Author Topic: Greg Oden released from Jiangsu Dragons, NBA interest?  (Read 3863 times)

Greg Oden released from Jiangsu Dragons, NBA interest?
« on: February 01, 2016, 08:24:36 PM »

Offline Johnny Mic

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 7
http://www.blazersedge.com/2016/2/1/10891450/greg-oden-cut-jiangsu-dragons

The article asserts he's all done, but does he catch on anywhere stateside?

Here's some footage - he played in 20+ games

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRpYjCikGao

Re: Greg Oden released from Jiangsu Dragons, NBA interest?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2016, 08:32:16 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
http://www.blazersedge.com/2016/2/1/10891450/greg-oden-cut-jiangsu-dragons

The article asserts he's all done, but does he catch on anywhere stateside?

Here's some footage - he played in 20+ games

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRpYjCikGao

He's done

hopefully he was smart enough to save most of the money he made from his rookie contract

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2016, 08:40:03 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
Greg Oden released from Jiangsu Dragons

nope, no nba interest.....

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2016, 08:46:08 PM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17
if the Chinese league has cut him, what can he really do on a NBA team?

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2016, 08:48:12 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Remember Oden or Durant was the draft debate?

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2016, 08:52:02 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2522
I hope he's made some money and is happy despite the disappointment (and physical pain) he probably has experienced. 

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2016, 08:54:19 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

Even worse, the final decision was Oden...really unfortunate for his career and the Blazers.

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2016, 09:20:17 PM »

Offline slightly biased bias fan

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 310

Even worse, the final decision was Oden...really unfortunate for his career and the Blazers.

I think it's extremely unfair to label picking Oden number 1 as a bust. He was never a player that had a poor work ethic, attitude or skill development, he was simply unlucky with injuries. In all honestly Durant could have had the same high chances of injuries given how slightly his build is and his height.

Anthony Bennett is a bust, Thabeet is a bust, but I label Oden as simply unlucky, what if Shaq had an extremely bad injury when he was young and never recovered, is he a bust? Look at Bo Jackson freak of an athlete gets a extremely bad injury...career over.

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2016, 09:24:15 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

I think it's extremely unfair to label picking Oden number 1 as a bust. He was never a player that had a poor work ethic, attitude or skill development, he was simply unlucky with injuries. In all honestly Durant could have had the same high chances of injuries given how slightly his build is and his height.

Anthony Bennett is a bust, Thabeet is a bust, but I label Oden as simply unlucky, what if Shaq had an extremely bad injury when he was young and never recovered, is he a bust? Look at Bo Jackson freak of an athlete gets a extremely bad injury...career over.
have to agree.  Oden's not a bust but a player losing out on a career due to injuries.  same for Sam Bowie another Portland center that couldn't get past leg injuries  (never mind Bill Walton)

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2016, 09:29:34 PM »

• Bill Walton

have to agree.  Oden's not a bust but a player losing out on a career due to injuries.  same for Sam Bowie another Portland center that couldn't get past leg injuries  (never mind Bill Walton)

Exactly, watch young Oden vs 08 Celtics and the way he moves is so natural for a 7'0 player. https://youtu.be/ijvcpIbrljc

I am 6'1 and never had a injury in my sport playing career but last year I had pain in my knee and found out that my right knee is almost bone on bone and I'm 26, these things can happen to anyone.

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2016, 09:37:07 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254

Yeah, I'm gonna go with bust. Like Dolly Parton size bust. Major bust. He used to be Captain Bust, but now he's Major Bust. Some day he may be General Bust or even Commander in Chief Bust.

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2016, 09:44:05 PM »

• Bill Walton

Yeah, I'm gonna go with bust. Like Dolly Parton size bust. Major bust. He used to be Captain Bust, but now he's Major Bust. Some day he may be General Bust or even Commander in Chief Bust.

By that logic if he got shot or ran over after the draft he would still be a bust then?

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2016, 10:05:04 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

I mostly agree but by his own admission Oden had a pretty serious drinking problem in Portland: "that second year in Portland I pretty much became an alcoholic."  And that was the year he was relatively healthy, playing in 61 games.   Reportedly his problems continued in his Miami stint.  His body breaking down was by far the biggest thing but he didn't do himself any favors with his habits.

http://grantland.com/features/a-rare-interview-former-no-1-overall-pick-greg-oden-injury-plagued-career/

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2014/09/15/report-greg-odens-drinking-an-issue-during-season-alleged-domestic-assault/

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2016, 10:51:27 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

By that logic if he got shot or ran over after the draft he would still be a bust then?

I didn't use the word 'bust', just noting that hindsight is major 20/20 in this case.

But it doesn't matter what word one uses to describe a high draft pick that doesn't work out, the result is still the same.

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2016, 07:10:29 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
Doesn't look like Oden is moving any better now than he was when with the Miami Heat. Similar mobility. Similar quickness. Similar explosion. I don't think there is any physical improvement on show there. I don't think anyone in the NBA would get any more out of Oden than Miami got out of him last time around.