Author Topic: The Maximum Return: A rough look at how Ainge could cash in all the chips (OLD)  (Read 11272 times)

Re: The Maximum Return: A rough look at how Ainge could cash in all the chips
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2016, 01:23:15 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
http://thesportsquotient.com/nba/2015/12/19/boston-is-quietly-turning-into-a-possible-destination-for-kevin

Just putting this thing on this thing. Don't need to do anything with it; just putting it here.

I was skeptical at first, but then I saw the author is a Heat fan!  Now I believe we're getting him and Ben Simmons!  Whooo

Ahh, that would be such a great fit too..
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2016, 11:08:32 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
In that trade Boston doesn't have a 2017 or 2018 1st and thus the trade is impossible.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2016, 02:30:28 PM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219
In that trade Boston doesn't have a 2017 or 2018 1st and thus the trade is impossible.

In what trade?
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2016, 12:17:37 AM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 238
IF we could get a starting 5 of Isaiah, Smart, Hayward, Griffin and Horford I think that should be the goal here.  Giving up Bradley, Crowder and Sullinger plus all our picks definately isn't out of the question in any deal like this. We should look to keep Isaiah, Smart and KO though.  The more I look at it with Durant out there the more names that keep popping up, plus the possibility of getting a big name in the draft,  it's seeming more and more likely we might not get past this draft with at least something big happening.  I like the Gallo idea as well.  There are a lot of combinations out there so good work anyways.

I'm still of the belief that some of these "stars" are somewhat overrated compared to what we have but it's definately getting interesting.  I want to see Smart and KO develop in particular.  Isaiah is already there.  So in any big swap it makes sense.

It is easy to say lets swap Bradley, Crowder and Sully plus picks for better players too though.  All these guys aren't ceiling players and are still developing themselves and are important pieces to our current team. We have to give up something to get something and I get that but I'm still hesitant with any move like this. Even if it's for a guy like Blake.

I really like this combination though. Blake and Horford, with Hayward and Isaiah and Smart and guys like KO, Rozier and Mickey off the bench, would be a Brad Stevens kind of team.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 12:47:16 AM by walker834 »

« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2016, 03:59:09 PM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
Let's say that in two weeks Atlanta and Houston both cave and stop treating Horford and Howard as if they weren't mere expiring rentals, and both settle for the best offer available. It's possible that the best offer at the wire for each would be one mid-late 1st + one early 2nd. If so, we might be able to snag both as a rental duo. Not probable, but possible. So, like, Sully + Lee + Mavs '16 1st + Wolves '16 2nd for Howard, and Amir + Celtics '16 1st + Sixers '16 2nd for Horford. Horford can still play PF, right?

If that's the case, then perhaps we could shoot for the H----rd trifecta and trade for Hayward, too. Howard, Horford, Hayward. Here's how that might look, combined for posting convenience.

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=z2zbo57

Hawks give: Horford
Hawks get: Jerebko, Turner, BOS '16 1st, PHI '16 2nd

Jazz give: Hayward
Jazz get: Amir, Young, BRK '18 1st, BOS '18 1st

Rockets give: Howard
Rockets get: Sully, Lee, DAL '16 1st, MIN '16 2nd

Celtics give: Amir, Sully, Jerebko, Lee, Young, Turner, BRK '18 1st, DAL '16 1st, BOS '16 1st, BOS '18 1st, PHI '16 2nd, MIN '16 2nd
Celtics get: Howard, Horford, Hayward

Isaiah/Smart/Rozier
Hayward/Bradley/Hunter
Crowder
Horford/Olynyk
Howard/Zeller/Mickey

How would that team fare against CLE-GS-SA?

The next season's roster would look like this:

Isaiah/Rozier
Smart/Bradley
Hayward/Hunter
Crowder
Olynyk/Mickey

A potent small ball roster, but weak in the frontcourt. Thankfully, we'd still have the BRK '16 1st. (We'd retain the BRK '17 swap, too, of course.) In addition, we could even maybe get back some of that pick value spent on the rentals by using either/both Horford or Howard in sign-and-trade, especially if the receiving team happens to have a trade exception that matches. Not to mention the massive amount of cap space we'd have, about 47 million.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 04:13:41 PM by Dino Pitino »

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #35 on: February 04, 2016, 04:22:28 PM »

Offline ABOS (A bit of Sanity)

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 13
I hate to burst your bubble because you clearly spent time on this post but I think all three of those trades are low ball offers that the teams wouldn't accept. I mean there is no realistic way we could acquire Hayward, Horford, and D12 and keep this years BKN pick.

Let's say that in two weeks Atlanta and Houston both cave and stop treating Horford and Howard as if they weren't mere expiring rentals, and both settle for the best offer available. It's possible that the best offer at the wire for each would be one mid-late 1st + one early 2nd. If so, we might be able to snag both as a rental duo. Not probable, but possible. So, like, Sully + Lee + Mavs '16 1st + Wolves '16 2nd for Howard, and Amir + Celtics '16 1st + Sixers '16 2nd for Horford. Horford can still play PF, right?

If that's the case, then perhaps we could shoot for the H----rd trifecta and trade for Hayward, too. Howard, Horford, Hayward. Here's how that might look, combined for posting convenience.

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=z2zbo57

Hawks give: Horford
Hawks get: Jerebko, Turner, BOS '16 1st, PHI '16 2nd

Jazz give: Hayward
Jazz get: Amir, Young, BRK '18 1st, BOS '18 1st

Rockets give: Howard
Rockets get: Sully, Lee, DAL '16 1st, MIN '16 2nd

Celtics give: Amir, Sully, Jerebko, Lee, Young, Turner, BRK '18 1st, DAL '16 1st, BOS '16 1st, BOS '18 1st, PHI '16 2nd, MIN '16 2nd
Celtics get: Howard, Horford, Hayward

Isaiah/Smart/Rozier
Hayward/Bradley/Hunter
Crowder
Horford/Olynyk
Howard/Zeller/Mickey

How would that team fare against CLE-GS-SA?

The next season's roster would look like this:

Isaiah/Rozier
Smart/Bradley
Hayward/Hunter
Crowder
Olynyk/Mickey

A potent small ball roster, but weak in the frontcourt. Thankfully, we'd still have the BRK '16 1st. (We'd retain the BRK '17 swap, too, of course.) In addition, we could even maybe get back some of that pick value spent on the rentals by using either/both Horford or Howard in sign-and-trade, especially if the receiving team happens to have a trade exception that matches. Not to mention the massive amount of cap space we'd have, about 47 million.

« Reply #36 on: February 04, 2016, 04:42:31 PM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
I hate to burst your bubble because you clearly spent time on this post but I think all three of those trades are low ball offers that the teams wouldn't accept. I mean there is no realistic way we could acquire Hayward, Horford, and D12 and keep this years BKN pick.

Right, uh, unless...

Let's say that in two weeks Atlanta and Houston both cave and stop treating Horford and Howard as if they weren't mere expiring rentals, and both settle for the best offer available.

The premise is that Atlanta and Houston have both already committed to not paying Horford and Howard the max, and have both already committed to making a trade by the deadline, and will both wind up having to settle for the best that Ainge will give them for a rental because no other team in the market for a rental would have a sufficient combination of picks/contracts/needs. It may not be probable, but that scenario is not unrealistic.

The team with a surplus of picks is in the driver's seat. The teams looking to trade players before they leave as free agents are not. Those teams can whine about not being offered the Nets '16 1st, but ultimately they're the ones under the gun, they're the ones who'll fold and settle for the Best Deal Available, rather than the Best Deal Possible.

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
Bump for an update.

We didn't get Durant with the cap space, but we did get Horford, and we're now in the hunt for Westbrook, we're simultaneously rumored to be negotiating with the Clippers for Griffin, and we did not have to trade the '16 Nets 1st, yet anyway.

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
The HGH Option is now officially dead. Amazing that after all this time it was still in play as of today, and most amazingly, with nothing but patience, Ainge was in position to have all three without forking over a single premium asset, mostly just cap space. Amazing what patience can do.