Author Topic: Horford for Sullinger. Yes or No?  (Read 3501 times)

Re: Horford for Sullinger. Yes or No?
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2016, 06:56:36 PM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
Absolutely.

The C's would get a great look at him before deciding whether to give him the big money at his age.

« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2016, 06:56:58 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 238
I dont like any trade where we are giving up young assets right now for more expensive pieces unless its for demarcus cousins.

A one year rental is what it would be to appease fans and make a run and giving up sullinger and picks for that with no practice time is not worth it.

« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2016, 07:05:15 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Based on reports here in ATL, the Hawks have no interest in moving Horford. They view him as a key piece in what they're doing right now. As others have posted recently, they're reportedly prepared to offer him a max in the offseason (5 years, $146 mil).

If ATL believes in Horford to the tune of $146 mil, given age and injury history, why would an offer of Sully and two mediocre firsts capture their attention? While I like Lowe, I think his trade-season speculative pieces are fueling quite a few unrealistic proposals around here.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 07:12:50 PM by tarheelsxxiii »
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2016, 07:23:41 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
I believing they won't till he is too old to be his current self.

« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2016, 03:29:56 PM »

Offline celts55

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 570
How about Amir, Sully, and Bradley for Horford and Teaque? Throw in whatever picks you like (Brooklyn excluded)?

« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2016, 03:33:57 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
Horford already said he wants the max not even worth it. Stay away
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2016, 04:39:32 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Horford already said he wants the max not even worth it. Stay away
saying you want the max and actually getting the max are two very different things.  I would like a max contract from a NBA team also.  Just saying.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2016, 04:40:43 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
He an' get n max ....too old

« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2016, 04:53:00 PM »

Offline JohnBoy65

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 132
I don't understand the reluctance to trade away assets. Lowe had a great tweet that said "A (probably very small) subset of Cs fans don't seem to get that to get a star player, you have to trade, like, real stuff." 

Sure, Horford isn't that STAR we're looking for, but a couple picks and Sully for him and people are thinking about saying no?? Makes 0 sense to me.

« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2016, 04:54:17 PM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219
He's getting the max, and so will Howard. Way too many teams will have more than the max available in cap space, so many front offices will be looking to make a splash with all that spending money, and there'll be too few legitimate max players to give the max. Expecting general managers as a whole to exercise restraint is a losing bet. All the borderline max-ish players will get the max. All of them. It will shock fans. Three or four years from now, half the max contracts given out this summer will be featured on a Worst Contracts listicle.
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2016, 04:58:12 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741

Yes. Don't overthink it. Great move for our playoff run this year, and if we can re-sign him then it's a huge win. Sullinger's future isn't with the Celtics.
It would be a bad contact after like a year. Along the same lines of the Johnson contract for the nets.

Eh, I think Horford will age pretty well.  Should be a quality player for another 4-5 years so long as you don't play him too many minutes or expect him to carry your offense.
I want to bump this because I think this is right. He's an injry concern but he also has a game that is going to age very well if he can stay relatively healthy. So yeah, I'd do the OP's deal in a heartbeat.

And btw, he's getting a max deal from someone next year. There's no debate about that.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #41 on: February 03, 2016, 05:09:27 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
Maxxed for sure. Too much money chasing too little talent = NBA inflation.

« Reply #42 on: February 03, 2016, 05:45:46 PM »

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 56
I don't understand the reluctance to trade away assets. Lowe had a great tweet that said "A (probably very small) subset of Cs fans don't seem to get that to get a star player, you have to trade, like, real stuff." 

Sure, Horford isn't that STAR we're looking for, but a couple picks and Sully for him and people are thinking about saying no?? Makes 0 sense to me.
   There certainly is that group of posters that could almost be called "draft pick hoarders" who want to exercise every pick and bring in 7 or 8 teenagers every year to stock our team in Maine, stash in Europe or Australia, and to accumulate DNPs for the Celtics. TP