Author Topic: Horford for Sullinger. Yes or No?  (Read 3509 times)

Re: Horford for Sullinger. Yes or No?
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2016, 02:32:10 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
On the surface, it seems like an obvious 'yes.'

But I keep questioning whether I want to give a 30-something Horford $29.2M / yr over the next five years. Even if we weren't to re-sign him, I suppose it would give us a pretty good run in this year's playoffs, perhaps even winning two series and going to the ECF against Cleveland. But that would just put us back where we are now...I just can't decide  :-\  ;)
« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 04:18:19 PM by jambr380 »

« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2016, 02:57:18 PM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343

Yes. Don't overthink it. Great move for our playoff run this year, and if we can re-sign him then it's a huge win. Sullinger's future isn't with the Celtics.

« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2016, 04:40:41 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 421
Trying to determine what to offer for Horford is so hard since it appears that no one can figure out what his future intentions are. http://www.sportingnews.com/nba-news/4693412-hawks-al-horford-free-agency-other-cities-better-opportunities-nba

Trying to determine what to offer for Horford is so hard since it appears that no one can figure out what his future intentions are. http://www.sportingnews.com/nba-news/4693412-hawks-al-horford-free-agency-other-cities-better-opportunities-nba

I agree its a tough situation to figure out. If I had to guess the Hawks have had preliminary contract talks and are nervous with what they are hearing from Horford or his agent. If the Hawks lose Horford to FA they will be stuck in a tough spot with a roster that will make the playoffs with no hope of contention and very little room for potential player gorwth. Schroeder is their lone long term bright spot. This is where the Adrien Payne #15 pick in 2014 really hurts them. In hind site had they picked Nurkic (#16), Harris (#19), or Hood (#23) they would have a slightly better long term profile.

If they are truly open to a deadline Horford deal I expect they will be looking to make a trade that brings in enough talent to keep them in the top 3-4 teams in the east.

trade ideas

Rockets, trade Horford Splitter, and Teague to Rockets for Howard, Brewer and Dekker
                          http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=h8wrw3u

Raptors,  trade Horford for Valancuinus and CAbocio
                   http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=z4547mp

Wizards, Horford and Korver for NENE and Porter
                http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=jzpwo2t

« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 05:00:16 PM by CFAN38 »
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2016, 04:43:57 PM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17

Yes. Don't overthink it. Great move for our playoff run this year, and if we can re-sign him then it's a huge win. Sullinger's future isn't with the Celtics.
It would be a bad contact after like a year. Along the same lines of the Johnson contract for the nets.

« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2016, 04:50:44 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

I can't fathom why the Hawks would do it.

Even for a half-season rental, they've gotta be able to do better than Sullinger and an expiring, plus a couple of picks in the 20-40 range.
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2016, 04:51:27 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

It would be a bad contact after like a year. Along the same lines of the Johnson contract for the nets.

Eh, I think Horford will age pretty well.  Should be a quality player for another 4-5 years so long as you don't play him too many minutes or expect him to carry your offense.
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2016, 04:57:19 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones

Eh, I think Horford will age pretty well.  Should be a quality player for another 4-5 years so long as you don't play him too many minutes or expect him to carry your offense.

But for $30M/yr, I would absolutely want to play him lots of minutes and have him carry my offense. He is a good defensive player, but not exactly 'elite'. I am not saying I wouldn't be happy to have him here, I just think that we might be disappointed by his contract-production ratio.

« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2016, 05:08:09 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1548

Even for a half-season rental, they've gotta be able to do better than Sullinger and an expiring, plus a couple of picks in the 20-40 range.
I think something like this would be a fair trade given Horford could leave at the end of the year

Horford for Sullinger, Hunter or Rozier, Jerekbo, Dallas or Boston 2016 1st

I think that is a reasonable trade for both teams.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2016, 05:30:54 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

I think something like this would be a fair trade given Horford could leave at the end of the year

looks good to me. Danny prob keeps Rozier instead of Hunter

« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2016, 05:38:48 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

But for $30M/yr, I would absolutely want to play him lots of minutes and have him carry my offense. He is a good defensive player, but not exactly 'elite'. I am not saying I wouldn't be happy to have him here, I just think that we might be disappointed by his contract-production ratio.

I think if the Celts want to make a major upgrade in free agency, they're going to have to be willing to overpay in the contract to production ratio you mention.

They can write that off somewhat by leaning on the fact they've got two high quality players on extremely team-friendly deals in Thomas and Crowder (and to a lesser extent Bradley), plus a boatload of rookie contract guys in the pipeline.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2016, 06:14:29 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
we'd be essentially trading two first round picks to do what we did last year.  Lose to the Cavs in the playoffs.
Greg

« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2016, 06:35:07 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones

I think if the Celts want to make a major upgrade in free agency, they're going to have to be willing to overpay in the contract to production ratio you mention.

They can write that off somewhat by leaning on the fact they've got two high quality players on extremely team-friendly deals in Thomas and Crowder (and to a lesser extent Bradley), plus a boatload of rookie contract guys in the pipeline.

Oh, totally - but, in this case, we would need to give up players/picks and sign him to a HUGE contract. I hope Danny does make a big splash in FA, but I guess I expect a better contract situation in any trade we make.

« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2016, 06:47:53 PM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134

Reasonable trade ?  Come on, you're stealing Horford there.  Hawks aren't doing that, and they can do FAR better.  If you even want a sniff at Horford, you will have to overwhelm the Hawks.

« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2016, 06:53:36 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

Reasonable trade ?  Come on, you're stealing Horford there.  Hawks aren't doing that, and they can do FAR better.  If you even want a sniff at Horford, you will have to overwhelm the Hawks.

no they can't.  Play me out a trade scenario where the hawks get what they want

GSW - No
Cavs - No
NYK - No 
Brooklyn - NO
Houston - No (unless Tjones and a 1st is what you want)
bulls - Unless your trading Portis
Pacers - Unless your trading Turner

who is going to give up what the Hawks exactly want for a guy that is going to be a FA next season?

« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2016, 06:55:03 PM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134

no they can't.  Play me out a trade scenario where the hawks get what they want

GSW - No
Cavs - No
NYK - No 
Brooklyn - NO
Houston - No (unless Tjones and a 1st is what you want)
bulls - Unless your trading Portis
Pacers - Unless your trading Turner

who is going to give up what the Hawks exactly want for a guy that is going to be a FA next season?

Utah