Author Topic: Hawks/Heat trade that should happen  (Read 1844 times)

Hawks/Heat trade that should happen
« on: February 01, 2016, 02:07:15 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Atlanta
Horford

for

Miami
Whiteside
Winslow
McRoberts (salary dump)
Stokes (trade filler)

Why for Atlanta? Horford is in the last year of his contract and not only is there concern he won't re-sign, but rumors swirl that the Hawks are considering a reset. Whiteside is expiring, but the Hawks would have the cap space to re-sign him to be their center of the future. The promising Winslow fills the void left by Carroll. McRoberts is a salary dump, but he could have value in Bud's pace and space system if his health ever returns.

Why for Miami? The Heat are in serious danger of losing Whiteside for nothing this summer. While losing Winslow hurts, Riley is in win now mode. Horford is in his prime and fits the current core's window (Bosh, Wade, Dragic). It's a risk, but it's hard to envision Riley losing Horford this summer. The Heat would have the ability to pay him max money since they're also sheding around 8.5M in cap next season by trading away McRoberts and Winslow. The Heat's crunchtime 5 of Bosh, Deng, Horford, Dragic, and Wade would be pretty formidable. Plus, they could potentially add depth with soon to be player buyouts.

Re: Hawks/Heat trade that should happen
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2016, 03:39:30 PM »

Offline LGC88

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 167
Why throwing so much value to Horford who is going to be FA this summer?

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2016, 03:59:36 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
Wes Wilcox, is that you?

Last Summer, J Winslow was worth 4 first round picks.

This Winter, Winslow PLUS the league's leading shot blocker PLUS McBuckets is worth.... the expiring contract of Al Horford?

larbrd33 is going to have a field day with this.....
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2016, 04:15:26 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
Wes Wilcox, is that you?

This Winter, Winslow PLUS the league's leading shot blocker PLUS McBuckets is worth.... the expiring contract of Al Horford?

I love people who think players value doesn't fluctuate. Think Thomas is still worth a late first? Or is Dragic still worth 2 1st's and Max money? By your example, doesn't that mean Kaminsky should be one of the most valued players in the league? Jordan should work the phone and try to pawn him on any GM that has been in a coma since the summer.

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2016, 04:39:08 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
Why throwing so much value to Horford who is going to be FA this summer?

Because the Heat, unlike with Whiteside, will have his (Horford) Bird rights and be able to give him a 5th year, which increases their odds of keeping him. Also, Whiteside is not even used in the majority of 4Q's, but that changes with Horford. They have also been trying to trade McRoberts, but there are no takers. His salary is a pure dump. Winslow is the check that balances all of the above out.

The Heat are all in. This is an all in move.

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2016, 04:59:50 PM »

Offline Al91

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 18
Wes Wilcox, is that you?

I love people who think players value doesn't fluctuate. Think Thomas is still worth a late first? Or is Dragic still worth 2 1st's and Max money? By your example, doesn't that mean Kaminsky should be one of the most valued players in the league? Jordan should work the phone and try to pawn him on any GM that has been in a coma since the summer.

I think the original point is that Winslow has done nothing to become less valued; therefore he's hardly the Jae Crowder-esque throw in that the above trade scenario includes him as.

If I'm Atlanta I want a big I know will stay. Additionally, I don't want Whiteside. At all. Cousins may have the "head case" label, but Whiteside is plain immature. There's no value in that Heat package outside of Winslow.
Long-form is far from dead, but please refrain from paragraph-laden posts! Who wants to read that?!

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2016, 05:12:42 PM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367
Wes Wilcox, is that you?

Whiteside is not really valuable at all in this point of the season. He's been exposed as a worse-than-advertised defender despite gaudy numbers. And knowing that some team will throw max dollars at him this summer, anyone trading for him has to be very nervous that they will either have to make a huge overpay or risk watching him leave.

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2016, 07:08:21 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
Wes Wilcox, is that you?

This is ur attempt to suggest Winslow has lost his value?
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2016, 07:19:00 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
Wes Wilcox, is that you?

I can tell you haven't seen him play much. His potential has changed from that of a potential star, as some pundits labeled him, to that of a solid starter. Could that change with him developing a dependable perimeter game, being able to use his off hand more in handling the ball, and being able to go right on his drives? Certainly. However, right now don't pretend that he's an untouchable.

My first sentence is further solidified by you believing McRoberts has any value whatsoever. The Heat have been trying to trade him for a while, but there are no suitors.

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2016, 08:10:14 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
must be me but I think Atlanta gets the short end of the stick on this deal.  admittedly, I really like Horford but he's by far the best player in the deal.

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2016, 08:12:52 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Wes Wilcox, is that you?

He was never worth 4 firsts to begin with.
I'm bitter.

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2016, 10:50:03 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
Wes Wilcox, is that you?

I can tell you haven't seen him play much. His potential has changed from that of a potential star, as some pundits labeled him, to that of a solid starter. Could that change with him developing a dependable perimeter game, being able to use his off hand more in handling the ball, and being able to go right on his drives? Certainly. However, right now don't pretend that he's an untouchable.

My first sentence is further solidified by you believing McRoberts has any value whatsoever. The Heat have been trying to trade him for a while, but there are no suitors.

You have no idea how much I have or have not watched Justice Winslow play. And just because you're ready to stick some sort of label on him doesn't mean Riley's trading him and Whiteside (who you also have no idea how much I've watched / analyzed) for a 3 month rental of Horford. Know why? Because Riley understands that the resulting team isnt going to win a championship.

Meanwhile, you trying to poke around in semantics about Josh McRoberts doesn't make your proposal a good one. I'm well aware the guy never plays.

This may come as a surprise to you, but just because you have strong opinions doesn't make them correct.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 10:55:58 PM by ssspence »
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2016, 10:57:19 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Way too much for Hordford. But I do think a straight swap (w/ filler) makes sense. Don't believe you give up anything else. Hordford is more likely to leave Atlanta for Miami if Heat want to move on from Whiteside. And Whiteside if with any team will likely resign to get most $. It's all on Heat IMO.

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2016, 11:02:01 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
Wes Wilcox, is that you?

You have no idea how much I have or have not watched Justice Winslow play. And just because you're ready to stick some sort of label on him doesn't mean Riley's trading him and Whiteside (who you also have no idea how much I've watched / analyzed) for a 3 month rental of Horford. Know why? Because Riley understands that the resulting team isnt going to win a championship.

Meanwhile, you trying to poke around in semantics about Josh McRoberts doesn't make your proposal a good one. I'm well aware the guy never plays.

This may come as a surprise to you, but just because you have strong opinions doesn't make them correct.

Just kind of obvious considering what you wrote. But perhaps I'm wrong. In that case, can you breakdown their (Justice and Whiteside) strengths and weaknesses as to why you think the trade is so one sided?

How many years do you think Riley has left?

Does this trade put him in a better position immediately?

What happens if/when they lose Whiteside this summer?