'm sure they would, but that's a different story than the one being sold of Durant joining Curry, Klay, and Green.  Still a great team, and better than what they've got now, but not quite as ridiculous a concept.

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
Durant is not leaving Westbrook.  Period.

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff

How shocked would you be on scale of 1-10 if the wcf isn't those two teams? I think it is only about 40-50% that that ends up being the matchup.

Wouldn't be shocked in the least. OKC and the Clippers are the two teams capable of pulling off the upset if any teams can. OKC has traditionally given the Spurs fits dating back to 2012; their athleticism and length disrupts the Spurs' pass-heavy offense. The Clippers have actually played Golden State closer than any other top team in the league (OKC notwithstanding since they haven't played the Warriors yet). Let's not forget that the Clippers were a fourth-quarter meltdown and one 24-point lead being blown away from being up 2-0 in their season series versus Golden State this year. They've proven - more so than the Spurs and the Cavs - that they can actually hang with the Warriors.

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

You think Westbrook won't leave him in a year to return to LA?

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff

I think Westbrook is too competitive and addicted to winning to go to a terrible/mediocre Lakers team unless the Lakers are bringing in another marquee free agent.

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
Ah this is classic Bad Woj here.

I think "Basketball Reasons" would be reinstated.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

I think Westbrook is too competitive and addicted to winning to go to a terrible/mediocre Lakers team unless the Lakers are bringing in another marquee free agent.

Even though Durant and Westbrook are two supremely talented players, I never really loved the fit. I know some of us were hopeful for a Rondo+picks for Westbrook swap last year (green-colored classes), but the idea was right. I always thought Chris Paul would have been perfect for Durant - unselfish yet completely able to take over a game. It's too bad Paul is starting to get a bit older at this point.

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1548

San Antonio is historically great at home, but not so historically great on the road (14-8 only on the road this year).  They are still on pace for 68 wins though which puts them in that historically great category.  Should be interesting to see what they end up at.  GS is on pace for 75 wins.  Cleveland is on pace for 61 and OKC for 60.  Be interesting to see if all 4 make it to 60 and if GS actually makes it to 70. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip